Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic proofing
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
_aki

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 5:17pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic proofing

Hello,

After reading this guide: Click Here (www.coffeecrew.com) I decided to proof my Gaggia Classic.

The guide says:

"Turn on your machine and wait at least 15 -20 minutes so that it is thoroughly warmed up.
Get a small styrofoam cup of the take-out variety and mark a line measuring the 2 ounce level, and another mark measuring the 3 ounce level. In metric terms that's roughly 60 ml and 90 ml respectively. Next, you will need to find a good quality dial type frothing thermometer and insert it horizontally through the cup. The point of the thermometer should not puncture the other side and the thermometer should be inserted low enough in the cup that the stem is covered by water. Place the cup along with the thermometer underneath your group and turn ON the brew switch and draw at least two ounces of water. Turn OFF the brew switch when you have enough water in the cup. Measure the maximum temperature achieved.
Repeat this test several times in a row using the 2 ounce mark. Do the test again using the 3 ounce mark.

If you are not attaining at least 192F (89C) in all tests, then your thermostat is running too cool. I would be tempted to either return the machine or replace the thermostat."

I did this four times for 2 oz (60 ml) and four times for 3 oz (90 ml). I waited approximately 1-2 minutes between times, used half a plastic squeezy bottle for the water and a Thermapen to measure the temperature. http://thermapen.co.uk/
I had the portafilter in when I did the tests.

My measurements are as follow:

60 ml -
  1. 87.0C, 188.6F
  2. 87.8C, 190.04F
  3. 84.0C, 183.2F
  4. 81.2C, 178.16F

90 ml -
  1. 87.8C, 190.04F
  2. 81.1C, 177.98F
  3. 81.0C, 177.8F
  4. 82.5C, 180.5F

So my question is, should I care about not hitting the 89C/192F that the guide states is the target?

I think my espressos are a good temperature but this test got me wondering.

Thanks in advance,
_aki
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 10:17pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic proofing

I can see getting mixed results based on where in the cycle the machine is at.

Therefore, if you're absolutely worried put a thermistor on the boiler and pull around 240 degrees or you can try other means to temperature surf. After that remeasure.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:09am

I think it's important to know that the styrofoam cup method, being rather fuzzy, will only give you an approximation of brewing temperatures.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:44am

I agree with Nobby here, the cup/thermometer method is only a rough indicator at best. It will always be cooler than the true temp of the water, no thermometer is able to react fast enough to be more than a rough guess using this method.

You are in the ball park of what would be expected using this method, which has been around for a long time. It is not new and we have talked about it many, many times here.

If it was accurate enough to gauge the true temp of the machine, there would be no need for built in gauges on the machine it's self let alone digital readouts using very fast acting thermocouples. Yes I know the thermalpin is a thermocouple but it still has a lag, more than the thermocouples that are built into the machines or even after market PID units.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:40am

You say that you had the portafilter in place when you did these tests.  Is this correct?

It should not be in place - you should be measuring the water temperature when it leaves the shower screen, before it would come into contact with the coffee if the portafilter was loaded and in place.  The portafilter will be cooler than the water, even if thoroughly preheated, and so your readings will be lower than the true value.
_aki

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:41am

Ah, gotcha. I'll try again without the portafilter but it seems that my values are OK anyway.

Thanks!
_aki
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 3:01pm

Your values are fine.  A few other variables that make the cup method of temperature difficult are height of the cup/how much air does the water free fall through, did you preheat the cup and thermometer with hot water until immediately before the test, does the cup have thermal mass or does it rapidly lose heat (Styrofoam was very good) and did you keep the PF on until immediately before you ran water into the cup.  That can affect group temperature.  Then watch the reading for a couple seconds and see how quickly the water temerature falls and realize that you are trying to get a very quick point in time temperature reading. What did you do to control where you started in the temperature cycle of the brewstat?  The Gaggia boiler holds about 105 ml, so you are quickly exchanging the water, so the temperatures give an idea that the Gaggia boiler is almost a thermoblock.

Back to realize that "your values are fine," and you are contemplating a PID, so smile and be happy :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358489990234)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+