Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New concept in espresso machines coming
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New concept in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 8:00pm
Subject: New concept in espresso machines coming

I was surfing the net and I found an interesting thing. These two guys have started a company with an inexpensive but seemingly very efficient design. Could this be the
next new wave in people getting into espresso?

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 10:32pm
Subject: Re: New concept in espresso machines coming

No.

From December 2011:  The ZP Machines "Nocturn" - New low-cost, high-promises machine  (and multiple posts since)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:44pm

From the way it looks and the descripton reads it's just a SBDU.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 6:46am

yeah, exactly. It's a SBDU with an exceptionally large thermoblock!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:35am

It looks like bare aluminum, in that second picture on the homepage.  That will become pitted from exposure to the coffee acids in no time and will further disintegrate bit by bit with each descaling. Descaling will be needed fairly often considering the close tolerances of the waterpassages through that thermoblock and the repeated mating of disimilar metals.  Their $350 price is a high-end disposable price.  If the thermoblock w/enclosed element is available for $100 then it'd be a eco-friendly machine, Replacing the thermoblock only, every 5-7 years rather than disposing of the whole machine is a step in the right direction.  Perhaps it's not bare aliminum, it may be anodized but their claim that it's better "because it heats up faster" is a little fishy.  It's cheaper, and the only thing better about the aluminum is that it heats up faster than brass, it also decays faster after bonding with minerals, it oxidizes faster, and warps faster in uneven heating situations.  But it's cheaper.
If I were thinking of buying a new disposable, I'd find one for less than $200.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:49am

Iluvdabean Said:

I was surfing the net and I found an interesting thing. These two guys have started a company with an inexpensive but seemingly very efficient design. Could this be the
next new wave in people getting into espresso?

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/

Posted January 2, 2013 link

Nothing to really do with the concept the company is offering, but does kickstarter approve commercial ventures?  My understanding of Kickstarter startup funding is that they do not.  I may be wrong, but after reading their details there is a big question mark: Click Here (www.kickstarter.com)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:23am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

but does kickstarter approve commercial ventures?  My understanding of Kickstarter startup funding is that they do not.  I may be wrong, but after reading their details there is a big question mark: Click Here (www.kickstarter.com)

Len

Posted January 3, 2013 link

Under the Design and technology section:

•Single Serving. Projects in the Hardware and Product Design categories can only offer one reward per pledge. A reward consists of either one item or a set of items (e.g., salt and pepper shakers or building blocks). Offering a reward as a single quantity AND a set is not permitted.
In addition, Design and Technology projects that are developing new hardware or products must show on their project pages a functional prototype — meaning a prototype that currently does the things a creator says it can do — and detailed information about their experience. Projects developing new hardware or products are also prohibited from using product simulations, photorealistic product renderings, and offering multiple/bulk quantities of the product as a reward.

So I think this means that a company can build a prototype machine and offer it on kickstarter as a one machine/pledge system. Ie: 'give me $300 for a machine if the full amount I am asking for is reached'. This is how the espro press got their big size funded, isn't it. But I think they somehow had a way to buy bulk, which seems to be in conflict with the guidelines above.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:50am

diggi Said:

Under the Design and technology section:

•Single Serving. Projects in the Hardware and Product Design categories can only offer one reward per pledge. A reward consists of either one item or a set of items (e.g., salt and pepper shakers or building blocks). Offering a reward as a single quantity AND a set is not permitted.
In addition, Design and Technology projects that are developing new hardware or products must show on their project pages a functional prototype — meaning a prototype that currently does the things a creator says it can do — and detailed information about their experience. Projects developing new hardware or products are also prohibited from using product simulations, photorealistic product renderings, and offering multiple/bulk quantities of the product as a reward.

So I think this means that a company can build a prototype machine and offer it on kickstarter as a one machine/pledge system. Ie: 'give me $300 for a machine if the full amount I am asking for is reached'. This is how the espro press got their big size funded, isn't it. But I think they somehow had a way to buy bulk, which seems to be in conflict with the guidelines above.

I know this is going a bit off base with the OP original question, but projects such as these make me scratch my head wondering how it all works.  So if the kickstarter funding is approved the fundee only gets to build one?  And who does that one go to?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:25am

I think the idea is plausible and if they can achieve temperature and pressure control it has to work,there are no other alternatives. A new thermoblock design may achieve this. If it suceeds it can fill a niche that those who like to constantly adjust thier machines in trying to strive for the perfect shot arent interested in. This seems to be a large niche as evidenced by the plethora of unsucessful half hearted machines. If it suceeds in winning the praise of coffee machine reviewers then it could possibly chage the way people view espresso and the process. I find it facinating.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:42am

Iluvdabean Said:

If it suceeds in winning the praise of coffee machine reviewers then it could possibly chage the way people view espresso and the process.

How so?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New concept in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477237224579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+