Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
javerich

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011, 9:04am
Subject: MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?

Hi Team,

Please don't take it as a stupid question.  Clearly the MyPressi IS inferior, but this relative newbie would like the nuts and bolts answer of WHY.  I've spent the past few months experimenting and pulling shots with Mypressi (using a Rocky grinder) and I've finally accepted that at its best it will never be comparable to what I get when I walk into Stumptown.

I'm saving money to get a Silvia, but in the meantime, why exactly is it not as good?  Hot water is being expressed through a showerhead into a correctly tamped puck - when this happens on better machines, what's the difference?

Thanks so much for satisfying this passionate newbie's curiosity.

Rich
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011, 9:21am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - MyPressi compares favorably to LM

It is the Rocky that is inferior - not the Mypressi.
If you had a better grinder (and maybe better beans?) then you'd get better results.  

Dan Kehn made a video showing the Mypressi comparing favorably to a LaMarzocco FB80.  CLICK
(Search for the comments on HB - blind tasters enjoyed both shots and couldn't pick a favorite)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMadTamper

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES; Izzo Duetto...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, K8 Fresh,...
Drip: /Pod: Bunn MCP
Roaster: /Other: Blender - BlendTec...
Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011, 9:33am

JonR10 Said:

It is the Rocky that is inferior - not the Mypressi.
If you had a better grinder (and maybe better beans?) then you'd get better results.  

Posted August 30, 2011 link

+1 - Rocky isn't the worst grinder in the world....but there's MUCH better out there.  I'd argue that the MyPressi is actually quite superior to a Silvia, it's simply less convenient and more expensive per-shot to operate. The MyPressi, assuming you can heat your water to the right temperature, has as stable a temperature as you provide, and very even, reliable pressure via the N2O cartridges.  Silvia has temp stability all over the place, and, in the case of old models (like mine was) without the adjustable OPV, can build more pressure than desired.  

Where Silvia wins is it doesn't cost $0.70 in electric every time you pull a shot like the consumer price on N20, states don't ban or limit the sale of silvia shots like many do with N2O, and it heats its own water without you holding a thermometer in a tea kettle or microwave.  If you don't pull shots often though, the MyPressi is far cheaper overall though.
pravspresso

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia: Watlow PID
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 2:52pm

I have 2 of them.
Use at work everyday.
Use Mazzer Super Jolly grinder...
It's just incredible...My shot isn't as good as Home with the quickmill alexia but it's better then
any coffeehouse within walking distance of work.

Buddy ground some beans with his Rocky..and the shot came out sputtering..pretty bad...

I think the grinder plays a huge role with the Pressi results.

Cheers

8/10 for quality of shot.

p.s. Owner is great guy at Pressi..... He's sending my buddy replacements at no cost for two Pressi's that were ordered during the christmas rush "and lost".

p.p.s. If I had to do it over, I'd buy this first as a newbie..and use with a bodum milk frother for lattes. Save up for years and then blow a few grand on a decent machine.

Cheers
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:20pm

I love my Twist.  It makes good espresso at home with a proper grinder and when I travel with a hand grinder.  If you're getting "inferior" results, the problem isn't with the Twist (unless your's is broken in some way).

I pulled an indescribably good shot on my third try with the Twist (God shot? Maybe. I don't like the term but I don't have any other way describing something so wonderful and memorable).  It was luck and a good grinder, and not to be repeated, but there isn't a limit to the Twists is potentially capable of on at least a one off basis.

+1 for the Twist!
pravspresso

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 5:22am

russel Said:

I love my Twist.  It makes good espresso at home with a proper grinder and when I travel with a hand grinder.  If you're getting "inferior" results, the problem isn't with the Twist (unless your's is broken in some way).

I pulled an indescribably good shot on my third try with the Twist (God shot? Maybe. I don't like the term but I don't have any other way describing something so wonderful and memorable).  It was luck and a good grinder, and not to be repeated, but there isn't a limit to the Twists is potentially capable of on at least a one off basis.

+1 for the Twist!

Posted January 8, 2013 link

Devil's advocate here:

"It makes good espresso at home with a proper grinder and when I travel with a hand grinder.  If you're getting "inferior" results, the problem isn't with the Twist (unless your's is broken in some way)."

