Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:04am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines

Buckley: you can get any tamper size you want down to 0.1mm resolution from Reg Barber.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 11:55am

I found a case that fit the Twist, the Kyocera CM-45 CF hand-grinder (purchased before the Porlex, Pharos, or Lido were available) a 53 mm Rattleware tamper, and spare cartridges from Harbor Freight.  I mostly use my Twist at work, but have also taken it camping and even to my folks house over the holidays to get my espresso fix.

I recently changed the O-rings and lubed them with Dow-111 to solve a gas leak that had developed over the holidays, but it works great.  The Kyocera is a bit hard to dial in, a better grinder would improve the consistency of the espresso.

yakster: twist_clamshell.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pravspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia: Watlow PID
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:05pm

I want that case.!!!!!!!!!!!!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:46pm

I believe the case is this one:
Click Here (www.harborfreight.com)
I use one as well (see below).
Two caveats- First, the case I received had a very strong, bad odor from the foam-ish lining on the inner walls. It was finally gone after a month or so. I did not notice it at first and it temporarily permeated my harps. I was not happy about that. I had to line the box with a plastic bag when i was gigging to isolate the stink from the harps
Second, if you are at a gig, be careful where you put the case so that when the drunken, bleach-blond bimbo falls over she doesn't bend it with her empty head like what happened to mine. My wife said I should have kicked her in the head.

frcn: harpcaseSmall.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
yakster
yakster

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:49pm

It's a Harbor Freight # 69316 which includes rubber padding but not the foam inserts.  I posted more information about this on my WordPress blog a while ago:

MyPressi Twist Case yakstr

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
yakster
yakster

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:05pm

I didn't notice a particularly strong odor in my cases, but I ended up buying a second one when I found it fit 8 ounce "jelly jar" canning jars of coffee perfectly.  I can fit in 8 jars and some small bags of tea and that case has a strong smell... of coffee.  This allows me to bring some coffee and my Twist to work, or bring it along for travel.

In order to fit four jars across, the jars at the end need to be placed upside-down to allow the lid to properly close.  The foam padding on top touches the jars keeping them from rattling around.

yakster: Coffee Case.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Buckley

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 6:24am

Dear Emrad,

I actually want the 53.5 mm tamper made by Metallurgica Motta with the Mypressi logo on it.  Unfortunately, they are only found on UK sites.  After going through the ordering process and using the checkout, one finds that they have a long list of countries in their shipping drop down box and only the entry for 'United States' is amended 'WE DO NOT SHIP'.  Oh, well.  It must be our government's fault...somehow.   None on ebay, either.

IMHO, Reg Barber is overpriced name recognition, all of the advantages mentioned taken into account...

I realize all of us are gradually drifting off topic ... Javerich, are you still with us?  It would be nice to know if any of our responses were a) helpful, b) not helpful, or c) none of the above. ;)

B
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 6:28am

gotcha...yeah we're getting off topic.  not that I disagree with the pricing being a little extravagant, but have you seen the pricing on the Prima?  WOW!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:04am

Still off topic...Prima? Those are "art tampers" sort of ligneous versions of a lapis lazuli handle, for example.  One of my friends once crafted lapis lazuli knobs for the sink faucets in the bathroom in the private jet of the old Shah of Iran.  Are we approaching the same wretched excess at Prima?  Looks like they are tooled up for the corporate logo trade.

Javerich, are you there? <- Lame attempt to stay on topic.

B
kelevtov

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: Baratza Precisio
Drip: BonaVita
Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 8:48am

Change of topic on the Mypressi -

I've had mine for about 9 months, and it has already quit working.  I don't think I have pulled more than 36 or 48 shots through it, in its entire lifetime.  About a third of them were good, the rest, well, let's just say you would not have accepted it at a cafe.  

So now it's not working, and I am considering the upgrade service, which promises to replace any broken parts for $50 with a short guarantee (can't recall if it were 30 days or 3 months).  

Am I crazy for considering it?  Should I just toss this poorly functioning machine down the recycle shoot, consider it money poorly spent, and not throw good $$ after bad?

Or is this a kool design, innovative and unique, which may have had some early-model quirks that are worth preserving?
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384736061096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+