Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
francis francis x1 issue
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > francis francis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:24am
Subject: Re: francis francis x1 issue

I took a look at that gauge on the front of the machine, and well...it sort of tells you the boiler temp.  Where is it reading when you are pulling the shot? I'd take a guess, given the description of your problem, that it's in the steam range, rather than the cup range. If so, you probably need to do a cooling flush before running your shot.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
erimille

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:43am

emradguy Said:

I took a look at that gauge on the front of the machine, and well...it sort of tells you the boiler temp.

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Hah ;) Well... unfortunately the gauge broke (which is why we were able to afford the unit for our office in the first place ;) )  I've got an old VDO car / water gauge I've been thinking about swapping in (in part because I have this around, in part because its a cool gauge), but that's another thread.

emradguy Said:

Where is it reading when you are pulling the shot? I'd take a guess, given the description of your problem, that it's in the steam range, rather than the cup range. If so, you probably need to do a cooling flush before running your shot.

I do a cooling flush before each pull. That said, I'm wondering if something might have burned out and now this is only running in steam range? The two lights (which the Francis Francis X1 uses to tell the user when the unit is at the "right" temperature for both espresso and steam) are working as think they should be.

Testing the temperature of the water coming out (say in a shot glass) what *should* it be?

--e
erimille

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 3:02pm

erimille Said:

Testing the temperature of the water coming out (say in a shot glass) what *should* it be?

My less than scientific measurement concludes the water is approx 83 C coming out of the boiler. I suspect letting the unit warm up a bit more would bring this up a bit closer to the desired temperature, however this exercise indicates the water is roughly at the right temperature for espresso.

While taking the unit apart (to check the electronics for anything that might of burned out) it seems there is an internal PID that can be adjusted. I've never read anything about adjusting Francis Francis X1 temperature levels before.  Considering how down I am about this unit right now, that seemed like a pleasant surprise.

--eric
erimille

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 3:07pm

erimille Said:

While taking the unit apart (to check the electronics for anything that might of burned out) it seems there is an internal PID that can be adjusted. I've never read anything about adjusting Francis Francis X1 temperature levels before.  Considering how down I am about this unit right now, that seemed like a pleasant surprise.

Bookmarking the following in case this may be of use to others

How to adjust the temperature on a Francis Francis X1

"...Not many know that you can actually adjust the temperature on a Francis Francis X1. While the little machine isn't the greatest machine, being a really bad steamer and it's the lack of a three way valve, it's really not that bad at all. With a little tweaking and experience it is capable of brewing some delicious shots. Some Francis Francis machines are equipped with a PID (Proportional–Integral–Derivative) controller. In simple terms a PID is capable of controlling the temperature with a much tighter dead band (dead band being the top and low of the boiler temperature), than a traditional thermostat is. ..."

-- Click Here (coffeechannel.blogspot.com)

-e
erimille

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 9:40am

I gave my francis francis x1 another decalcification run (just in case) and ran this with new pods (again... just to confirm that running with old ones somehow might be a problem). No change. ESE Pods still exploded / imploded and dumped coffee grounds / water out the portofilter. The pressure seems too much as it shoots into the cup and then spurts out everywhere.

I'm thinking the problem is with the boiler pressure (simply being *too* much) but I have no idea how this could happen. I could understand how leaving the unit on might create less pressure, but *more*? that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Does anyone have any idea on how one might test the pressure on one of these units?

still grasping (but thankful for the helpful suggestions thus far),

--e
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > francis francis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389027118683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+