Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Infuser + smart grinder?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Infuser...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 5:18pm
Subject: Re: Breville Infuser + smart grinder?

I went and looked at bit closer at the specs on the CC1, and it has both a 17oz SS boiler and a dedicated thermoblock for steaming. From what I can tell, the thermoblock is fed hot water from the boiler, decreasing time until steam ready, as well as almost negating cool down time for brewing.@

@Markarian I know what you mean about the SG, I really, really wanted it to be a viable option. It would look so much better on my counter than the other options! And for $200.....sigh.

I keep awaiting a more long term review of the CC1, becuase really I think it might be my best best....
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 5:54pm

MochaJoe, I also don't have real world experience with the Infuser (maybe someone at coffeesnobs does, it's an Aussie site); but my impression is that it's a good machine.  Steaming looked slow, but transition to steam is fast.  The thermocoil looks reliable and seems to perform well.

Still, the technology is relatively new and Breville's previous thermoblock leaked and didn't get up to temperature.  So the Infuser is more risky than other options.  And at $500 it's a bit expensive.

I agree with others that the Smart Grinder is weak, and if you can remove the Smart Grinder from the package the Infuser might be a good choice.

The CC1 is much more likely to give great coffee, and its steaming is almost certainly faster.  You're more likely to be taken care of by Crossland as well, in case anything breaks, and Bill knows what he's doing when it comes to espresso machines.
MJJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 10:08pm

I have a Silvia V3 (and added a PID two months ago). I saw the Breville Infuser in a department store and had a look at it out of curiosity, I couldn't get over how flimsy and cheap it felt compared to the Silvia. It felt like a cheap, Chinese made toy espresso machine in comparison, that would not last very long or hold out well. It really made me appreciate the hefty quality and Italian made craftsmanship of the Silvia and that counts for something eventhough it's fallen out of favour in these forums recently. I almost recommended the Infuser to a friend based on specs, now having looked at one in person I won't recommend it. My brother has a Breville Roma and that conked out after two years. He was able to solder in some electrical bits to bring it back to life, there was some interesting electrical arcing going on inside, yikes. I haven't used the Breville Infuser but would much prefer a Silvia without PID just because of the quality feel and commercial quality components, I'm so tired of junky products that are everywhere these days. When I installed the PID on the Silvia I could see how sturdy and well made this thing is inside and the quality of the espresso I can get out of it really does make me happy. I didn't need the PID to get great espresso from it but having the PID is lots of fun (and it is much more tweakable than what the Breville Infuser PID offers).
  I wouldn't go for the Breville grinder either judging by the SCG review, it seems like it wouldn't grind fine enough for many machines, you need some head way on the fine end. A Preciso can grind fine enough for espresso (if they calibrated it properly at the factory...I tried one that was incapable until shimmed). How about a re-furb Vario? They look nice too.
-Matt
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 6:46pm

MJJ Said:

I wouldn't go for the Breville grinder either judging by the SCG review, it seems like it wouldn't grind fine enough for many machines, you need some head way on the fine end.

Posted January 2, 2013 link

I was watching the SCG reviews on this grinder today and they seem to like the newest release that doesn't need the shims.  I was about to pull the trigger on this, but am now second guessing.
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 7:22pm

After all the back and forth, I just went with a hand grinder for now as its just me drinking coffee. At least I should be able to get consistent grind for espresso.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Infuser...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356626987457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+