A problem could exist with your "O rings",faulty cartridges, etc. etc. and as all espresso enthusiasts know..... grinders are everything. They change the results of a shot.

There is a huge difference between pulling a shot using ground beans from a Mazzer vs Solis.

That said, fresh roasted high quality beans will make or break your Pressi results.

ps. I get about 4 shots or pulls per cartridge.  Based on what I paid for the cartridges, it costs me .20 cents per shot (2 drinks day x 365 days / $146.00 year)

That's pretty good considering the machine is below $200.00 and gives such high quality shots.
Buckley

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 5:57am

Dear Mad Tamper and pravspresso,

NB: One can buy N2O cartridges online for a total cost of $0.41 per cartridge (incl. shipping) without looking too hard.  This translates to 8 cents per shot (I invariably get 5 shots per cartridge and, by reports online, most other users do, too).

B
Buckley

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:22am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - Why inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?

Dear Javerich,

All of the feedback regarding grinders is accurate but perhaps your question could be answered a little more specifically:

You are comparing your Mypressi to Stumptown.  I have never been to Stumptown but they must operate along similar lines to some of the premier coffeehouses which I have visited.  As I understand it, they dial in their high-end machines with regard to temperature, perhaps pressure profiling, and shot duration all on a daily basis, making those changes that are required by changes in weather.  Perhaps the grind is 'tweaked' up or down on a daily basis, as well.  You cannot begin to compete with this level of technological expertise with your Mypressi.  If you compare Mypressi to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, Mypressi is certainly to come out a winner.
You imply that Mypressi is inferior to a Sylvia, but you also imply that you do not own a Silvia.  To what amateur-operated machine are you comparing the Mypressi, if not to Stumptown only?
In an effort to be helpful rather than solely critical, may I suggest that the best-known problem with the Mypressi is its tendency to channel.  If you are a newby, take some time to read up on channeling.  The Mypressi is especially prone to edge channeling, specifically if the roast is old.  Mypressi makes it easy to use it as a 'naked portafilter' by leaving off the spout attachment.  It is easy to watch the stream and compare it to pictures published on Home Barista and other web sites.  The easiest fixes for your shot quality is to 1) buy some verifiable freshly-roasted beans and grind them soon after purchase and infuse them within 1 or 2 minutes of grinding.  This tends to eliminate edge channeling.  Use the Weiss Declumping Technique (WDT) prior to tamping (google it).  A more involved fix is to purchase a good quality 53 mm tamper.  Better yet, a 53.5 mm tamper.  If you find one of the latter, tell me.  Also, time your infusions with a timer.  If your time for infusion suddenly shortens by 2 or 3 seconds without a change in grind size, chances are are inapparent channeling (or unnoticed channeling) has taken place during that infusion.
It sounds as if you are on a learning curve (like me) and that your tool of the moment happens to be a Mypressi.  Don't blame your tools.

Hope this helps and doesn't rankle too much,

B
pravspresso

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:46am

Buckley Said:

Dear Mad Tamper and pravspresso,

NB: One can buy N2O cartridges online for a total cost of $0.41 per cartridge (incl. shipping) without looking too hard.  This translates to 8 cents per shot (I invariably get 5 shots per cartridge and, by reports online, most other users do, too).

B

Posted January 9, 2013 link

Everyone can buy cartridges online cheap.

I did a combo buy with a buddy and bought Whip It versions in bulk.

I typed in N20 cartridges in Google: this took me 2 min. to find.

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

300/$93.00 = .31 CENTS per cartridge "cheaper ones listed."

4 shots which is sorta what I get divided by / .31 cents per cartridge = AWESOME
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:47am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines

just to whip the dead horse a bit more, your grinder is the weak spot in your setup. If I were you, first upgrade the grinder then save your money and if you STILL want a "real" espresso machine, skip the SBDU class all together and move to a machine like the CC1 as a minimum. It has PID temp control for brewing and a thermoblock for steaming so you are not playing the up and down temp game. For the same price you can pick up a used HX machine and likely as not, it would be the end of your quest for a "better" machine for a very long time.

As a side note, please do not use every possible space in your topic heading, when someone replies to you, the board software adds RE: to the header then it is too long and we, those of us replying to you, are forced to edit your header as it is then too long.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.394086122513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+