Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
£1500 Rocket Espresso vs my £150 Delonghi - why is the rocket loosing?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > £1500 Rocket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
bobpies

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: Re: £1500 Rocket Espresso vs my £150 Delonghi - why is the rocket loosing?

calblacksmith Said:

Uh, no.
The question is kind of like asking if you can put training wheels on a Harley Davidson.

Posted January 9, 2013 link

any reason why this can't be done? or are you simply saying it shouldn't be done, which is different.

my gf doesn't like coffee from the giotto, but she likes it from the delonghi. makes sense to me that if i could produce a similar tasting shot without having 2 coffee machines on the table to do that.

ps, just tried the delonghi and giotto with fresh beans and can confirm the rocket spanked the delonghi delivering a much more rich and intense flavour, whereas the delonghi seemed bland in comparison - which is probably why my gf likes it.
 View Profile Link to this post
wsfarrell

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:27am
Subject: Re: £1500 Rocket Espresso vs my £150 Delonghi - why is the rocket loosing?

Cammie Said:

Do you bleed off any possible false pressure before pulling the shot?  Do you stabilize the Rocket by pulling a blank shot before you pull a real shot?

Posted January 8, 2013 link

(a) How do you bleed off false pressure? I didn't know this was an issue with E61 machines.

(b) How do you pull a blank shot? 27 seconds with a blind portafilter? Empty portafilter? No portafilter? Less than 27 seconds?

Thanks!
bobpies

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:15am

wsfarrell Said:

(a) How do you bleed off false pressure? I didn't know this was an issue with E61 machines.

(b) How do you pull a blank shot? 27 seconds with a blind portafilter? Empty portafilter? No portafilter? Less than 27 seconds?

Thanks!

i only do flush and go, hadn't heard of either of these techniques before
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:30am

I am not aware of any PPF that fits that group head, PPFs are nearly always only found on lower/starter machines that are best suited as wedding presents and are not to be used. This is because the person who recieves it will try to use caned coffee, very often at a drip grind and get upset if it does not work.

Have you perfected your method yet? Do you fully understand the cooling flush and what it does? Do you know why you need a good grinder for machines without PPF?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bobpies

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 6:46pm

calblacksmith Said:

I am not aware of any PPF that fits that group head, PPFs are nearly always only found on lower/starter machines that are best suited as wedding presents and are not to be used. This is because the person who recieves it will try to use caned coffee, very often at a drip grind and get upset if it does not work.

Have you perfected your method yet? Do you fully understand the cooling flush and what it does? Do you know why you need a good grinder for machines without PPF?

yes, ive never really had an issue with fresh beans i guess. - its always just made we wonder why shop coffee tasted better from PPF, guess its just the lack of crema throwing me.

can't say i know the science of why i need a good grinder.

i have a Eureka Mignion.

wish i was in the position to try out a Vario or a Mazzer Mini in a taste test but i dont know anyone with one.

anyone here had the opportunity to try them out?
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 7:12pm

I think you have to buy a good grinder,use fresh beans and learn how to use the Rocket. Its really that simple.

bobpies Said:

yes, ive never really had an issue with fresh beans i guess. - its always just made we wonder why shop coffee tasted better from PPF, guess its just the lack of crema throwing me.

can't say i know the science of why i need a good grinder.

i have a Eureka Mignion.

wish i was in the position to try out a Vario or a Mazzer Mini in a taste test but i dont know anyone with one.

anyone here had the opportunity to try them out?

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
bobpies

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:28am

Really ?
That would contradict everything I've ever read . Always read that the grinder was the most important piece of kit ...?

Edit: my bad thought you said that you didn't think the grinder was important . I'm curious about the difference in taste from a mignion to a mazzer or vario
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:00am

Iluvdabean Said:

I think you have to buy a good grinder,use fresh beans and learn how to use the Rocket. Its really that simple.

bobpies Said:

... I have a Eureka Mignion ...

There's no reason to worry about the grinder. The Eureka is highly capable of consistently grinding fine enough and even stepless.

I don't think there's much doubt that espresso made with the Giotto tastes differently. Have you thought about the possibilty that you're simply too much accustomed to the taste of caffè made with your old Delonghi to appreciate the taste of (better) espresso? After all, taste is a very personal thing and acquired, too.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 9:37am

Just wanted to chime in about bean freshness....

By the time you commit to buying a machine of the quality of a Rocket (or any higher end machine) you have to also commit to buying fresh beans, and having a decent grinder.

Your grinder seems to be capable, so I'd really focus on your beans.

What you are doing is essentially like putting old, low octane fuel in a Ferrari and wondering why then engine is knocking and not producing power while your Honda Civic is running like  a champ on the same gas. If you don't put good quality beans in your Rocket, your espresso quality will suffer despite having a quality machine.

You are at a level where you should either be finding a source for freshly roasted beans locally, setting up a regular shipment from a reputable roaster, or just roasting your own at home.

My preference is to roast my own- I've found it is extremely simple and ensures I have fresh beans whenever I need them. The only problem with roasting your own is finding a quality source for green beans- although this isn't really a problem either because green beans will store for an incredibly long time without losing quality unlike roasted beans.

So PLEASE, grab yourself some fresh, high quality beans and fire that Rocket up the way it was meant to be used. In the end it's all about taste in the cup, if you prefer your Delonghi after giving the Rocket a fair shot, then stick with the Delonghi and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm sure you'd have no problem reselling the Rocket for a decent price.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > £1500 Rocket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.488732814789)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+