Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Will a voltage converter wreck a Rancilio Silvia?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Will a voltage...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
skinnydoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 8:40pm
Subject: Re: Will a voltage converter wreck a Rancilio Silvia?

Hi.  In the same situation.  With the Silvia and the rocky.  I wonder if I would need the 3000w step down to run both in Berlin?
Thx for any info
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 8:37am

No, 1500W should be enough to run the Silvia and Rocky (850W for heater and pump on Silvia, maybe 200W on the Rocky, plus some headroom for the inductive load when starting up the Rocky).  2000W transformers weren't much more than 1500W when I bought one to step up the US 115V to 230V for my 1400W Gaggia Classic though.
skinnydoc

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 9:38am

thx for the response... I think I'll get the 2000W probably, as I wouldnt want to mess with blowing fuses in the unit, etc....  

click here

only $10 more than the 1500W

Ben
HelenE

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:00am

I ended up selling the Silvia and buying a Vibiemme Domobar while I was in Germany. I'm now back in America with the Vibiemme, which I had converted by some terrific technicians in Germany so that I wouldn't need a converter. For my Anfim grinder (also bought in Germany) I bought a 300W step up/down transformer adapter and everything has worked out beautifully.
skinnydoc

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:10am

HelenE Said:

I ended up selling the Silvia and buying a Vibiemme Domobar while I was in Germany. I'm now back in America with the Vibiemme, which I had converted by some terrific technicians in Germany so that I wouldn't need a converter. For my Anfim grinder (also bought in Germany) I bought a 300W step up/down transformer adapter and everything has worked out beautifully.

Posted January 18, 2013 link

thanks Helen... I was trying to avoid the $$ of buying new there, and wife wrath.   We will be shipping some stuff, so I'm not sure the mass of the coffee thing will make a huge diff in the cost of shipping.  Also, it seems hard to get good coffee there, but I havent tried hard yet, not being there yet!  Do you like your Vibiemme?  Looks like it runs $2000+??  !!

BTW, I roast coffee too, with green beans from Sweetmarias, really great and easy.   I wonder if I can get green beans in Berlin???

opinions?

Ben
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:17am

I don't think it'll be too hard to get green beans by mail order in Germany (other than the potential language issue - how is your German when it comes to cupping notes? ;) ), and it's easy to buy from elsewhere in Europe thanks to the EEC.  I used to use hasbean.co.uk in the UK for my greens in the UK (who will ship outside the UK by Fedex), but I'm sure there are German suppliers.  I've seen some Dutch recommendations around the forum as well I think.
HelenE

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:20am

I was trying to avoid (then-)husband wrath by taking the Silvia with me but in the end he was the one who insisted we dive in with the Vibiemme (yes, it was super expensive and yes, I absolutely love it). You're right, the weight of the Silvia shouldn't make much difference -- I'm sure you've heard all the advice and warnings about how carefully you'll need to pack it. For the trip back here I actually took the Vibiemme back to the place I bought it from and had them pack it and the Anfim for me. They went to town and protected it like a newborn... when I collected it, it was even crated! and then charged me something ridiculous like 10 Euro ... the Germans are just wonderful.

To answer about the coffee -- it was really patchy. I found two or three places with great baristas while I was there, but had to drive a long way to reach them. That said, I was in the Rheinland-Pfalz which isn't renowned for its sophistication (but I loved it).  After a fair bit of research I found great beans. Good beans were easier to find than good coffee.

If you'd like names of any of the Kaffeerösterei (yes, I learned my coffee terms before anything else) I can pass some on. Being in Berlin though, you might have a decent chance of finding great places right there.
HelenE

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:35am

dyqik Said:

I don't think it'll be too hard to get green beans by mail order in Germany (other than the potential language issue - how is your German when it comes to cupping notes? ;) ), and it's easy to buy from elsewhere in Europe thanks to the EEC.  I used to use hasbean.co.uk in the UK for my greens in the UK (who will ship outside the UK by Fedex), but I'm sure there are German suppliers.  I've seen some Dutch recommendations around the forum as well I think.

Posted January 18, 2013 link

I never did get into roasting my own... between the letterpress business and the coffee obsession and the 2.5 kids, I figure I have enough interesting walls to beat my head against ;)
skinnydoc

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:40am

I wouldnt think the Silvia is too delicate... but maybe??  I'm thinking we'll be doing a lot of bubble wrap, etc.

I dont think my wife would allow $2500 or whatever, and I'm not sure I could stomach it either.  Im the only one drinking espresson in the house, and just one double shot in the AM, so that seems a bit steep.   Is the coffee that much better?

I guess I'm wondering if I should actually pack up my Behmor coffee roaster as that would be a bit of a PITA and another large though not super heavy object?    Maybe I should rely on the local roasters?  I'm pretty addicted to fresh roasted beans, having not bought anything else in like 4 years.

We're leaving behind lots of stuff, but kind of funny to be bringing all this coffee stuff (we will be there for 2-3 years).

thanks for the input!

Ben
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Will a voltage...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402326107025)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+