Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Original Izzo Alex, new owner questions.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Original Izzo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano2b,R58,VetranoHX
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Pharos
Drip: NS Elli,GrimacMini
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 5:34pm
Subject: Re: Original Izzo Alex, new owner questions.

Hi guys, I decided to post some photos up of my recent work and observations. Getting an affordable E61 thermometer from another forum made me realize I really need to get this figured out. It's just not as hot as it should be most of the time. Tightening the top 2 nuts seems to have gotten rid of most of the leaking at the base, maybe just occasional drips now. If showing video or more photos of any of what I'm describing would be helpful, I'll gladly do it.

Does it matter that my machine uses a 4 way junction at the anti-backflow valve instead of the 3 way junction shown in the wiki thread?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5pnfF_LBdNo/UOo hPs_4RnI/AAAAAAAAU2g/IC5lKZe_z0w/s640/IMG_3357.JPG
click here

Here's my anti-backflow valve removed
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WwSx0NfMIBY/UOo hQc8Ls9I/AAAAAAAAU2o/IhVCHxcXkDw/s640/IMG_3360.JPG
click here
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DzflicUBheg/UOo hREnz3cI/AAAAAAAAU2w/uyJvY0S5-70/s640/IMG_3361.JPG
click here

I soaked that for a little bit and scrubbed it, and it all went back together with no leaks after. I installed the valve facing the direction shown here Click Here (coffeetime.wdfiles.com) . Does the washer shown there go inside the valve, or does it go around the threads of the valve itself?

But when I lift the end of the intake hose vertical after pulling a shot, significant water flows out of it, and I noticed the water is sometimes warm to hot. Does this mean I need to clean the anti-backflow valve again, or that I need to check any other nearby parts? I think the delay in water reaching the group head may be even longer now.

Should I see the level of water in the return hose (expansion valve) change during or after a shot?

Here are some other shots of me cleaning the E61.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NiK89fGfb44/UOo hS4ES1cI/AAAAAAAAU3A/dZl1CYa9_Kw/s640/IMG_3371.JPG
click here
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pB5QcA76VSE/UOo hTkK7i2I/AAAAAAAAU3I/dUMT9fKJX84/s640/IMG_3374.jpg
click here
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tPzKV7nKIuA/UOo hUt2TraI/AAAAAAAAU3Q/exdL8EPu9bM/s640/IMG_3377.jpg
click here
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EI38V0Eh3Sk/UOo hVW7rfUI/AAAAAAAAU3Y/cnNhM56EIvc/s640/IMG_3380.jpg
click here

How far should the fill sensor probe extend into the boiler?

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:24pm

Bump, can anyone who's knowledgable about eliminating leaks from thermosyphons possibly email me? I'm not confident about what to do next.

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:42pm

For whatever reason even after cleaning your anti backflow valve is still leaking, you could as a last resort try stretching the spring in the valve to make it press tighter on closure, then hopefully it will create enough of a seal for the water pressure to do the rest. If this does not work, then you may well need to bite the bullet and buy a new anti backflow valve. At this stage it's pointless worrying about the group, because if significant water that's warm flows back from the Intake hose after a shot, the valve is leaking badly.

Get that bit sorted first
 View Profile Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:06pm

Took the valve out tonight to inspect for cleanliness and stretch the spring. But it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Any recommendations for where to buy the part? I'm going to check with Clive too, since they sell and service Izzo.

www.oldparkedcars.com
DavecUK

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:41am

Not sure in the US, it's a fairly standard part as pretty much all rotary pumped machines have some type of valve like this. One end of the fitment is flexible, so even a valve that's a slightly different length might well fit. It's a little unusual that through cleaning and soaking in descaler hasn't sorted the problem.

Something else I would be definitely inclined to try is a new O'ring , it's only cold water (warm at worst) so any o'ring will do, silicon edpm etc..Get one that fits well and for a few cents you may well solve the problem....it's also an easy fix if it works. This of course assumes you have a plumbers shop near you where you can take the inner fitting and try it with various o'rings.
benpiff
benpiff

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:21am

Good idea! When I put the valve back together, should it not let air through if I try to blow back through the valve?

www.oldparkedcars.com
benpiff
benpiff

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 2:01pm

Woohoo! $.27 o-ring was all I needed! Can you edit that Wiki thread to mention the worn o-ring as a possible culprit?

When I swapped that into the valve and screwed it together, it was air tight blowing back through it. I had a feeling I was in business. Now I've got it all, quicker warmup, no delay in scalding hot water reaching the group, and way fast rebound. My whole family is fighting the flu right now, which means less coffee and fun chances for me to test. But I'll have to post a video soon to show you guys how dramatically different the before and after is.

Sincere thanks to every supportive post in this thread. I feel so much more confident and knowledgable than I did a week ago.

www.oldparkedcars.com
DavecUK

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:54pm

Just send the Cheque to my UK address.....;-)

Even better why don't you write a short article for the Wiki, explaining what you did (and upload some photos)....very relevant for any other US people wanting a cheap fix for the problem
benpiff
benpiff

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:17pm

Hey all,

Any advice for repairing a brittle and cracked reservoir? I have a Rancilio Audrey that needs this a lot more urgently, but I'd like to fix them both at the same time, eventually I'd like to find NOS replacements.

The next thing I'd really like to do is swap the left-right pivoting wand to a fully articulating setup, which would require a swap of valve or at least a 90 degree elbow coming out of the front of the case. Has anyone done this on an Alex MK1 or ECM Giotto (I always meant to ask when I owned one), if so is the thread something I could find at an average hardware store? I have a spare Astra Gourmet steam wand, which is the same thread as my Brewtus was. I suppose another option could be adding a straight fitting inside the case to bring the original valve out front of the case, which could then allow the new wand to mount straight underneath it.

Edit: I've now removed the valve and am headed to the hardware store!

Thanks!
Ben

www.oldparkedcars.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Original Izzo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394736051559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+