Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 12:40pm
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

emradguy Said:

yeah, I think someone actually posted an oops thread because they tried to use it without reading they had to hook up that line.  Though, it's pretty hard to miss that warning sheet when you open the box.

Posted January 14, 2013 link

John heads up was good even with the big warning at the top of the box. Those two 10mm hex nuts are a bit of a pain to get a wrench on and would be super easy to drop one retreading it but all went without a hitch. Machine is heating up now. I am so looking forward to an espresso, once I get some good pours with some old beans I will hopefully be able to pull a shot, it will be my first of the new year.

I will most likely need some Advil tonight from moving the box into the house.

Sipping a cap and I am in heaven. I guess I do like shiny things, all that chrome I have blacked out in my life. Warning stickers do not do anything to keep from burning yourself, it might as well read "touch here, you won't do it again". So quiet, my grinder is the loudest now and the Vario is not that loud.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 2:33pm

I thought Oscar had some steam power, I thought wrong, I almost pissed myself when 4oz of milk almost jumper out of the 10oz pitcher when I submerged the tip. They seem have forgotten to send me the 4 hole tip but I am fine with the two hole for now.at this point I am fine with the boiler at 255f, that may change when I have some practice and some back to backs to do.i take it the silicon tube in the steam wand is what you pull out to not have the no burn? Just grab with pliers and pull?

Brew boiler is at 10.2 bar with a blind, I am used to closer to 11 with the Oscar so I will leave it be for the time being. I will need to pop the shell off again to try and tighten brew pressure gauge since it is loose and tilted sideways ( I can read it just fine since I am a bit tilted anyway) so I can adjust brew pressure then if needed.

What do you do when walking up to the Duetto to pull a shot?
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:02pm

I got mine last Friday, but I screwed up and didn't order the 15 amp converter cord. UPS says I will get it this Friday!
steven_meyer

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:06pm

germantownrob Said:

Those two 10mm hex nuts are a bit of a pain to get a wrench on and would be super easy to drop one retreading it but all went without a hitch.

I dropped  one of the washers. For the life of me I couldn't find it.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:17pm

That's weird they left out the 4-hole tip.  In truth, I just put mine back on this weekend.  I was a bit overwhelmed by the steam power after switching over to the burn me so I had put the 2 hole tip on to give me a little more time to froth.  So, yeah, exactly like you said, you should only have to remove the tip and then grab the tube with pliers and pull.  However, I did have the whole wand off when I did mine, as I was lubing the articulation at the time as well (I'd had it a few months).

I have mine on a timer.  It comes on at 5:30am, every day, and the earliest I ever get to it is about 6:20 - 6:30.  I grab a frothing pitcher and go fill it with milk, then come back to the machine, flip a cup over (from upside down to right side up) on the warming tray, pop off the pre-warmed pf handle and then start prepping my basket.  When my basket is ready, I put the handle with the backflush disc on and run a water only flush to make sure the screen is clean (I'm not the only "barista" in my house, and the other one usually worked with the machine last).  The good part is, this also provides me a warming flush.  So, next I engage the prepared pf handle and pull my shot into the cup (I use a naked handle and so my larger cups fit under it). Close to the end of the shot, I purge the steam wand, so then as soon as the shot's done, it's ready to froth my milk.  Although you can, I don't like to froth at the same time because I like to watch the shot.  I've found there's really no wait for steam pressure (as you've also found out).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:18pm

steven_meyer Said:

ROFL, the very next thought after finding the prober wrench setup was " crap, they have washers", The standard turn upside down and shake is really not going to be that easy. After many concusions and years of working with my hands I have very little feeling left in my finger tips, even when I successively have something in my fingers there is no guarantee that they won't just open up and drop it even though I didn't tell them to do that. I will have to be very careful with those suckers.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:19pm

steven_meyer Said:

oh, that sucks!  Do you have a mechanics "magnet on a stick"?  Sometimes you can fish things out without ever seeing where they actually went...of course, they have to be magnetic susceptible.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 4:11pm

germantownrob Said:

I almost pissed myself when 4oz of milk almost jumper out of the 10oz pitcher when I submerged the tip.

LOL

germantownrob Said:

I am fine with the boiler at 255f, that may change when I have some practice and some back to backs to do.

i run mine at 255 daily but for a party I amp it up.

germantownrob Said:

i take it the silicon tube in the steam wand is what you pull out to not have the no burn? Just grab with pliers and pull?

That is it, I took the tip off, grabbed the tube with the leatherman and gave it jerk.

germantownrob Said:

Brew boiler is at 10.2 bar with a blind, I am used to closer to 11 with the Oscar so I will leave it be for the time being.

I would like to see some other post about what they are seeing. Mine is a touch over 9 normally, and touch less than 9.5 with the blind in.

germantownrob Said:

What do you do when walking up to the Duetto to pull a shot?

10-4 on the timer. Grind, tamp, pull but when i am done I clear the PF then stick it back in the machine, flush a 2-3 seconds of water then clear the PF wipe it and the inside of the group down with a towel and stick the PF back in there. *** First shot in the morning or if it sits for 3 hours (not likely) I will flush a little water through the group and use it to warm up my cup.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
steven_meyer

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 4:42pm

I consider my self fortunate I only dropped a washer. i was afraid I was going to drop the wrench!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 5:23pm

Rob must be off drinking all the coffee and eating all the doughnuts :0)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 3 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.509459018707)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+