Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines (like Silvia)?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 9:37am
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question - Why is it inferior to better machines

Worth repeating.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 7:43am

Dear Kelevtov,

I found that packing pressure has very little to do with infusion time.  ..... and to release the trigger the second gas starts coming through.  This tells you if you need to grind coarser or finer.

Buckley - thanks for the reply to my stub problem.  I'm now asking about how to pull a better shot - what tamper do you use?  Do you dose w/a scale?  I read the WDT technique, and want to try this, I am not using a scale, but also not filling the basket to the top as suggested.  I also hold the trigger all the way through the pull, releasing at the end, when I hear a loud "hiss".  I am correct that you release the trigger immediately, or what exactly do you mean by "second gas starts coming through"?  Do you time your shots, or does your scale have a timer?
Thank you, clm
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 9:50am

I'm pretty new to the MyPressi, but...

While I was waiting for my lightly used twist to arrive, I ordered a second basket, spare showerscreen and spare o-ring set from MyPressi.  I sent my new basket in to Reg Barber and ordered a custom engraved short anodized aluminum handle with a c-flat stainless steel base.  RB emailed me and said they measured it out to 53.5mm.  It arrived yesterday, and I'm separated from my twist today due to work location assigment, so I won't get to use it until Tuesday, but I'm excited...and have every bit of confidence that the new tamper will fit great.  Buckley recommended to me that the twist extraction behaves best between 11g and 16g doses, and that he got channelling when trying 19g doses...just found that in an older email he sent me.

Regarding the gas coming through...remember the gas is used to drive hot water through the puck.  Once that water is gone, there's no reason to maintain a flow of gas.  Anything more and you're just wasting your cartridges and potentially ruining your shot.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 5:46pm

Dear CLM,
To answer your questions:
The best tamper I am using is the plastic one that comes with it.  I bought two 53mm tampers and they do not do as good of a job as the supplied one.  I believe emradguy made the right move in getting RB to make a 53.5 mm tamper for him.
I weigh the contents of two standard baskets just because I am obsessive about getting an equal amount in each.  I routinely make a two-double-shot Americano for myself most mornings.  Weighing is clearly not necessary.  Even if you want two equal baskets, with a little experience visual inspection will tell you if you have close to your 'usual' amount in a basket.  For uniformity of assessment, one can sharply rap the basket on the counter a couple of times to settle the contents - before tamping.  What you say you are doing sounds just right.
I release the trigger to moment I hear the hiss of the gas and see the end of the infusion stream, just as emradguy says.
Timing my shots with a separate timer is something that is important to me.  This lets me know if I need to adjust my grinder up or down to keep my infusions close to 25 seconds (or 30-35 seconds in the case of some roasts).  I also use my sense of taste (!) to let me know if the grind is correct.  That is what it is all about, isn't it?  Please be aware that, if you have channeling going on, the time of the infusion will become significantly quicker.  This is why it is important to leave off the spout attachment of the Mypressi and inspect the stream.  If you see tiny spurts along side the main stream, or if you are infusing into a light-colored mug and the sides of the mug become speckled with coffee spray, then there is channeling going on and the time of the infusion will be quicker than the grind would ordinarily permit.

B
kelevtov

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: Baratza Precisio
Drip: BonaVita
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:14pm
Subject: Re: MYPRESSI serious question -

Every once in a while I have a hankering for a good shot at home, and see the MyPressi sitting in the back of a shelf, not used for a very long time.  So the other day i went to the web site intending to get it upgraded (see posts from January) but it is hard to tell if MyPressi is even still in business.  The web site is up, but it says it is sold out of the machines and upgrades are going to take a long time because they are short on parts.  

Anyone have any news on the life of MyPressi?  

I saw a posting from a retailer on this site stating they are not shipping any more.  But the web site seems to indicate a temporary hiatus.

I sent an email to support at mypressi.  Let's see what they have to say about it, if anything. No way will I spend the $50 I had been hesitating on until I know there is a there there.

In the meantime I suspect it's time to scout new machines.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 2:12am

Let's not side track this thread...

Back on topic, I'd say that the MyPressi is not the problem. It's the user.

As evidenced here, there are many, many users who are making very good shots with their device.  They have the right grind, the right tamp pressure, the right water temp, the right pressure (fresh canister), the right beans, etc.

All up to you. Don't blame the machine.   I made a godshot with this device the other day. it was great.  you can find a video of it on youtube. (search for 'mypressi godshot').

BTW, a comment on the tamper.  I would have to agree with a previous poster that the best tamper for the MyPressi is the one it comes with.  Having used this device for so long, I have realized that the MyPressi is much more susceptible to variations in the tamp than a machine.    By using a heavy steel tamper, you lose the tactile feedback and sensitivity of pressure application.   An analogy would be trying to weigh a quarter in our hand while holding a 5lb weight, versus nothing at all.     The heavier the tamper, the less feedback you'll get from the coffee grinds as you compact them.  The stock one weighs next to nothing so just by feel you know exactly how dense the puck is.
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 10:00am

Dear Kelevtov,

It is good to hear from you again.
While they were going strong, the folks at Mypressi proved their committment to their product and their customers with exemplary customer service.
At last communiqe, Mypressi was wrestling with the decision to either redesign a portion of their device or to discontinue operations.
From my previous experience with the product and the customer service people, I have formed the opinion that they want to offer a device that they can stand behind for reliability and perfomance.  Still in my opinion, this commitment to 'excellence or not at all' is sorely lacking among too many other coffee equipment manufacturers.
Unfortunately, this leaves the current users in a limbo.  
Your historical posts imply that your Myprssi is still in need of an upgrade.  When I wrote Stephen about your problem he wrote back to me and said that your Mypressi was still under warranty and I thought that you had received a copy of that reply.  At this late date it might be wishful thinking to cash in on a warranty.
Just recently, I have asked for and received an incidental replacement for my unit: the plastic showerhead ring.  Perhaps if you need an update of a more dynamic part of the machine, such as the pressure regulator or such, this might be what they are talking about when they mention about revamping the unit and I wonder if it is what is being redesigned and if older versions of it are still available.
I apologize for all of the hand-waving; I do not know.  I have also 'missed the boat' on occasions of warranty and uprade offers.  Hopefully, you will be able to obtain a workable unit from Mypressi.  If not, my advice would be to 'start from scratch' and buy a (working) used one for cheap, or invest in another hand-operated machine by scouring used markets.  The two models that use either air pressure or a screw device seem vastly overpriced to me.  On the other hand, I bought a All-Clad two-handed lever device at a garage sale that produced a 'god-shot' but was too messy and not all that reliable over time.

with kindness,

buckley
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MYPRESSI serious...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336086034775)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+