Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How to measure shot yield - then work on taste
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to measure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 5:45pm
Subject: Re: How to measure shot yield - then work on taste

I don't know if Ill ever get there.... made a shot tonight with same timing but it yielded 35 grams instead of 30. It was ok but nothing special.

I am beginning to think I don't like "good coffee". The best coffee I ever had came off of my old cheapo espresso I had years ago. I remember sitting at work anticipating my arrival at home to have an espresso drink back then. I have not had that experience with the last two espresso machines I have had.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 6:59pm

I would give it at least a few weeks of getting consistent results.  Right now you have not had one day of consistent results.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 7:00pm

Also the beans change over time.  Maybe you don't like the beans you have right now.  Even if they are the same brand you liked before....

Coffeenoobie

DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:40am

This morning was 40 grams with same draw time. There was a bit of blonding toward the end (very little) but it was actually better than the one I had last night. I was expecting it to not be so good.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:08pm

It will get better as you get more consistent.  I promise.

Coffeenoobie

diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 1:59pm

I'm not really sure what you are doing with the scale and shot weight. It is useless to measure, unless you are using that data in some way to change what you do with the next shot. Take what you have so far. At first you were making extraction strengths >50% (Ie: 18g to make 30g) and as you changed the strength closer to 50%, you improved the shot.  So I'd aim for around 50% strength for starters, then adjust as necessary. So if you want a 30g shot, use 15g of beans, or if you want to use 18g of beans, make a 36g shot.
 If you are finding the shots are bitter/overextracted (also evidenced by dark crema rim), then either increase your dose (18 is plenty big for starters), or shorten the pull. Since you are in the ristretto range anyway, I'd coarsen the grind a bit, and stop the shot sooner (when you reach the 50% strength) rather than going for long extractions that force you to grind finer and worsen your problem.  This advice is just to get you started. Is not set in stone and can change as you get more comfortable with things....but that is how you could start to get things heading in the right direction.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 2:56pm

Nailing down all the variable to things I could measure made it easier to see what the little adjustments did.

Weighing the shots made it so I could compare the output and make it consistent.  Volume doesn't do that with espresso because of the crema.  i.e. Same grind + .5 g added grounds = x number of seconds to the pull before my shot blonds etc.  By doing that my pulls improved greatly and fast and I really understand how to adjust my shots to do what needs to be done to get the output I want. Before I got the scale I was really all over the place and I could not nail down what I was doing wrong.

Start with a grind and weight and stop the pull at 27 seconds then adjust things slowly till you get a good tasting shot pulled in 25-27 range at about 50%.  

Right now with blue Jag from red bird I am getting very close to 50% ratio with 19 g at 25 - 27 seconds.

Coffeenoobie

DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 8:40pm

I know you guys/gals are trying to help me, but I am not sure how much you can help when I can't diagnose what the issue is. I will say I am much better off than I was a few weeks ago, but I can't tell sour  from bitter. I can't really describe what I think is a perfect taste, but I know it when I taste it and out of the hundreds of shots i have done the last few months, I have had two that I thought were great.  Some were terribly bitter (or maybe it was sour) and most were just ok.

I coarsened the grind and got 32 grams in 26 seconds. It was different, not as much bitter (as I would describe it), but also not the after taste I like.... maybe even a little bland. The shots I really like have what I call a "nutty" after taste that lasts a while. I don't know if my description matches with convention or not, but that is what I call it.

I have been running my boiler temp a little hotter the last week or so after I made some temperature tests. It is my feeling that the water cools off a bit before it actually hits the puck, so I turned the temperature up from 200 to 203. Not sure I can tell the difference and not sure what hotter temperature would actually do to the taste.

To add even more confusion, I went to the coffee shop that is considered the best in my area and ordered my favorite latte a few weeks ago. This was an attempt to test my pallet and see if I still knew what good coffee tasted like. I poured it in my flower bed when I got home... so maybe I don't have the same pallet as everyone else. The professionally prepared latte tasted like flavored steamed milk to me.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:46pm

Consistently hit the targets outlined for a few days in a row and I believe things will change for you.  I am not sure I can tell sour from bitter in espresso either.  And many good shops around can't pull a great shot all the time and some never do.

I can tell you if you learn to hit the target every time, consistently you be able to tweak it till you get something you like almost every time.  I have very few sink shots now. I can't tell you how many I tossed when I first started.

Are you really using Jura Capresso ENA 4?  That is an automatic machine and you really can't expect too much from it because it limits you a lot.

Coffeenoobie

DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:30am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Are you really using Jura Capresso ENA 4?  That is an automatic machine and you really can't expect too much from it because it limits you a lot.

Posted January 13, 2013 link

No, I gave the Jura to my son (he likes it).

I am using a CC1 and Vario W.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How to measure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423548936844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+