Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Baby Twin troubles
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 6:16pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin troubles

Why did the keyboard pcb fail?  Steam leak, moisture?  Makron, above, mentioned steam leak as underlying.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
qu1nn
qu1nn

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby 06 Twin
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 9:08am

I am unsure as to why that board failed.
visually there was no signs of water/steam/corrosion damage/board discoloration.  it looked good as new.  No solderjoint issues, and the LEDs passed diode testing.
I am attributing the failure to randomized fallout (bathtub curve type of situation) for the chip on the board.

I am going to bring some pcb conformal coating material home and seal up the pcbs.

Oh I wanted to mention that the entire back of the pcb is covered with a double sided sticky tape.... painful to remove.  
And when you buy the pcb it doesnt come with any (purchased at WLL)
Luckily I had a roll lying around.
and I busted one of the white mounting clips when trying to remove the entire keypad assembly.  I would suggest using a small flathead screwdriver to loosen up the white encasement to the housing.....

qu1nn
Makron

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 10:23am

I too also changed the ribbon cable, because before one month all LEDS went out. The truth is that I opened and closed the machine very often and the ribbon had struggled. If someone change  the keyboard  I suggest to change the ribbon cable also, for just to be sure. It is very cheap.

BTW after all those months I have not any more problem that I had with machine start working without pushing any button.
qu1nn
qu1nn

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 6:44pm

after a short stint..... new problems:

Recently I have a new failure mode that I need help with:

When I power on, the device front panel leds all start up as normal, within 2 seconds i hear a click and the power gets cut.

Analysis Looking at the parts diagram:
#37 (Part #5332004000) Two way switch makes consistent switching connections, 0 ohms when engaged.
#65 (Part # 189428300) 175F thermostat on the steamer is reading 26 Ohms
#19 (Part # DM1040) Fuse is reading 0 Ohms
#20 (Part # DM1168/K)  Boiler Thermostat T.107 is reading 0 Ohms

Questions)

1) Item #20 above, what should the resistance be at ambient?
2) Any suggestions on what to test/replace.... I am jonezing for some good brew.

Also.... the gaggia baby twin seems to be a pain in the A$$
is there another variant model, that makes use of the same parts (I am thinking of ordering another machine to keep downtime to a minimum)

l8r
qu1nn
qu1nn
qu1nn

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:28pm

now I am just frustrated:

So I ended up getting #37 ( Part# 533200400) ON/OFF switch; and that got the machine functional....
but you ask oh - I thought you check that in the prior post - ...
I did... if you push a bit on the the prongs - it will open up....didnt catch that at first....

Then, after replacing the switch and the Baby Twin stayed on, I thought I was in luck.... put it all back together and made a brew....
and no $hit, I have the steam issue again(strong steam for a bit then off)...

I will have to go back thru and redo some water rate tests again tomorrow.

I have made a bunch of cappo addicts, and I may need to get a backup machine so that I can keep the addicts at bay    ;)  100% uptime required!

Now realizing that I have been accumulating some extra parts here and there I figured that I would get a BABY CLASS and not another twin.... I have had it with all of the extra pcb's etc.
The BABY CLASS seems to have alot of the same parts, just lacks the extra boards, the thermoblock, the flow meter....
I understand there is alot of complaints about leaks, and in general seems like the suggestion is to get the CLASSIC.....
I am kinda stumped on what to do...  I need to have less downtime.  I probably have $100+ in spare parts for the TWIN....

Anyone have any thoughts?

qu1nn
D4F

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:57pm

qu1nn Said:

... in general seems like the suggestion is to get the CLASSIC.....
I am kinda stumped on what to do...  I need to have less downtime.  I probably have $100+ in spare parts for the TWIN....

Anyone have any thoughts?

qu1nn

Posted February 14, 2014 link

Get the Classic :)

D4F also at
qu1nn
qu1nn

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:50am

D4F :
looking at the Gaggia site it appears that the classic is not actively shown in their PRODUCTS but is classified as "OLDER".... it appears as if the parts are common, but will there be any SUPPLY issues as far as new parts go?

----------------------------------------------

Back to my problem...  STEAM cutting out after 30s....(and yes I can hear the pump in working in the background, so it is not the issue shown at the end of the video link: Click Here (community.wholelattelove.com)

1) multiple tests: 8oz of hot water come out in 24, 24, 25s.... thus the pump is working fine, and there is the correct amount of FLOW.
2) I have re-re-re cleaned out the flow meter
3) for $hits and giggles I am going to replace the steam Thermodisc from the G5 229C to the G5 240C as per Jan 8 2013 post I did in this thread.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what to look for?

or is this just a case of a ventilate error being that the flow meter is botched?
is there a way to trick the output signal as to trick the system into not allowing the ventilate error to occur, ie short some pins or some bypass?

Thank you for your time in this
Qu1nn
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:02am

qu1nn Said:

D4F :
looking at the Gaggia site it appears that the classic is not actively shown in their PRODUCTS but is classified as "OLDER".... it appears as if the parts are common, but will there be any SUPPLY issues as far as new parts go?

Qu1nn

Posted February 15, 2014 link

I don't see the suggestion that older is discontinued, though that has been rumored since 2009 with Gaggia - Saeco - Phillips.  Many of the Gaggias share the aluminum boilers so parts are common, in fact the Twin has the similar boiler, group, 3 way.  I hope that we will all have parts as needed :)

Good luck with the Twin.

D4F also at
qu1nn
qu1nn

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 4:53pm

well....DF4
I just purchased the Classic from WLL..

qu1nn
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 7:45pm

qu1nn Said:

well....DF4
I just purchased the Classic from WLL..

qu1nn

Posted February 15, 2014 link

Wow, I missed this.  Have fun and let the mods begin :)

D4F also at
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.376091003418)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+