Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 72 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:17pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Tigermilk said:

FYI, the longer it sits between use (when on), the longer it takes to purge the steam from the group head.

This sounds like the water in your heat-exchanger is actually boiling off, and escaping as steam...  

Do you get a drip out of the bottom of the grouphead or drain when the machine is sitting hot and idle but before you have begun flushing the brewhead?  If so,  the brew valve isn't fully sealing. This is the valve above your brewhead which should only be open with the control handle raised.  You can run the pump with valve closed by pressing the button behind the control handle down. This will raise the pressure in your heat exchanger to the relief setting and make the leak much more obvious, if you expect that it is this brew valve that is leaking.  If your pump stalls (Stops making it's normal noise and drops to a quiet hum), release the button. The pump shouldn't stall, if tit does, your relief valve is set higher than the pump can handle.  Check your relief valve before over stressing the hoses and fittings if it is potentially too high.

Or, maybe, is there steam rising through your cup warmer over the boiler? It is possible one of the connections to your heat exchanger is leaking a bit and the heat exchanger is boiling off steam that way.

Are there any other symptoms? I'm really not sure what else to suggest
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:20pm

Hey all!   I've decided to step up the the wonderful world of a HX E61 machine.   I pulled the trigger on a Cuadra ii from 1st Line today.   :-D

Can't begin to tell you how excited I am.  :-)   I'm moving up from a Breville Infuser/Smart Grinder combo.   I returned the grinder to BB&B and picked up a new Vario (for 350.00 shipped :-)) so I'm good to go there.   Was just wondering if you guys have any tips for a new machine.  

I've read through the thread here and did a good bit of research on the Web,  but would like to hear from current owners for any words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance!
doug_s

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: livia 90 & gaggia classic
Grinder: baratza vario & preciso
Drip: bodum french press
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 5:45am

MDiddy Said:

Hey all!   I've decided to step up the the wonderful world of a HX E61 machine.   I pulled the trigger on a Cuadra ii from 1st Line today.   :-D

Can't begin to tell you how excited I am.  :-)   I'm moving up from a Breville Infuser/Smart Grinder combo.   I returned the grinder to BB&B and picked up a new Vario (for 350.00 shipped :-)) so I'm good to go there.   Was just wondering if you guys have any tips for a new machine.  

I've read through the thread here and did a good bit of research on the Web,  but would like to hear from current owners for any words of wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

Posted January 14, 2013 link

o.t., but $350 is a good price for a new vario.  you got it where?  ;~)  mebbe they have similar deals on a virtuoso or preciso?  i wouldn't mind upgrading the isomac granmacinino in my office .  :>)

doug s.
MDiddy

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 2:20pm

doug_s Said:

o.t., but $350 is a good price for a new vario.  you got it where?  ;~)  mebbe they have similar deals on a virtuoso or preciso?  i wouldn't mind upgrading the isomac granmacinino in my office .  :>)

doug s.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

Ebay believe it or not.

There's a seller there,  zoes-stuff.  He had it listed for 360.00 shipped, but two days later when I decided to purchase, he upped it to 410.00.  

I sent him an offer of 360.00 and he took it still, so it might be worth a shot trying it again.

I just looked, and he's now upped the price to 449.00 shipped, so he's gone up quite a bit.  Doesn't hurt to try and make him an offer though.
MDiddy

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:18am

Interesting.   Just got my machine from 1st line and I'm going through the initial setup.   I found their YouTube video on how to adjust the pressurestat to lower the boiler pressure down a bit,  and noticed the boiler the video is fully insulated.   My Cudra ii is not.   I have the insulation sheet on the back of boiler in front of the reservoir,  but it's not wrapped like in the video.

Is this anything to be concerned about?
doug_s

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:39pm

MDiddy Said:

Interesting.   Just got my machine from 1st line and I'm going through the initial setup.   I found their YouTube video on how to adjust the pressurestat to lower the boiler pressure down a bit,  and noticed the boiler the video is fully insulated.   My Cudra ii is not.   I have the insulation sheet on the back of boiler in front of the reservoir,  but it's not wrapped like in the video.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Posted January 16, 2013 link

i would query 1st line about it.  while it does not mention insulated boiler on their website for the quadra ll, it does say that the v2 wersion is insulated in the write-ups for the standard non-v2 quadra units...

doug s.
MDiddy

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 1:47pm

doug_s Said:

i would query 1st line about it.  while it does not mention insulated boiler on their website for the quadra ll, it does say that the v2 wersion is insulated in the write-ups for the standard non-v2 quadra units...

doug s.

Actually, looking at the description on the site again, it looks like the just the sheet insulation is correct:

"Insulation between boiler and inner water tank wall."

Odd, though, the a few people in this thread and the machine in the video for the pstat adjustment, have a fully insulated boiler as opposed to simply the sheet.

I wonder, how hard would it be to insulate the boiler myself?
doug_s

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 2:01pm

oops...
doug_s

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 2:07pm

MDiddy Said:

say that the v2 wersion is insulated in the write-ups for the standard non-v2 quadra units...

doug s.

Actually, looking at the description on the site again, it looks like the just the sheet insulation is correct:

"Insulation between boiler and inner water tank wall."

Odd, though, the a few people in this thread and the machine in the video for the pstat adjustment, have a fully insulated boiler as opposed to simply the sheet.

I wonder, how hard would it be to insulate the boiler myself?

go to the standard a006 quadra, at $995, and read what it says re: differences between it and the v2:

"Insulation on back wall between water reservoir and boiler (CuadraII has insulation wrapped around the boiler)."

doug s.
wsfarrell

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 2:25pm

MDiddy Said:

Ebay believe it or not.

There's a seller there,  zoes-stuff.  He had it listed for 360.00 shipped, but two days later when I decided to purchase, he upped it to 410.00.  

I sent him an offer of 360.00 and he took it still, so it might be worth a shot trying it again.

I just looked, and he's now upped the price to 449.00 shipped, so he's gone up quite a bit.  Doesn't hurt to try and make him an offer though.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

I also just had an offer of $359 accepted. Their pricing is all over the place---I've seen $399 and $449 from one day to the next. Can't hurt to make an offer.
showing page 72 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453500986099)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+