Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 130 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 5:25am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

I would just move to a better house.

Posted December 21, 2012 link

OUCH! lol

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: A new house...

Yes, go to an Architect's office with your BDB, grinder & knock box. Put it on his/her desk and demand s/he design a house around it. Problem solved!

Has anyone been using the 10g basket regularly with success? I bought the 15g VST in hopes of using it for testing coffee @ 14g vs 18 each time. Since they like a finer grind I'm getting much sloppier pucks and some clumping from my grinder. Should I consider shorter overall times for shots because of the reduction in dose? I'm so used to doubles at 28 seconds (without pre-infusion) that I never considered time as a variable. I love a VST basket, but the soppy pucks are sad.

Another quick question since I have your attention- I thought I read somewhere the cleaning disk has a pin-hole in it, and watching the video on Breville's site water definitely is coming out during the cleaning cycle. I haven't had 'clean me' yet but it should be soon. My disk doesn't allow any water through, I've used it to backflush (with just water) when finished pulling shots everyday. And to check my OPV. No water comes through, it's a real blind.

FWIW, the sloppy VST shot made a lovely Americano.

Thanx!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 1:34pm

BubbaDude Said:

I would just move to a better house.

Posted December 21, 2012 link

/<giggles...  
"Ya, I guess that kitchen with the pasta faucet over the prosumer wolf stove/oven, copper farmhouse sink, exhaust hood over the center console gas wok range, and six plate/bread warmers was a real let down without the coffee station + 30 amp surge protected, gfi, wall socket next to the mini bar sink..."

Yer right, 'Honey!.... we need a new....'

(sorry for putting words in someone elses mouth; more a rendition of my personal thought process when I got my coffee toys!)

- oh, and Motta Europa... mmmkay.... sexy... I must not want / I must not want / I must not...
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 8:26pm

MerleApAmber Said:

- oh, and Motta Europa... mmmkay.... sexy... I must not want / I must not want / I must not...

Posted December 22, 2012 link

I've got one, it's the bomb. What's the big deal, after dropping $2500 on a BDB/Vario/Hottop combo, why cheap out on the milk jug? I rarely make milk drinks, but I'm prepared.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 9:26pm

Bubbadude,
While you you have a fine point, I honestly have both a10 ounce and 20 ounce pitcher; which work well...for me it's more about one of the seven deadly sins than - yep I really need this.   Sigh, sad sometimes it comes down to this huh?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 7:02pm

Sure does. But my motto is: "you can never have too many tools."

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:58pm

My Clean Me light finally came on so I can officially run a cleaning tab through my machine.  Yesterday, plugged in the single with the rubber disk and cleaning tablet, waited the requisite 370 seconds, then wiped everything down and held the 2 cup button to rinse out the residue.  Later in the evening I went to pull an espresso and nothing.  The machine hisses and grinds but the pressure gauge never moves.  After a while some liquid began to leak through the puck and into the cup but the the pressure gauge remained at 0.  Shut it all down and figured I'd try again in the  morning.

In the AM, same result.  I pulled out my handy allen wrench and removed the screen and disk, washed everything down, reassembled and again, nothing.  Since I have family in town for the holiday I'll call Breville when I can in the next day or two but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm open.  This is the first issue I've had with the machine since replacing it way back in the beginning for the overpressure issue.

Michael
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:59pm

One more note, the steam works perfectly and there's hot water available from the dispenser.

Michael
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:35am

michaelgo Said:

One more note, the steam works perfectly and there's hot water available from the dispenser.

Michael

Posted December 26, 2012 link

Does it do this (nothing) on all three modes (i.e. Manual 1 cup & 2 cup)? Just wondering if it's a programming "thing"

Also, if all else fails, I bet Breville may ask you to reset it. Just a thought.

Good luck! And keep us posted, please!

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:31am

Michael, your problem sounds like what a few of the Aussies have had:  O-ring gasket failure on the three-way solenoid valve.  Several have had theirs fixed.  In Australia, Breville has repair shops fix the warrantied BDB's instead of replacing them (presumably because Australian courts do not tolerate frivolous law suits like ours do), verus full replacements like we get.  On the flip side, they get a TWO year warranty vice our ONE year warranty.

Anyhow, that gives the owner an opportunity to interact with the repair man, and IF he is mechanically inclined, can learn valuable things that can help him in the future, or help the rest of us, if he shares.

If your problem is indeed a bad gasket on your 3-way, it should be pretty easy to fix by yourself.  Even if Breville won't sell you an O-ring, you can find your own replacement as long as it's not of a proprietary shape.  Please get back to us, with what you find out.

-peter
showing page 130 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420017004013)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+