Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:53am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

Iluvdabean Said:

Something like a hydro lock or steam lock going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcDFzSZ8go

Posted January 19, 2013 link

I have been looking for a reason to use that quote this week, you beat me to it.

It only took removing the plastic front of the knob to find out the knob is no longer able to turn the valve to the closed position, I can use my thumb on the brass while I twist the knob to shut if off now. The knob can spin freely for 1/3 of a turn now with out moving the valve, lots of little shavings. Still usable now and should be a simple enough fix. I can't help but wonder what kind of mojo Jason at Chris' has, he must really want me to bring him some BBQ. LOL.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:36am

More likely your knob.  I did a fix it thread on this a month or two ago explaining the problem and the repair.  Basically, there's a metal insert in the knob under the shiny silver cap that probably came loose, you need to remove it, clean the threads and then put it back in with some thread lock.  Once it dries, put it back on and it should keep your valve closed.  My fix it thread has some photos too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:53am

emradguy Said:

More likely your knob.  I did a fix it thread on this a month or two ago explaining the problem and the repair.  Basically, there's a metal insert in the knob under the shiny silver cap that probably came loose, you need to remove it, clean the threads and then put it back in with some thread lock.  Once it dries, put it back on and it should keep your valve closed.  My fix it thread has some photos too.

Yes, I took it apart and found exactly what you said, just got it all back and on minus the lock tight. Since the hole was ovaled a bit I was able to get a flat screw driver blade to tighten it up, it took a bit of force to undo when I checked so figured to not use lock tight. Road vibration strikes again, I doubt it will loosen again but if so I will add the lock tight step.

Sure wish I had read your thread.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:09am

I think it was Jason at Chris' who suggested that was my problem.  Mine came apart on my custom steam knob that Dave Stephens made for me, so I had the stock one to put back on and verify it really was the problem.  Dave's knob did have some Locktite, and I think it was overtightening that caused my problem, rather than road vibration as it occurred after using the machine for 8 or 9 months (and I got my custom set maybe 6 months before the problem occurred).  I think they designed those inserts with the oval hole for just that purpose - pretty ingenious (or was it "the mother of all inventions" acting on this design).

Here's the thread... http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/603356

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:17am

Im a serious BBQer also....smoking meat on my Traeger...smoke at 180 on smoke setting for 6 hours 180 degrees. Been Qing 40 years...Im 61.

germantownrob Said:

I have been looking for a reason to use that quote this week, you beat me to it.

It only took removing the plastic front of the knob to find out the knob is no longer able to turn the valve to the closed position, I can use my thumb on the brass while I twist the knob to shut if off now. The knob can spin freely for 1/3 of a turn now with out moving the valve, lots of little shavings. Still usable now and should be a simple enough fix. I can't help but wonder what kind of mojo Jason at Chris' has, he must really want me to bring him some BBQ. LOL.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:00pm

germantownrob Said:

but the steam is wet.

John do you think it has anything to do with the mod?

In my mind there is no doubt that the steam is dryer with the no burn tube removed. I think that nice hot steam comes rushing out of the boiler hits the cool wand and condensation does its thing. Take the tube out the wand gets hot so the temperature differential is decreased and there is less condensation. I have gotten the  "your full of sh**" response but I am sold man. 90 percent of what i steam is 4 oz at the time so i never had much issue with steaming power unless I broke out the big jug for a party but the quality was not what felt it should be.

I was one of the CC1 Roadshow reviewers and it sort of pissed me off that little dude could hold its own with my Duetto especially when steaming for a cap or two at the time. When I saw Ron's post I went straight back to my machine and gave it try. Next to plumbing it in that has been the single best mod to machine or process i have made since getting the Duetto a couple of years ago.  

HOLLY FREAKING CRAP ROB I just looked up your home roasting setup when i happened on the Sweet Maria's thread when ordered it. Talk about your Benford home roaster setup Tim the tool man might get sprung over that darn thing. Do you ever sell your product? Do you mind if i ask you a few questions and if so this thread, another thread or email? I actually started my coffee hobby roasting in my original poppery back in the day. I had been considering taking it up again and was looking at what contraptions peeps were building when i found that thing of yours.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:57pm

John it is a done deal, I am burn wand now and I can prove it. Had for fill of caffein for now but made the wife her triple latte and it was another very noticeable improvement to her no fat milk.

