Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
viebemme pressure issues
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > viebemme...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
smasha

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:38am
Subject: viebemme pressure issues

Hi

at work we have a viebemme HX machine with vibration pump.  often when pulling a shot the pressure gauge can read 5-7 bar other times it goes well over 12 bar and jumps up to 15 and back down to 12 bar.

I thought most HX machines are meant to pump at a constant 8-10 bar and grind and tamp effect flow time and the aim is for a 25 second flow for a double shot with 14 g or so of fresh ground coffee.

so I assume there is something wrong with this machine and that is probably the vibration pump or possibly the pressure gauge.  comments or suggestions of how to find the cause and plan for repair will be very useful!

thanks coffee geeks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:34pm
Subject: Re: viebemme pressure issues

Likely there is nothing wrong with the pump if it can deliver 15 bar.
The problem is likely in the pressure relief valve. if it was working before properly and recently started doing this, it probably has the correct spring in it, so all that may be needed is to remove the adjustment screw, spring, and piston, clean as necessary, lube with DOW111 and reassemble and adjust.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 7:21pm

The pump can't control the pressure, it just creates flow.  If your grinds are loosely tamped or too coarse, the water will run through them easily and the brew pressure will be very low. Pressure rises due to your espresso grinds restricting the flow.
I would adjust the relief valve (OPV in these forums) to limit the maximum to about 10 bar for your pump's safety, and see if you get a steady 9 bar +20 second pull on a finely ground, evenly tamped double espresso.
smasha

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 3:31am

what I am confused about the issue on pressure is at home my rocket with a rotary pump produces a constant 9 bar of pressure.  If the grind is too fine and tamp too firm then the time taken is > 30 seconds for a double shot.  If the grind too coarse and tamp too light the time taken is < 15 seconds.  So to get a perfect brew I adjust grind and tamp top achieve a 25 second brew time.  In all situations the brew pressure is fixed at 9 bar.

the veibemme at work with a vibration pump varies the pressure dependent grind and tamp; sometimes the pressure is low at 6 bar, sometimes it is high at 14+ bar.

So is this difference that I have observed the difference between vibration and rotary pump?  or is something wrong with the veibemme vibration pump?
DavecUK

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:45pm

smasha Said:

what I am confused about the issue on pressure is at home my rocket with a rotary pump produces a constant 9 bar of pressure.  If the grind is too fine and tamp too firm then the time taken is > 30 seconds for a double shot.  If the grind too coarse and tamp too light the time taken is < 15 seconds.  So to get a perfect brew I adjust grind and tamp to achieve a 25 second brew time.  In all situations the brew pressure is fixed at 9 bar.

Posted January 16, 2013 link

This is because the pressure is taken from the pump head within the sealed brew circuit and the flow of the pump is so great that even with no portafilter in you will see a pressure of 9 bar. The size of the gicleur within the E61 group (0.6 mm possibly larger on your machine) is so small that a rotary pumps flow will always show at 9 bar (or whatever pressure you have set the pump to) because of the restriction.
stefano65
stefano65

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 2:22pm

insert the blind filter
activate the brewing
wait untill pressure build up
unscrew OPV valve until reads 9-10
release pressure
try couple of more times and see if the reading is constant

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
smasha

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 4:09am

thanks for the replies and apologies for my poorly written post above .... did not proof read it :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > viebemme...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.396624088287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+