Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Got a used Gaggia Classic, whats next?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Got a used...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:47pm
Subject: Re: Got a used Gaggia Classic, whats next?

Not so expensive good grinder is Baratza Preciso or Vario refurb.  Most available at Baratza.com on Thursdays when they post the "new" refurbs.  

Your questions are welcome, no apology needed.

I think I can find a picture of the thermometer as it is ready to use.  It has a thermistor and needs to be dry.  Here is one with a length of wire soldered in to lengthen.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/588424

You will not need to do that.  The Polder is the only one that I know slides apart.  The Harbor Freight ones are glued in, for example.

I think that I can find a better picture.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:16pm

Here is the Polder digital as you want to see it.  

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/569927#569927

I found that I got a decent result by removing the stainless sheath and then "attaching" as I will describe.  I used a soldering iron to spot heat the stainless at the insertion into the plastic.  Heat just enough to warn the steel to loosen it.  You need it warm, and can feel it start to give.  Remember that you have wires in the sheath with presumably good insulation based on how it is used.

Take a drop of hot melt glue and glue the wires in the plastic outlet as a strain relief, but do not shorten them much.

With the top off of the Gaggia, you can identify clip 15 and thermofuse 16.  The clip is squarish and the fuse in round tubing and there is a small space that the thermistor can slide in.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

It does not even wedge tight and can slide through.  I nested mine there and it worked fine.  No thermopaste.  It is possible slightly slow and perhaps a degree off because of the lack of paste and lack of firm contact, but it worked fine.  It responded very quickly and I left it for a while even with the PID.  I brought the thermometer case to the top of the cover.  Just enough length and barely enough room between case and lid for the wires.

D4F also at
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:18pm

D4F Said:

Not so expensive good grinder is Baratza Preciso or Vario refurb.  Most available at Baratza.com on Thursdays when they post the "new" refurbs.  

Your questions are welcome, no apology needed.

I think I can find a picture of the thermometer as it is ready to use.  It has a thermistor and needs to be dry.  Here is one with a length of wire soldered in to lengthen.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/588424

You will not need to do that.  The Polder is the only one that I know slides apart.  The Harbor Freight ones are glued in, for example.

I think that I can find a better picture.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

Okay, this one seems to be a portafilter temperature device. I thought originally andy was talking about setting it up on the boiler inside the case. Or are you just giving me an example photo?

EDIT: it looks like your second post beat me to the punch.
brianl

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:44pm

D4F Said:

Here is the Polder digital as you want to see it.  

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/569927#569927

I found that I got a decent result by removing the stainless sheath and then "attaching" as I will describe.  I used a soldering iron to spot heat the stainless at the insertion into the plastic.  Heat just enough to warn the steel to loosen it.  You need it warm, and can feel it start to give.  Remember that you have wires in the sheath with presumably good insulation based on how it is used.

Take a drop of hot melt glue and glue the wires in the plastic outlet as a strain relief, but do not shorten them much.

With the top off of the Gaggia, you can identify clip 15 and thermofuse 16.  The clip is squarish and the fuse in round tubing and there is a small space that the thermistor can slide in.

It does not even wedge tight and can slide through.  I nested mine there and it worked fine.  No thermopaste.  It is possible slightly slow and perhaps a degree off because of the lack of paste and lack of firm contact, but it worked fine.  It responded very quickly and I left it for a while even with the PID.  I brought the thermometer case to the top of the cover.  Just enough length and barely enough room between case and lid for the wires.

Thanks for the update. I guess all i can do now is pick one up. I looked online and only bed bath and beyond seems to have them. Will have to drive out to one soon. Then i'll report back!
brianl

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:44pm

Sorry, somehow it double posted.
brianl

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:53pm

brianl Said:

Thanks for the update. I guess all i can do now is pick one up. I looked online and only bed bath and beyond seems to have them. Will have to drive out to one soon. Then i'll report back!

I have it all modified for use. Is thermal paste the best option to hold in place to the boiler before I go get some? I don't think thermal paste allows electrical circuits but not sure if that matters since the thermistor (end of wire) only picks up the heat?
Sorry for the basic questions.

Thanks!
D4F

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 2:36pm

D4F Said:

No thermopaste.  It slips in a space and is fairly well surrounded, so good heat transfer.  When you slip it in the space you will see that it can just slide all of the way through, then the thermistor will have no contact and will be slow, and read low.  I played with the position and got it to stay and it worked well.

You can find a Youtube by AndyPanda in here and see his tmeparatures.  His thermocouple bead is held on the front, well away from the heaters and read about the same as on top.  You are getting a kind of average temperature, not nearly reactive as the spot where a brew stat is.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Keep asking, it is fine.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 6:49pm

I do like the location but i'm having a hard time wedging it in there. Whenever I try to close the lid it undoubtedly falls out so I was looking for another method to affix. It was either thermal paste or undoing that screw on the square clip and then sticking it under there.
D4F

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 9:44pm

I got mine to stay there without much difficulty.  I had to replace it once or twice and then it stayed.  The wiring takes a little set after heating and cooling inside the machine.  You may find a wire that you can loop a nylon tie strap around to help tension it, but I did not do that.  I got it to stay in the space between the squarsh clip and the round tubing, but it was a little loose.  Thermal paste is very messy and does not wipe off well.  Id also does not grip much.  It is for heat transfer, not glue.

Roll a very little wedge or "toothpick" out of aluminum foil and slid in along side.

D4F also at
brianl

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:05am

Big Changes and updates. Added the polder thermometer and fixed the thermistor to the front on the boiler in the middle bottom with the thermal type paste that you rub together. The temperature will cycle between about 203 and 225, which is different from others who said it goes up to 240. However, it's consistent so probably not an issue. Does anyone have a recommendation for stream?

The next step is to get a plug in timer because I don't have time to heat it up otherwise in the morning . Maybe a mechanical one or could I just put it on before bed and leave it on?

I have also upgraded to a baratza Vario. I no longer have any after tastes. Just really clean and tasty.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Got a used...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414256095886)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+