Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 247 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Mysonssecondwordwascoffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville DB BES900XL
Grinder: Barratza Vario-W
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 11:24am
Subject: Re: The perfect shot...

If you go back some posts you can see the history of troubles I had with my first DB and the various replacements...
I eventually got a full refund for my machine - and just bought a brand new one again in June. I just was not willing to fork over several grand for a machine with comparable capabilities.
Having the machine replaced several times (with another refurbished lemon) was a hassle, but when the DB works, it is just a phantastic machine.
The new one has not given me or my wife any trouble. We pull about 6 shots a day, to give you an idea how much use the machine has gotten so far.
I think the machine is the best value currently out there, and if you are unlucky (like me) and get a machine that has issues, they will replace it, and eventually refund your money if the issue cannot be resolved.
I seem to have a "good one" now, and so far, so good. Makes wonderful shots and you can knock yourself out with beautiful latte art as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
toiler

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 11:49am

I had a couple of minor issues with my first two machines. Both replaced. Breville seem to have all the bugs out now with the Series B machines. Makes great shots, hot water spigot is nice to have. Little things like the warm  up clock are worth having as well.

I would recommend  the machine. Breville have proven they will stand behind it.
patou

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:50pm

Thank you both for the replies.

I had a rapid look at the grinder thread. Can you guys at the same time tell me which grinder do you use?  

I did read and read again to get a very good grinder!!!

I was thinking of getting the Breville BCG800xl, but read bad comments about it, maybe they have upgraded it since then. I also read about "washers" (shim kit ?) that seem to upgrade it.  

I will listen to your comments for this.
toiler

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:57pm

I have the Baratza Vario W, and love the way you can adjust the weight volume of  coffee to adjust your shots. I have also required their tech support, which was also  first rate.
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 1:34pm

I have a BDB and Vario at home - wonderful combo that makes awesome espresso when dialed in.

I have a BDB and Breville Smart Grinder (newer version with proper range) at work - not nearly as good but OK. The grinds are more clumped and dense and optimizing is not as easy.

Just because a grinder CAN grind fine enough for espresso doesn't mean that it does it WELL. The Vario produces a MUCH better result every time, even though the Smart Grinder still produces a good result for most people. Once you become a coffeegeek, you will not settle for just a good result.
Mysonssecondwordwascoffee

Espresso: Breville DB BES900XL
Grinder: Barratza Vario-W
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 1:54pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Agree with the 2 prior posters.
I have the Vario-W and we love it.
My wife uses mostly decaf (don't get me started...) so we always have at least 2 different coffees in the house.
We weigh the beans before we grind them, and dump the dose in the hopper and grind the whole dose until the grinder is empty and it is ready for the next coffee. Since we also use different grind settings we enjoy the consistency between setting changes (my 20 second 29g shot will run more or less the same after I redial my settings back in after my wife).
In retrospect I should have just gotten the Vario without the built-in scale and saved a few $$$, but if you do not go back and forth between coffees and don't want to use a scale (we also weigh our shots, so we need a scale anyways) it certainly is very convenient to just fill the hopper and not worry about your dose.
I also find that emptying the receptacle under the grinder by tapping it on the portafilter while you pour it in makes for a very even dose before tamping it and is not as messy as what you get out of a doserless grinder.

Overall very happy with the BDB and Vario Combo.
compaddict

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Proline W/Mazzer burrs
Drip: Capresso MT600
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 2:21pm

So many people like the Vario-W.. The biggest problem is that the adjustment is not directly linked to the sliders. So if like me, trying to adjust down to change my grind and not having it adjust can be painful. I like a knob that when I turn it, it works. YMMV.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 9:47pm

Another vote for the Baratza, although I didn't go for the W model.

Here's a tip- turn the grinder on and adjust it while it's running. Every grinder manual I have ever read (with the exception of the Swift) says to adjust while running. This gets rid of the in-between grind setting grounds and is more likely to leave you with all new setting ground coffee in your next shot.

Also- before you pull your first shot in the morning (or after a period of non-use) run your grinder about 4 seconds to get out the ground coffee left in between the burrs. The nice thing about small burrs is you don't have 1/2 a shot's worth of ground coffee sitting in your grinder like a 'pro' grinder would.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 6:11am

I have had the BDB and Baratza Vario for almost a year. Great tech support on both (but I didn't use either a lot).

I do about 4-5 shots a day. Makes fantastic espresso using a local roaster's beans.

So far (watch I just jinxed myself lol) so good with no real problems that this forum and/or a quick tech support call couldn't cure.

IMHO At the price point this combo is hard to beat! And Yes, I would love to be able to afford a "megabucks Italian machine" but I can't.

So I guess I'll just have to sip my bargain priced espressos and sigh (lmao).

Hope this helps

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Oracle

For anyone interested in the Oracle and in the US, it's listed on the Breville site for $2k. No 920 yet.

The Oracle page has a spot to sign up for notification when it's available.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-oracle.html

There's also a couple videos of it in action. Hard to beat for function/price ratio.
showing page 247 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367921829224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+