Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 71 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:10pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

if one contact is not breaking before the other is making, that's a short circuit right there. No way to tell at a distance.

How?  The Normally Closed aren't connected to anything. That's the sacrificial relay. It's just switches the element off and on.
But first line looks like they'd love to sell you one at $40+.  Great advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
hirschaj
hirschaj
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: i-Mini
Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:24am

SStones Said:

I try to stay out of this thread, as you all love your Cuadra machines, and I was told to mind my own business when I ranted about the lack of quality found in some Cuadras...

Posted December 24, 2012 link

I didn't see anyone telling you to mind your own business in the thread, people were just making a point about how you entered this thread and dumped on their machines. Your observations might be absolutely correct, I have no idea, but the way you joined this discussion is probably what rubbed people the wrong way. It sounds like you know a good bit about espresso machines in general and I think most people are glad to get helpful advice from those who have the proper knowledge, but the advice wont be received well if it's presented in an off-putting manner.

Thanks for the information you provided. I hope I'll never need it but if I do have a problem I'm sure I'll review it.
tigermilk

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:43am

slybarman Said:

I had the same problem with the valve sticking when I first got my machine. Jim from 1st line can email you instructions on how to clean it. Mine seemed to free itself up after I used the machine a couple of times and I never had to clean it. It has been fine ever since. Since then I have had a couple instances of thermosyphon stall where the boiler was hot by the group head was cool. That is easily remedied by a long flush of the group head.

Posted July 29, 2012 link

Anyone want to send me instructions (tigermilk at sbcglobal dot net)?  I have an email into 1st line but no response yet and I'm getting antsy.  It's been a real pain over the past week - sometimes takes a good 10-20 seconds for water to come out of the head and of course it's lukewarm, so another 10-15 minutes just for a caffeine hit.  Needless to say, the French Press has been getting plenty of use lately.  Definitely seems like I've got a stall in there.
tigermilk

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 6:53am

Anyone??? Still haven't gotten the machine functioning back to 100% normal yet.  Just a bunch of flushing and still I get a "vapor lock".  The other thing I forgot to mention is that since this potential thermosyphon stall started, my pucks have been coming out wet.  Nothing has changed in my process in the last 12 months but the results certainly have.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 7:59am

What you are describing is not a thermosyphon stall. If it were, it would be cured by flushing the brew head to relieve the steam in the HX system.

Have you opened your steam valve to try to purge any air that might be in the system?

Beyond that, I would say you need to get in touch with Jim. If he did not get your email for whatever reason, pick up the phone.
tigermilk

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:20am

slybarman Said:

What you are describing is not a thermosyphon stall. If it were, it would be cured by flushing the brew head to relieve the steam in the HX system.

Have you opened your steam valve to try to purge any air that might be in the system?

Beyond that, I would say you need to get in touch with Jim. If he did not get your email for whatever reason, pick up the phone.

Posted January 6, 2013 link

I make a lot of lattes and have also been making some hot chocolates lately, so the steam wand gets daily use.  How long should I leave it open to see if it purges?

FYI, the longer it sits between use (when on), the longer it takes to purge the steam from the group head.
washburned

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 8:54pm

I have had the cuadra for just over a week now.  I am still working to get good shots. To be fair I have yet to have time to pull more than two in a row on any given day  I am new to all this and am finding the learning curve to be challenging.  I have lowered the boiler pressure this morning and that in itself did not make a noticeable difference. I am playing with dose and grind on my vario grinder and am still getting 10-15 sec shots aside from the one odd 2min shot. One question is I thought i had read that the cuadras were coming with an insulated boiler.  I only see insulation between the water tank and the boiler.
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:07am

There are a couple different models of the Cuadra. If you look on the 1st Line website, you will see the differences between them. Sounds like you do not have the Cuadra II which comes with the boiler fully insulated and the no burn steam/hot water arms.
washburned

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:32am

cruizie Said:

There are a couple different models of the Cuadra. If you look on the 1st Line website, you will see the differences between them. Sounds like you do not have the Cuadra II which comes with the boiler fully insulated and the no burn steam/hot water arms.

Posted January 10, 2013 link

I did order the Cuadra II.  It does have the no burn 2 hole steam wand and hot water wand.
Mr_Faineant

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:05pm

I just acquired a coffee roaster. I've no idea where to begin. Any of you dabbled in home roasting and want to set me in the right direction?
showing page 71 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41516494751)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+