Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 23 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

BubbaDude Said:

A boiler can be too large, actually. The more water you have to heat, the more time and money it costs. Since the brew water is pre-heated by the steam boiler in these machines, the brew boiler doesn't have to be very big or made out of massive slug of brass or copper and therefore in need of a massive heating coil.

Posted February 3, 2013 link

I don't believe the brew water is pre-heated in the R58 or Quickmill QM7, I'm not sure about the Breville, but from internal photos I've seen I don't think that preheats the brew water either. There is certainly a minimum size a brew boiler needs to be for good thermal stability, a large boiler is thermally stable, perhaps not optimum, but boilers below a certain size are best avoided if possible.

Machines that definitely preheat the brew boiler water are the Brewtus DB (Ironic because it doesn't need to with such a large brew boiler and the preheat system is too powerful. The other is the Duetto, where I designed/tested and built the preheat system in my workshop.. There may be others...
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:37am

DavecUK Said:

I don't believe the brew water is pre-heated in the R58 or Quickmill QM7, I'm not sure about the Breville, but from internal photos I've seen I don't think that preheats the brew water either. There is certainly a minimum size a brew boiler needs to be for good thermal stability, a large boiler is thermally stable, perhaps not optimum, but boilers below a certain size are best avoided if possible.

Machines that definitely preheat the brew boiler water are the Brewtus DB (Ironic because it doesn't need to with such a large brew boiler and the preheat system is too powerful. The other is the Duetto, where I designed/tested and built the preheat system in my workshop.. There may be others...

Posted February 5, 2013 link

I know the Breville does, water is pulled and preheated first from steam boiler, so when it hits the brew boiler there's no cool down effect like if it were pulling directly from the tank. Think other DB machines are the same except for Vivaldi.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:10am

Isn't too large or too small subjective? What is actually too large or too small?
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:14am

On the QM 67 & Brewtus IV I believe the brew water is preheated from the steam boiler. I thought i read somewhere the R58 was not and were seperate boiler systems.

WS
CSME9
CSME9

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:19am

Ok so what are the extra costs/feature differences ?  

ILUVDABEAN Said: Does it cost more to build a Ferrari or a Honda Civic?
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:25pm

Ok Guys Well I am abit pissed of and maybe made a wrong choice, So I am playig around with the machine and this noise come up. Now you tell me if this is normal. I am going to bring it back and if they say they have to send it in I will tell them give me a new Izzo3. What you think?

Link to the noise it makes

http://youtu.be/WnNNgBu-cV8
CSME9
CSME9

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:42pm

Italo2275-Not sure what that whirring sound is, maybe the OPV. What is the brew preassure when pulling a shot ? Are you plumbed in, if you are try the tank to see if it goes away.

It's a nice looking shot-maybe the vendor can swap it for another in stock R58.
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 4:48pm

No It is not plummed in,Iam using the tank.
Man so dissapointing.
DavecUK

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:32pm

Italo2275 Said:

Ok Guys Well I am abit pissed of and maybe made a wrong choice, So I am playig around with the machine and this noise come up. Now you tell me if this is normal. I am going to bring it back and if they say they have to send it in I will tell them give me a new Izzo3. What you think?

Pull a shot with a blind filter installed:

1. Whats the brew pressure
  2. see if it still makes the noise. If it does..check the OPV/Expansion valve return whilst pulling a shot against the blind filter. If you see water coming out, the expansion valve is set incorrectly.
  3. There might be air trapped in the OPV line (I did recommend it was at the highest point within the machine, not at the bottom).

There are some other things it might be, but favorite is the expansion valve set incorrectly....report back.

Dave
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 9:20am

Italo2275 Said:

Link to the noise it makes

http://youtu.be/WnNNgBu-cV8

It sounds a bit operatic, perhaps this feature should come with all Italian machines?

it sounds like the OPV, when you filled the machine for the first time did it make this noise? Has it made this noise since you've owned it, or just recently?

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Dallis Bros (NYC): New York Espresso

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 23 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.434602975845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+