Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 142 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:19pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Hey guys, has anyone modified a common PF like an E61 to fit (I'm thinking bottomless)? It looks to me like the outside edge of the tabs is a bit too wide, but not much filing should be needed for a good fit. And it would be a heck of a lot cheaper. I can get a whole lot of portafilters for the $80 retail price. I'll probably do this either way, but it would be cool to start with hearing about another's success :)

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 8:28am

BubbaDude Said:

I do a clean water backflush about once a week and the soap clean when notified. I often pre-flush, so I figure I'm doing the soap clean twice as often as Breville recommends.

I make 4 shots a day, and I doubt more frequent cleaning is necessary.

Posted January 17, 2013 link

I read somewhere here (or maybe saw it on a video) that if you hold the 1 (or 2) cup button down for a quick flush, or stop a shot before 7 seconds into it, neither will add to the counter. Specifically I think the reference was to the total before you need to descale, but this might also apply to the 'clean me' alert. When finished with a 'session' I do a couple back flushes with water as most others here do. Each time I hold down the 1 shot button for several seconds. I suspect doing flushes this way does work because I'd be getting a clean me message every 20 days if they were counted, and I do not.

There is something to be said about the convenience of hitting the one cup button and doing something else while it flushes.

There is a possibility I am remembering wrong, but I thought I'd mention it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:25am

PrescottCR Said:

I read somewhere here (or maybe saw it on a video) that if you hold the 1 (or 2) cup button down for a quick flush, or stop a shot before 7 seconds into it, neither will add to the counter. Specifically I think the reference was to the total before you need to descale, but this might also apply to the 'clean me' alert. When finished with a 'session' I do a couple back flushes with water as most others here do. Each time I hold down the 1 shot button for several seconds. I suspect doing flushes this way does work because I'd be getting a clean me message every 20 days if they were counted, and I do not.

There is something to be said about the convenience of hitting the one cup button and doing something else while it flushes.

There is a possibility I am remembering wrong, but I thought I'd mention it.

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Okay, so I know I've read it somewhere in these 142 pages, but what exactly is a clean water backflush?
So far I've only had the 'Clean Me' request once. I do run a 1 cup through the grouphead (PF removed) before and after every shot, but is there something else I should be doing?

For future reference as well, is there a way to search just this thread for keywords? When I search a term I often get 300-400 hits...

Thanks!
Wayne
 View Profile Link to this post
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:10pm

wjordan Said:

I do run a 1 cup through the grouphead (PF removed) before and after every shot

Wayne,

What you are describing above is considered "flushing the grouphead/showe screen" since no PF is in place. A back-flush consists of a PF that has a blank inserted (to prevent water from passing through the PF. It circulates around the show/dispersion screens until the shot is stopped. At this point, the valve opens the release the pressure and the liquid (either clean brew boiler water or brew water mixed with cleaner-inf you added that prior to locking in the PF) gets suctioned back though the tubing that leads out the 3-way valve.

Flushing, as you have described, is OK for dislodging some clinging grounds on the shower screen or to bring the grouphead up to temp, but it is not as thorough of a cleaning as either the clean water or chemical back-flush.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:27pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Flushing, as you have described, is OK for dislodging some clinging grounds on the shower screen or to bring the grouphead up to temp, but it is not as thorough of a cleaning as either the clean water or chemical back-flush.

So this brings up a question - in the original packaging, the rubber insert had a pinhole in it.  The newer shipments, there is no hole.  When using a cleaning tablet, does it matter?  Is the idea to use the cleaning tablet during a backflush only?

Michael
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:38pm

So I just got my BDB around October and I wanted to post in here to say thank you to everyone who has been posting regularly. Your advice and experiments have greatly helped me on my way to great espresso.  Rising up from the murky depths of a daily $** run.
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:40pm

Micheal, I think the logic behind the pinhole is with the tablet in it would create enough pressure to backflush through the 3-way solenoid, and then as the tablet disintegrated it would flow through the portafilter cleaning your spouts as well.  

I think breville got enough feedback about people just wanted blinds (and i'm guessing it saved money) that they got rid of that pinhole and let us keep our portafilters clean.
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 1:50pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Wayne,

What you are describing above is considered "flushing the grouphead/showe screen" since no PF is in place. A back-flush consists of a PF that has a blank inserted (to prevent water from passing through the PF. It circulates around the show/dispersion screens until the shot is stopped. At this point, the valve opens the release the pressure and the liquid (either clean brew boiler water or brew water mixed with cleaner-inf you added that prior to locking in the PF) gets suctioned back though the tubing that leads out the 3-way valve.

So do I fully engage the PF with the insert and run a 2 cup shot? Or is there additional technique involved. Is there any risk in damaging components?

Thanks for the continual feedback (I've only had my machine since October, so I'm learning a lot through this forum).

Wayne
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 2:17pm

Wayne,

This should clarify things for you:
(http://youtu.be/4U6J2JJH9gA)click here(x)
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 3:03pm

JMFishtown Said:

Micheal, I think the logic behind the pinhole is with the tablet in it would create enough pressure to backflush through the 3-way solenoid, and then as the tablet disintegrated it would flow through the portafilter cleaning your spouts as well.

Good to know we can be trusted to clean our own PFs. LOL  My other thought was there might be something bad about fizzy stuff going only through the solenoid but I guess that's not something to worry about.  

JMFishtown Said:

I think breville got enough feedback about people just wanted blinds (and i'm guessing it saved money) that they got rid of that pinhole and let us keep our portafilters clean.

I have to say that I'm impressed with not only the customer support (which in the US only is replace, not necessarily a bad thing) as well as the minor tweaks they make to the product based on reviews, feedback and I'm guessing, repair experience of the returned units.  Now, if I could only memeber
showing page 142 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.479547977448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+