Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

I just got to see the Duetto 3 that my friend got from Clive pull some bottomless Redbird shots, with locally made wooden portafilter handle and E61 lever knob. Man, it's just the nicest thing I've ever seen. He owned the MK1 Alex that he sold to me for 5 years, and I'm extremely confident in the quality of my machine holding up for a lot longer.

And I thought my rotary pump was quiet! If you can afford the Duetto 3, don't hesitate, it looks like the greatest machine ever made. Pardon my caffeinated ramblings, but I can't wait until I can afford to get back into the PID game. I doubt I'll be able to afford this one, but I'll be doing a serious test between the QM67, Duetto2 and Brewtus. The R58 and Dream are going in a direction I'm not really interested in.

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
airflite1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:15pm

What direction on the R58 are you talking about? I've narrowed it down to an R58 and the Duetto 3, I'm leaning towards the R58 mainly for ascetics. I just don't want to buy a machine I'll want to replace in a year or two...
 View Profile Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:20am

What machine do you currently have, and have you used a PID before? For me, I like to use the PID often to experiment with my new roasts. I can't imagine why a company would want to remove the look of a PID by making the controller external, and thus this machine doesn't offer any advantages to me over other models which cost less.

I don't even know what to say about your last sentence. You're talking about the finest home machines available and leaning towards one based on aesthetics, on what grounds could you possibly need to replace either of them for in a year or two?

Time to unsubscribe from this thread.

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
airflite1

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 9:01am

Thank you for answering my question, I knew the difference about the PIDs, from your previous post I thought I might have missed something else about the R58, as far as your comment about aesthetics, I find it hard to believe once anyone narrow's it down to two or three different machines will go with the one that looks best. I am new to the espresso world other than spending a couple weeks in Italy and was blown away by how much better their coffee was. In the last couple of weeks researching I've gone from planning to get a Breville DB, then looked at Pasquini livia 90 then almost bought a Bezzera Magica but they were out of stock. I don't see anything wrong with going to the high end right away, the big advantage I've gathered visiting with the salesman and reading posts is they are very consistent so that would be even more favorable to a beginner. I'm rambling I guess because you come across very arrogant...
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 6:40pm

airflite1 Said:

I am new to the espresso world other than spending a couple weeks in Italy and was blown away by how much better their coffee was. In the last couple of weeks researching I've gone from planning to get a Breville DB, then looked at Pasquini livia 90 then almost bought a Bezzera Magica but they were out of stock. I don't see anything wrong with going to the high end right away, the big advantage I've gathered visiting with the salesman and reading posts is they are very consistent so that would be even more favorable to a beginner.

Posted January 17, 2013 link

Nothing wrong with jumping right into the big leagues if you have the cash and desire to learn, but I hope you have done your research on the other aspects of espresso. Beyond the machine, which is just a hot water pump, there is the grinder. The grinder is arguably more important than the machine, though since you were looking at prosumer models I see we failed to question your pairing. That said, what grinder do you plan to use with your double boiler? This can be a serious cut in your budget, and you will not succeed in making halfway drinkable espresso without one.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
airflite1

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 8:04pm

acasabia Said:

Nothing wrong with jumping right into the big leagues if you have the cash and desire to learn, but I hope you have done your research on the other aspects of espresso. Beyond the machine, which is just a hot water pump, there is the grinder. The grinder is arguably more important than the machine, though since you were looking at prosumer models I see we failed to question your pairing. That said, what grinder do you plan to use with your double boiler? This can be a serious cut in your budget, and you will not succeed in making halfway drinkable espresso without one.

Posted January 18, 2013 link

We got home from our vacation on the 2nd and my wife makes fun of my constant researching. knowing how I'd use a PID I've decided to go with the R58, I really like the looks and appreciate the little details. as far as grinders I plan on going with the doserless mazzer mini A. Whole latte love won't get the R58s in until the end of January so I have a few days to decide. On price alone I was going to go with the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso but I've read about some reliability issues. The Rancilio Rocky was also on my list to check out, but the problem is I really live in the middle of nowhere and I have to rely on forums and salesmen to make decisions.
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 8:17pm

airflite1 Said:

We got home from our vacation on the 2nd and my wife makes fun of my constant researching. knowing how I'd use a PID I've decided to go with the R58, I really like the looks and appreciate the little details. as far as grinders I plan on going with the doserless mazzer mini A. Whole latte love won't get the R58s in until the end of January so I have a few days to decide. On price alone I was going to go with the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso but I've read about some reliability issues. The Rancilio Rocky was also on my list to check out, but the problem is I really live in the middle of nowhere and I have to rely on forums and salesmen to make decisions.

Why not the Baratza Vario?? I am waiting until Chris Coffee decides if the R58 is now good enough to be sold by his company. I do like the R58 best, but dont like the price.  It seems the PID on the Duetto is so close to the E61 that it is very easy to burn yourself when changing temps. I also dont like the pump on top of the motor. Im thinking I can leave the PID plugged in on the R58 and velcro it to the side of the machine or something.
airflite1

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:10am

Why not the Baratza Vario?? I am waiting until Chris Coffee decides if the R58 is now good enough to be sold by his company. I do like the R58 best, but dont like the price.  It seems the PID on the Duetto is so close to the E61 that it is very easy to burn yourself when changing temps. I also dont like the pump on top of the motor. Im thinking I can leave the PID plugged in on the R58 and velcro it to the side of the machine or something.[x

I'll look at the vario, I know how my brain works and after I'm happy with the settings I doubt I would want to play with the settings on the PID more than once or twice a year. I feel the little details are what brought the price of the R58 higher I spent a couple years working in R&D and I have a little idea how quick that adds to cost to manufacture especially on something with low production numbers.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:54am

airflite1 Said:

On a machine like this you may find the smaller grinders to be slow. I would second your Mazzer bid, also recommending the Quamar M80e since it has similar specs and I have had excellent results with mine. Ive used mazzers in café's and would say that their larger models are quieter, but in the mini range you wont see much difference. Mazzer does have a wider user base, so if you have issues it will be easier to find help/replacement parts.

That said I hope you enjoy the r58, I wouldn't say I'd make that choice myself... that external PID is just waiting to break, and their means of performing software updates is a bit inconvenient. If you still can, I'd encourage you to save some cash and go with the Alex given it's traditional PID, wider user base, and effective design.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:09am

airflite1 Said:

"I do like the R58 best, but dont like the price".

I found that WLL had the best price on the R58 than others when i called them, i believe they also mentioned special packing was being used to prevent shipping damages. Also the doserless polished Rocket mazzer mini type A ships with the medium hopper not the smallest mini hopper, you have to ask them to swap it.  

WS
showing page 4 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.418771028519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+