Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
francis francis x1 issue
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > francis francis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
erimille

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 3:27pm
Subject: francis francis x1 issue

New (to me) Francis Francis x1. The unit is an older one that I'm guessing has been refurbished some where down the line (brass boiler). The condition and price were good enough to convince me to move on this even after reading all of the review and lack of access to parts... now 3 weeks later i'm feeling a bit like a sucker ;)

Unit worked great (being used in small office setting w/ only pods) until I left the unit on accidentally over night.  Before leaving it on I was able to cinch down on the Portafilter to create a tight fit. Now, I'm afraid its simply no longer a tight fit.  Water is no longer forced though the coffee pods, but seems to rather happily travel every place else.

I know parts seem to be hard to come by, but was wondering (a) what this gasket might be called so i can more effectively look for this and or (b) a pointer to sed part and or (c) a pointer to an alternative gasket that might be the right fit.

thanks in advance,

--eric

ps: fwiw, i really enjoyed the 3 weeks worth of espresso that came from this machine before things stopped working. missing it already.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:51pm
Subject: Re: francis francis x1 issue

It is called the group head gasket. They should be replaced at least every year and most change them at least every six months.

Illy owns ff so you might be able to find parts through them.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
erimille

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 8:19am

calblacksmith Said:

It is called the group head gasket. They should be replaced at least every year and most change them at least every six months.

Illy owns ff so you might be able to find parts through them.

Posted January 16, 2013 link

Brilliant, thanks!!!

A quick call to Illy (and now armed with the knowledge of what to ask for) and a new group head gasket + o-ring is on its way. Total cost about 4$ for parts + shipping runs around $12.

Hopefully (in 7-10 days depending on shipping) we should be back to brewing ;)

Much appreciated,

--eric
erimille

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 9:07am

New group head gasket + o-ring have been installed. After being told it would be 7-10 days, they arrived only 3 days later. The portafilter now creates a tight fit, but I'm afraid the problem still exists. Attempting to brew Illy ESE pods after a couple of seconds they explode / implode and coffee and water just streams out everywhere. While no longer spiting out of the top of the portofilter as it did before (due to new gaskets), the result is still, well, less than useful.

Would leaving a unit over night cause any sort of malfunction that would result in increase the water pressure / volume? I'm grasping a bit, so any thoughts or additional suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--e
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 9:32am

Did you install the gasket correctly? There is a top and bottom to the gasket.
erimille

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 9:57am

50:50 chance ;) How can you tell which is top and bottom?

--eric
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 10:07am

The bottom of the filter is completely flat.  The top has the company logo and a slight bevel on the edge.
erimille

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 11:33am

steven_meyer Said:

The bottom of the filter is completely flat.  The top has the company logo and a slight bevel on the edge.

Posted January 20, 2013 link

I'm afraid if there is a difference between the top and bottom of the francis francis x1 head gasket I can't tell. I don't see any logo marking or bevel on either the old or new gasket.  Thanks btw for the suggestion.

I've flipped it (just in case) but the results are the same. The Illy ESE pods explode / implode after about a second and coffee and water just stream out.

Thinking an increase in water pressure / volume (simply by leaving this on) might be unlikely, I'm wondering if the problem might be with old pods. I'm testing this with pods that have expired. I had assumed expired pods would simply not taste as good, but is it possible that they also loose some integrity over time?

still grasping....

--e
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 8:21pm

I 'm not sure if I read this or not, but are you using the correct portafilter/basket? Im not sure if Ff machines use the same pf and a different basket for pods, or a separate pf for pods.
erimille

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:34am

MochaJoe Said:

I 'm not sure if I read this or not, but are you using the correct portafilter/basket? Im not sure if Ff machines use the same pf and a different basket for pods, or a separate pf for pods.

Posted January 20, 2013 link

Thanks for verifying. At this point i'd be happy to find out its user error. Anything to get back to brewing ;) The FF 1 machines have a separate portofilter for ESE pods as one for regular grounds. I have both, but have been only testing this with pods and using the appropriate portofilter.

It worked fine before, brewing 4+ espressos from ESE pods a day. After leaving the unit on over night however.... well, i'm still not sure what the problem is.

--eric
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > francis francis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455572843552)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+