Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help needed and will be appreciated!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help needed and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Help needed and will be appreciated!

Ease of use + quality coffee

What is bottom of the range here? CharityV above mentioned "unless...$700+". That or around that would be fine. I already see $400 was completely unreasonable.

The reason I'm reluctant to buy a machine that is heat inconsistent (or consistently not producing very hot) or very capricious about the grind (something I read over and over again) is that it will be collecting dust. Mornings will not afford me the luxury of 2-3 tries to get it right. The objective here is to enjoy and be practical rather than recreational.

I really appreciate everybody's patience here--I'm learning on the go as I read every post.

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:36am

In a SBDU machine, to be consistent without temp surfing  (which does work but not as well as a PID) a PID is really required. Even better would be a HX machine. New, they start at the $1K mark but used, you can pick up a machine such as an Oscar for $550 to $600 and they represent a very good value for money spent.

The LeLit  
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/lelit/PL041.htm  
is a good, basic machine that would benefit from a PID but even without, it is a good quality SBDU machine though you will need to temp surf. At $429 it is not over priced for the quality it represents, but then to make it user friendly, a PID should be added and then the price gets up there to what a Sylvia without PID costs.

Both the PID Le Lit and the standard Sylvia though are higher in cost than a used Oscar can be bought for so the decision of which way you want to go needs to be thought out.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:53am

emil3m Said:

The reason I'm reluctant to buy a machine that is heat inconsistent (or consistently not producing very hot) or very capricious about the grind (something I read over and over again) is that it will be collecting dust. Mornings will not afford me the luxury of 2-3 tries to get it right.

Posted January 16, 2013 link

Those statements worry me. Espresso is (or, depending on your standards, can be) an exacting enterprise. "Getting it right" can be anything from, "At least I didn't have to spit it out on the floor," to, "This pull is not as chocolaty as I like." There is a learning curve that can last about as long as you own the machine, again, depending on your standards.

Maybe a nice grinder and a quality coffee maker will suffice? A Mazzer Mini paired with either a Behmor Brazen and/or an Espro Press...?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help needed and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347794055939)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+