Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 8:05am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me (arrived)

germantownrob Said:

I have been using this  PID setting posted from a US user from the link Dave posted, I am really liking it.
P=1.3
I=0.06
D=1.5

This setting has been holding a +/- 1f for 24hrs, it is a little slow to recover after a shot but still plenty faster then I am.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

Still in 15amp mode?

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 8:31am

jwoodyu Said:

Still in 15amp mode?

15amp, tank, both boilers on. So far I am very happy with the settings, the weekends I pull more back to back shots so see I will see how it rebounds then.

Now when I look at the display it reads the set point most of the time, if it doesn't it will read it by the time it shows the steam boiler and cycles back to the brew. I know the group keeps things very stable and I never noticed the fluctuation in the cup but mentally it is nice to be visually confirmed that the temp set is the temp the boiler is holding, lol.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:29am

jwoodyu Said:

Right on. If I am up early and in a rush I wrap the group with a tea towel for about 15 min while i shower, flush a little water through and wrap it up again for 10 or so more mins while I shave and dress. I can can get decent enough shots though i would not go making changes based on that scheme.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

I just reread this post and the couple above it.  So, while you're scratching your head wondering why the heck I haven't gotten off the dime and plumbed in my machine yet...I'm wondering the same about why you don't have yours on a programmable timer?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:27pm

emradguy Said:

I just reread this post and the couple above it.  So, while you're scratching your head wondering why the heck I haven't gotten off the dime and plumbed in my machine yet...I'm wondering the same about why you don't have yours on a programmable timer?

Oh it is on a timer hence the condition "if I am up early" ;)  Mine kicks on at 5:45 AM and shuts off at 10:00 PM.  I tend not to screw the timer much because well it sucks to program the thing.  If I am up stupid early i just plug thing into the wall directly to get her going.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 12:39pm

ah, ok, I see.  Mine goes on at 5:30, but you won't catch me up before 6 unless there's an intruder alert or we have to catch an early flight to go somewhere fun.  Mine is also a PIA to reprogram, but it has a bypass button on the front, so if I do want to turn the machine on outside of the programmed block, all I have to do is push it.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 2:22pm

I FINALLY have a plumb-in plan...at least in my head anyways! Why I never considered that there may be water bottles that are rectangular before, I'll never know, but once I did, I realized I could go cheap and do undercounter bottle and flojet supply and undercounter drain.  Now it's just a matter of deciding what pump and bottles, etc.  Oh, and whether to run the lines through the wall, or go through the granite counter.

kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:08pm

emradguy Said:

I FINALLY have a plumb-in plan...at least in my head anyways! Why I never considered that there may be water bottles that are rectangular before, I'll never know, but once I did, I realized I could go cheap and do undercounter bottle and flojet supply and undercounter drain.  Now it's just a matter of deciding what pump and bottles, etc.  Oh, and whether to run the lines through the wall, or go through the granite counter.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

Before I plumbed in to my water line, I ran bottled water with a flojet and used a 5gal bottle for a drain. If you decide to buy your flojet from CC,the model they had listed was incorrect (dont think it was ever changed) the model they carry is the BW4000A wich is upgraded from the 1000A listed. also make sure in your plans you account for a accumulator tank. It helps eliminate the line pressure flux and makes it alot quieter when pulling shots (no burr,burr,burr from flojet pump) also if going with RO bottled water make sure to use a fiber accumulator tank instead of a metal expansion tank. just some tips for ya.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:15pm

thanks, Man!  I haven't done much research on this method yet, so, I really appreciate it.  Plus it's tips like yours that are harder to find.

kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:34pm

your welcome, and anytime. It will really shoot your enjoyment level up a notch or 2 not having to refill a resivor and empying a drip tray 2/3 times a day.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 6:07am

For sure.  I ran my Vivaldi off of a flo-jet setup, and Ill probably do the same thing on my duetto shortly.

I bought the Flo-Jet from Chris Coffee, and the Accumulator tank from EspressoParts, and used 3/8 John Guest Tubing from Chris Coffee, plus some Watts brand fittings from home depot(because I didn't know what ID need till I got the setup in front of me..  Watts is like the Generic John Guest.. same type of fitting, just available at Home Depot).  Worked wonderfully.

Definitely need the accumulator tank.  You can get a larger one if you want, its often called an expansion tank.  The one from espressoparts is nice and small and works great.  The Flo-Jet will run every 2-3 shots.

When I had this setup, I had nice soft, filtered tap water, so I just used a single 5 gallon jug, and refilled it from my kitchen sink as needed.   When I do the setup again, for my duetto where I live now, Ill probably setup home Delivery from Poland Spring for a couple jugs a month.  Im currently using Poland Spring water in the reservoir, Im buying just a bunch of 3l bottles from the grocery store per week, as needed, for a buck a piece.. and Id say I buy ten or twelve every two weeks..  I use a little less than a jug a day in normal use.  But honestly even if I bought ten jugs a week, thats $10.  Cheap enough that I dont care.  YMMV.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 17 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.478291034698)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+