Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia V3 & Rocky Doserless (Help)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
waxings

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 7:34am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia V3 & Rocky Doserless (Help)

I am new to this combo. I previously had a Jura Ena 9 and I am sure many can testify is a big difference. The reason for my post is to determine if what I am experiencing is normal and part of the learning curve? The problem that I am seeing has to do with the grind, tamp and extraction process. I have read many posts and watched many videos on this process and what I am seeing is my settings are nowhere close to what I am seeing others are using. I understand that every machine is going to be different and that there are may factors that come into play when it comes to this topic.

What I have found is any grind under say 16-15 will choke the Rancilio with little tamping. Anything above that setting I can tamp but it is nowhere close to 30lbs. This morning I had a really good double shot (after 5 unusable shots, arggg! :) The Rocky was set to around 17 and I put some pressure on the tamp but not 30 lbs. My exaction time was 25 seconds and it pulled real close to (2) = 1.25 oz shots. The crema was good but not great. The shot tasted good too. I am using beans from a local roasting company that are really fresh. I live in the Midwest and I would assume the air would be considered dry for the time of year we are in. Most of the places that I have visited have the Rocky well below what I have my settings at. I typically see  it under 10.

I want to be sure that this is normal and I don't have a problem with the Grinder and or the Silvia's pressure. Is it typical to have the Rocky at a setting like this in order to tamp and pull a shot that does not choke? Is this even something that I should be concerned with? What I am trying for is a fine grind that I can tamp with 15-30lbs of pressure that can generate a good double in a time of around 25 seconds. In order for me to hit all three I am going to need to change the Grinders setting above 16-17 and for some reason that does not seem right?

Thanks so much for your time and help.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 7:44am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia V3 & Rocky Doserless (Help)

I've never seen a post from anyone reporting their Rocky grinding for espresso at a setting in the teens.  It may be yours is not calibrated properly.  Alternatively, you could be dosing much more than you should.  Rather than focusing on the numbers, try for a moment to focus on what's in the cup.  If you like it, all is well.  If not, then continue to seek the source of your "problem".  Many people, myself included, no longer consider the Rocky to be very good for espresso grinding.  For me, the main reason is the steps are too wide, such that to get the proper extraction you need to alter the dose slightly most of the time once you get the grind set approximately where you want it.  For that reason, I would recommend you consider an upgrade.

There's a great article on diagnosing and improving your shot problems on www.espressomyespresso.com or www.frcndigital.com (same guy, same article).  Here's a link: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToEspresso.html

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
waxings

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 9:22am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia V3 & Rocky Doserless (Help)

Thanks for the post. The problem with an upgrade is that it is brand new. I am so new to this I just want to make sure that the equipment that I have is working correctly. Either the settings are off, I am grinding wrong or the pressure in the head is not enough and is choking the machine (if that is even possible?)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.325388908386)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+