Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I got my Gaggia Classic! (And some problems with it.)
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I got my Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ceridan
Ceridan
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Slim
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:32am
Subject: I got my Gaggia Classic! (And some problems with it.)

Hi!

So I finally got my Gaggia Classic and started using it. And immediately run into some minor troubles...

I prepared ~8 grams of coffee, ground it with Hario Slim, 4th click from the start. Packed it mildly with tamper into the one-shot basket... actually I'm quite confused, because:

1) Baskets are double bottom (pressurized) type. When I pack the single-shot one with coffee, it barely fills one third of it. Is it normal?

I poured water without portafilter as recommended in the manual.

There is a small plastic contraption in the portafilter and I got that clever idea  to remove it, because what the hell, I don't know what it does. And guess what? When I started to make coffee it sput out wildly from the right nozzle. We had a good laugh with a colleague.

2) What is this plastic thing good for? Should I uses it even with professional single bottom baskets?

With this thing back in water no longer spat out that much, never the less some of it did.

3) Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:38am
Subject: Re: I got my Gaggia Classic! (And some problems with it.)

how long did your shot run?  I'm guessing it was a gusher and that you simply just need to grind finer.  I've never used, read any detail about or even seen in person pressurized baskets, so I can't comment on them or advise you in that department.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:48am

Well, the shot was run for about 20 seconds in total. It was interrupted (so I could insert the plastic creama-enahcer).

I'v ordered non-pressurized baskets, but I don't know when they will arrive.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:41am

so wait...you started the shot, stopped it and inserted the plastic component, and then started it again?  um, maybe you can do it over and time it start to finish without any interruption...

...walks away shaking his head...

Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:04am

Yeah, it was my first try. The second one went better (because I left the plastic piece in place?). I did a double shot, circa 30 seconds, coarse grind.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:14am

Hope I didn't sound like I was making fun of you...trying to think back to how I was when I made my first shot, I know I was struggling too.

So, back on topic...that sounds a lot better.  How did it taste?  always remember that the number one thing you must always consider, is what ends up going into your mouth.  At the 30 seconds was the shot finished or did you just stop it then because you read somewhere that it is a goal to have them end at that time?  Once you get the non-pressurized gear, you'll really be able to enjoy your espresso making experience and learning.  I highly recommend reading Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home, article 12 under "how to" about midway down the right hand column on www.espressomyespresso.com

Also, most of us use the "single" pf handle and basket for cleaning purposes.  In part, it's because the grind fineness is slightly different for singles and doubles, and we don't want to have to recalibrate the grinder for every single shot. Besides that, most of us really like espresso, so we want large doses.

Shawn12
Shawn12
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:29am

Hi... so my Classic came with a single and double pressurized basket and a regular double. I have since purchased a regular single basket and a bottomless portafilter with a regular triple basket. I really only use the double and triple though.

I only used the pressurized basket once and yes you do need that little white plastic nozzle when you use it. Do NOT use it with regular baskets.

My reco would be get a regular double basket asap and file the pressurized baskets away. Then just concentrate on finding the right grind setting with your Hario for 14 grams in that basket. Could take a few shots ...you will get it though.    

Good luck.
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 3:22am

No problem, making my own coffee also involves a lot of fun :)

I stopped after 30 seconds because the coffee colour was getting lighter and the volume of coffee was like 60-80 ml at the moment already. It tasted certainly better than from Rowenta Opio (less sour), but I'd like to have smaller shots, I mean I have trouble creating concentrated shots (30-60 ml is OK for me). I understand I have to grind finer and/or tamp more. But these recommendations applies for standard baskets, I hope I'll get them soon (I may hope, but they are not in stock here).

Thanks for the link, emradguy, I'm not as far as to roast my own coffee, but I buy recently roasted coffee at a local shop. But I'm not that happy with it, I think they roast it too much.

What exactly do you mean by "Also, most of us use the "single" pf handle and basket for cleaning purposes."? I have only one pf handle. And by cleaning you mean backflushing?
Ceridan
Ceridan

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 3:25am

Shawn12 Said:

My reco would be get a regular double basket asap and file the pressurized baskets away. Then just concentrate on finding the right grind setting with your Hario for 14 grams in that basket. Could take a few shots ...you will get it though.    

Good luck.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

Thanks!

I have single, double and tripple basket ordered and well as naked portafilter (the tripple basket comes with it) and metal tamper - but it will take some time to arrive. Yeah, I guess I'll have to experiment with the grind size and tamping strength.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 11:20am

tamp pressure should always be the same, no matter what.  only adjust particle size and dose weight to modify your shot extractions.  yeah, sounds like you need to go slightly finer.  what it sounds to me like you're shooting for would be something called a ristretto (restricted).  it's a shot with lower volume than a normale, but with the same extraction time.

yeah, by cleaning I did mean backflushing, though you have to do a modified backflush with the Gaggia SBDU (I believe) - sorry I can't tell you exactly how to do it, as I've forgotten from when I had my Silvia.

the single handle has a single spout at the bottom and of course would have a single basket.

It sounds like you may have read the wrong article on espressomyespresso.com. there's one dedicated to adjusting your grind, dose and distribution technique.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I got my Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429455041885)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+