Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 180 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 11:25am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Pressureized portafilters are to true espresso as a blind man is to judging an Ansel Adams print.

Sarobin Said:

Re: pressurised filters - as I understand it, they were a bit more forgiving to a novice's tamping, grinding, etc.

Interesting thought about doing the descale at home - I'll have to look out for guidance on that one!

Posted March 7, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 12:15pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Pressureized portafilters are to true espresso as a blind man is to judging an Ansel Adams print.

Posted March 7, 2013 link

"Pressurized porta-filters are to true espresso as a shot of ever-clear is to a very dry martini."
 View Profile Link to this post
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:10am

Replacement unit arrived last night. About a 10-day turn-around. This was due to a reoccurring ERR1 code.

New unit seems a bit more solid due to better/tighter fitting of all components. May even be a bit heavier. I think the back panel has been re-designed, but I'd have to see pictures of others to be sure. (Even my 8yo son commented that the back looked different!) Another change I noticed was the steam lever and hot water knob both had a noticable "click" when first opening/engaging. My previous unit did not have this. It is like a physical contact switch is being engaged.

Pulls with the rubber blank in place max out at 10-10.5 bar.

Don't know if it's just a brand-new, clean machine, but the initial shots were quite good and smooth. Looking to get back in the groove with the BDB and my recent Sweet Maria order!!

Cheers,

Bryan
Sarobin

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus;...
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:36am

Just had a reply to my enquiry to Gastroback - they won't officially sell to the UK, so it would be totally unsupported. Such a shame, but looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board and choose a different machine.

Thanks for all your help with my questions!
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 6:34pm

Just received my new BDB/B and so far it is a distinct improvement over my previous but beloved BDB.

Differences noted so far:

1.  The plastic insert piece inside the portafilter cup is gone.  
  2.  The portafilter fits in much more snugly with increased resistance.  Less likely to spin out.
  3.  The puck no longer sticks after pulling a shot.
  4.  The pressure is  more precisely dialed in easily yielding  8.5 to 10.5 depending on tamping.
  5.  The machine came with a smaller 16 oz steaming pitcher

Don't really know all the differences between the BES900XL & the BES900XL/B, but it seems apparent that they have tweaked a number of issues.  Very pleased so far.  The /B designation is printed on the shipping box and on the owners manual.
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:30am

This thread has been silent for some time now. Is it dead? Everyone moving along smoothly with their BDB?
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:42am

OK, I'll chime in with some content.

Someone asked a while back about the electrical consumption of the BDB.  I made some measurements using a Kill-A-Watt meter.  These things are great if you are interested in how much power you are using.  You plug the device into the Kill-A-Watt, then plug the Kill-A-Watt into the wall, and it will give you a bunch of data.  However, almost all of your power usage is cooling and heating, so it is not all THAT interesting.

Some quick background:  Electrical consumption is measured in Kilowatt-hours.  That's using 1,000 watts for an hour.  The average for the US is about .09/KW-h.  So, if you run a 100 watt incandescent bulb for 10 hours (1 KW-h), it will cost you about .09.

The Kill-A-Watt meter has a mode where it will average the power consumption over time and give you a projection for the cost of the device over a month.  We make about 4 lattes a day, plus a couple of shots every now and then.  I ran it for about a week, and it told me the BDB is going to cost me about $2.85/month.  That means the rest of this analysis is pretty useless, but here it is anyway.

- When the BDB is shut off, it uses 0.0 watts.  That's not an actual 0 watts, but it is pretty close.  It is probably a lot less than 0.01/month in "standby" mode.
- From ambient temperature to warm up to 200 degrees boiler, it uses about .8 Kw-h.  That means it will cost less than a penny for most of you to warm it up.
- While maintaining temperature, it consumes about 100 watts. If you left it "on" all the time, it would cost you about .1 Kw-h X 24 hours X 30 days x .09cents = $6.48.  In california, about 3X that.

So this raises an interesting question, if it only cost $6 in electricity to keep it on all the time, why don't we just do that?  That way it would always be warm.  Is there any reason no to this? (other then environmentalism)
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:47am

AlexKilpatrick Said:

So this raises an interesting question, if it only cost $6 in electricity to keep it on all the time, why don't we just do that?  That way it would always be warm.  Is there any reason no to this? (other then environmentalism)

Posted March 21, 2013 link

Cuz in California that's $18 and almost enough for a gallon of gas. LOL

Great analysis Alex, thanks.  The question I have is, what parts, if any, in the BDB would be subject to burnout if left on all the time?  For example, would the group head heating unit suffer an early demise?

Michael
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:05pm

Alex
Exposure to heat will degrade  plastic components, that reason along prevents me from running a machine 24 x 7
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:11pm

Is it possible to run the BDB all the time?  I am not at home, but I think it shuts off after an hour no matter what?

If it has the ability to be on all the time, that implies that they tested it for that.  I would guess that it would be fine.

When my warranty is up, I plan to see if I can wire it so that it will turn on when it is plugged in.  Then, I can just use a programmable external timer with my own schedule.
showing page 180 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.396013021469)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+