Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Newbie Help: Aeropress or Moka Pot for at home espresso shots
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie Help:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
chadadiah

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:09pm
Subject: Newbie Help: Aeropress or Moka Pot for at home espresso shots

Please forgive the likely stupid question. I've spent hours searching through the forums and cannot find an adequate answer.

I'm looking for a cheap and easy way to make iced lattes at home. I now understand that technically neither the aeropress or moka pot make true espresso, but I'm looking for that kind of a flavor profile.

I own an aeropress and have had decent results. A little weak for my liking usually. I can't really find any espresso shot recipes oddly.

I also just picked up a porlex tall hand mill.

So, what would you experts recommend for getting a decent double shot of pseudo espresso at home for a latte... an aeropress or a moka pot?

If the moka pot, what size would you recommend if 99% of the time I will only need to pull a double.

Thanks in advance for any replies =)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 6:52am
Subject: Re: Newbie Help: Aeropress or Moka Pot for at home espresso shots

chadadiah Said:

...I now understand that technically neither the aeropress or moka pot make true espresso, but I'm looking for that kind of a flavor profile.

I own an aeropress and have had decent results. A little weak for my liking usually. I can't really find any espresso shot recipes oddly.

Posted January 2, 2013 link

why do you find it odd that there are no espresso recipes for the Aeropress?  You just admitted that you recognize it doesn't make espresso.

chadadiah Said:

So, what would you experts recommend for getting a decent double shot of pseudo espresso at home for a latte... an aeropress or a moka pot?

Posted January 2, 2013 link

neither...though I know some South Americans who try their best to "make a latte" using moka pot coffee.  If you choose that route, which would be closer to espresso than the Aeropress, you might want to buy an Aeroccino from N'espresso for frothing milk.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
sn_85

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:29am

Both the Aeropress and Moka Pot cost around $30 each and since you already have the Aeropress it makes the debate even easier, just get both.  Add in a hand pump frother and it's as close to making lattes as you can without buying an expensive machine.

Click Here (www.williams-sonoma.com)
runt
runt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Señor Brewtus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, zassenhaus
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 3:24pm

I would say hands down the Aeropress - and I've tried tons of different brewing methods. When I'm away from my espresso machine it's what I use. I never got the knack of consistent results with a Moka pot.

You complained about your Aeropress results being weak - don't be afraid to tweak things.  You should be able to make the coffee concentrate as strong as you want. Personally, I use pretty fine grind, and water just over 200 degrees F. I use a bit more coffee than the instructions. I also am in no rush to plunge - once I add water I stir for about 20 seconds in different directions to make sure there are no dry grounds stuck against the side of the chamber. I then let it sit while I rinse the stir paddle. Then I plunge.

If you experiment with the amount of grounds and brew time I have to believe you'll get to something as strong as you want.

Good luck.

Cut your cell phone bill in half. www.solavei.com/mmschuck
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:54pm

I'm shocked... The aeropress makes an EXCELLENT latte! The best in my opinion, and I make my own lattes with it daily. Perhaps you are using too much water and deluding the coffee? I use a dark roast coffee, (two full scoops) and only 4oz of almost-boiling water. Brew longer than the manual states, more like 60s secs. Add 6-8oz of steamed milk and you're ready to go!

BTW - I have both an aeropress and a moka pot, so I am very familiar with both methods... I love my moka pot, but I find the aeropress produces more consistent results. You never over-extract (AKA, that burnt taste), which is often the case with the moka pot... If you aren't watching that bad boy like a hawk, you ruin your coffee. As for a perfect shot from the moka pot VS a typical shot from the aeropress? They're actually sort-of similar.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie Help:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37498497963)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+