I mentioned in here roasting was my main passion, I am always up for talking roasting. It is a beautiful well made machine and Diedrich was a great company to deal with and I dealt with them a lot during the 8-10 months it took to build my machine. Here is the thread with my decision making. "Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1" it is hidden in the archives I believe so give it a post to revive it, probably best to ask me roasting question there. No selling but lots of gifting, time vs roast production at 3.5kg per hour just doesn't make room for a profit but giving it away allows me to roast plenty for practice and have a little something where ever I go.

Iluvdabean Said:

Im a serious BBQer also....smoking meat on my Traeger...smoke at 180 on smoke setting for 6 hours 180 degrees. Been Qing 40 years...Im 61.

I was given a smoky mountain weber as a house warming gift about 3 years ago, bought a BBQ Guru pit controller and have not been able to set foot in a BBQ joint since. I showed my daughter the Lil' Pig, she loves it and thinks I should get it. http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQPIG there is a thread for this talk as well, lol.  "Outdoor cooking Smoking etc!!!" man things get archived quickly.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 1:23pm

emradguy Said:

I think it was Jason at Chris' who suggested that was my problem.  Mine came apart on my custom steam knob that Dave Stephens made for me, so I had the stock one to put back on and verify it really was the problem.  Dave's knob did have some Locktite, and I think it was overtightening that caused my problem, rather than road vibration as it occurred after using the machine for 8 or 9 months (and I got my custom set maybe 6 months before the problem occurred).  I think they designed those inserts with the oval hole for just that purpose - pretty ingenious (or was it "the mother of all inventions" acting on this design).

Here's the thread... http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/603356

You where correct, it is not road vibration, problem is back. Time to break out the lock tight.

Hopefully the type 245 Blue from prime lok won't be overkill, it is what I use on nitro powered off road R/C race trucks, it keeps parts locked on a truck doing 45mph on wash boards and 25' jumps. Since it takes 24hrs to cure I popped the water knob off, I can't get the cap unscrewed with a decent amount of force and I see oozed lock tight when I look inside, to put on the steam side, I figure if this one comes loose there might be a secondary issue.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 5:53pm

Wow I waxed my 08 Silverado crew cab after washing it. 5 1/2 hours worth of shine & detail Im beat. I love BBQ.
Traeger and this guy here Bill Canon took my Q to the next level.

http://texasbbqrub.com/

Heres me on a webber pre Traeger.

germantownrob Said:

John it is a done deal, I am burn wand now and I can prove it. Had for fill of caffein for now but made the wife her triple latte and it was another very noticeable improvement to her no fat milk.

I mentioned in here roasting was my main passion, I am always up for talking roasting. It is a beautiful well made machine and Diedrich was a great company to deal with and I dealt with them a lot during the 8-10 months it took to build my machine. Here is the thread with my decision making. "Question(s) on Toper Cafemino 1KG Roaster & Diedrich IR-1" it is hidden in the archives I believe so give it a post to revive it, probably best to ask me roasting question there. No selling but lots of gifting, time vs roast production at 3.5kg per hour just doesn't make room for a profit but giving it away allows me to roast plenty for practice and have a little something where ever I go.

I was given a smoky mountain weber as a house warming gift about 3 years ago, bought a BBQ Guru pit controller and have not been able to set foot in a BBQ joint since. I showed my daughter the Lil' Pig, she loves it and thinks I should get it. http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQPIG there is a thread for this talk as well, lol.  "Outdoor cooking Smoking etc!!!" man things get archived quickly.

Iluvdabean: califbbq copy.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 7:12pm

germantownrob Said:

John I will be plumbing it in when I figure out the right spot. I need to gut my kitchen and start over, the builder and what must have been his brother in law electrician where a bit challenged to say the least with certain aspects of my home. What that translates into is even though I have a 13' x30' kitchen that has no flow or workable stations so anywhere an coffee station is set up makes it extremely difficult to prep foods for entertaining. Once I figure out the least intrusive spot for the Duetto I will plumb it and since it can be run off a tank I can still move the beast to the bar or outdoor kitchen when needed.

So John be honest, did you chuckle when you saw I bought the Duetto?

Posted January 10, 2013 link

Dude, we must have had the same combination "builder/brother-in law." LOL
Pretty much same kitchen dimensions proportionately, and not nearly enough cabinets...and only 1 circuit for the entire kitchen....which is not to code.
Hp[e you love the new machine. Chris and Mary give it to you straight.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 9 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.629413843155)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+