Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Age Old Question, If It Were...
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Age Old...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 9:29am
Subject: Re: The Age Old Question, If It Were...

Thank you (everyone)!

Will the Baratza Vario work well with the Le'Lit? I hope I don't have to look into a different grinder... eep!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 9:37am

The vario is a good grinder and is often compared "taste in cup" with much larger/expensive grinders.  I have the W model.  I like my used Oscar for under 500 dollars.  He is a work horse and I will not out grown him any time soon.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 6:12pm

strawberrykoi Said:

Thank you! If the lelit is a better choice, I might be able to make that happen. It's coming up as only about $200 more than I mentioned. I would be happy to search secondhand, but mainly I need a particular machine to search for as a goal in mind :)

Posted January 3, 2013 link

If you are willing to stretch the budget for a better machine,  why not consider the Crossland CC1 at $699.
 View Profile Link to this post
howietawny
howietawny

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: Patrick @ New Frontier
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 7:38pm

my 2¢
•buy used
you can find a great machine for a great discount- especially if you have a good mechanic in your city town
these machines break down, and will need maintenance, even when used sparingly

Any step up is going to be a terrific change for you!

we like good coffee
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 7:41pm

fredk01, I could DEFINITELY do that. My budget is $600 because that's what I have - but I can save up longer, if that means a wiser investment. I will look at the machine you suggested... I'll take all of the guidance I can get! :)

howietawny, I will keep my eye out for used machines... I just needed an idea of what to look for. Sadly, I live in a small town so Craigslist has little to offer... but ebay is always an option!
jwark
jwark

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041TQE
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 7:48pm

Sometimes people will ship it.

There is someone in my town selling a livia 90 for $600.00. Almost sounds too good to be true.  They say they've never even used it.

http://austin.craigslist.org/app/3519166470.html

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”  - Jack Handy
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:08pm

Gaggia Classic  ( 14101 in english :)  )  $375 shipped

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/classic.cfm

Baratza Preciso refurb $239 and about $12 shipping

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:35pm

D4F - Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the Gaggia over the Le'lit as some of the others recommended? Price? :)
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:38am

Why recommend the Classic.  Probably because I am biased, I use one  :).  Interesting that you asked specifically about the Classic and not the other Gaggia SBDU machines.  The Classic is the only one that I see routinely recommended.  You may have already known that from your list.

I am not sure that the 14101 was recognized as the Classic by all.  The Classic is usually recommended as a starting point especially if price is a concern.  I am still happy with mine, though I added the Rancilio wand and PID.  If you like DIY the PID can be done for about $75 - $100 for brew and steam after you learn and enjoy the machine.  PID kit for brew and steam about $200 and you still have to install, but that is easy.

Classic has a proven record and many on CG have used for years.  The small boiler is noted as a disadvantage or advantage depending on your view point.  Small volume, but heats rapidly.  I use a PID alarm function to add heat during the brew to keep the intrashot temperature from falling and have the machine ready more quickly for the next brew.  That may be more complex than you want now, but it turns the small boiler "disadvantage" into an advantage.

Forget and leave it on and you can cook an internal element if the boiler goes dry.  Gaggia has external elements.

There are many threads about which machine to buy starting out, you can search many fairly current thread that are similar.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 4:42pm

Just an interlude into what not to get; I've used an Ec155 and a Silvia V3 for quite some time, and I'd steer you away from both. The Ec155 is only good if you're budget is ~$100, otherwise it's really not a good machine.

The Silvia has a tested reputation and makes great shots, but for the price (new or used) you can probably do better.

Otherwise, +1 to what everyone else has said, and good luck!

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Age Old...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.425257921219)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+