Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading to HX or dual boiler machine
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 8:32pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading to HX or dual boiler machine

You have a lot of choices if the 1500 is for a machine only.  I understand that Oscar is not pretty.  If I had a larger budget it would not be my first choice.  However, it works well for the money I had.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GlenO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 9:40pm

Charity, I went through a similar decision process about nine months ago when I was looking to upgrade from my Silvia of five years.  My usage is similar to yours based on your initial post (i.e., usually just myself, occasionally a second person and even more occasionally 3 to 4 people).  After weeks of reviewing online information, reviews, posts on this site and other coffee sites as well as conversations with two different vendors, I narrowed my search down to the Rocket Cellini Premium Plus and its closest equivalent in the Quickmill familly, the Andreja, which is Anita's big sister.  Both are solid machines with equivalent quality components and similar fit and finish.  I preferred the looks of the Rocket and with a newer house with an open floor plan and a kitchen with other stainless steel appliances, looks are important to me.  There's nothing wrong with that.   In the Andreja's favor was its ability to be plumbed in if one purchased the optional plumb kit.  When I was able to purchase V1 Rocket at a closeout price, the Rocket won out.  The steaming ability of the Rocket is more than adequate.  I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the performance of the Quckmiill.

As far as not being able to plumb in the Premium Plus, for me it has been a non-issue.  As I mentioned, my usage is typically quite light.  And I've been pleasantly surprised how minimal a flush is required to get the Rocket to proper brew temperature.  Light usage plus minimal flushing means less water, obviously.  I've gotten into the habit of topping off the reservoir as part of my daily cleaning/maintenance routine, but know I could often go two, perhaps three days without needing to refill if I chose.  Of course, I'm sure if I were plumbed in, I'd love the convenience.

If you do go the HX, E-61 route, I would recommend getting a brew head thermometer (i.e, "Eric's Thermometer").  It helped me immensely getting my flush routine down.  And even now that I have a pretty good understanding of how the Rocket behaves, I find myself using the thermometer daily.

One last note, if you're open to purchasing a product return, following the holidays there are likely to be quite a few returns to vendors, with customers taking advantage of the 30-day, no questions asked return privilege.  The machines carry a full warranty and usually can be had with  substantial savings.  That might keep you closer to your $1500 budget.  Look for "Buyer's Remorse" items at Chris Coffee and "Open Box" items at Seattle Coffee Gear (and I'm assuming other vendors would have something similar).
 View Profile Link to this post
CharityV
CharityV

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 9:44pm

The Oscar is a great machine from everything I read. I definitely don't mean to imply it isn't worth the money just because it isn't my cuppa, so to speak. I'm sure every morning it makes you fantastic espresso, and that's the point of all this, after all. :)

cuznvin- I have not looked at those, but I will now that you've mentioned them.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 4:32am
Subject: Re: Upgrading to a dual boiler machine

cuznvin Said:

Just wondering why a DB is more complicated to maintain??

Posted December 23, 2012 link

I apologize for seeming like this is off topic, but I probably should answer this question just to be courteous and perhaps it will help in a future decision when it comes to the whole HX vs DB thing.

It is my understanding that a DB is more complex to maintain because you have to descale two boilers, not just one. Some double boiler machines work like a "Conventional" heat exchanging machine
on the steam boiler side, then that water gets pumped into the coffee (or brew) boiler for temperature stabilization. This is so that when one is pulling a long shot, the temperature of the coffee boiler
stays relatively stable and the brew boiler heater doesn't have to work as hard. Its almost as if they "re-used" some of the HX components and added another boiler. :-)

In order to be able to fully descale the machine, the whole machine needs to be disassembled, descaled, cleaned and reassembled. With a service manual and a decent set of tools, it probably isn't
a big deal if you have some mechanical aptitude. Chris's coffee recommends not descaling HX or DB machines, due to the fact that it can sometimes create more problems than it can solve.

Now, in saying that, some hardcore coffee geeks will probably say that this is bad advice and one should always regularly run descaler (Like a Citric Acid Solution) though the machine every 6 months
before scale has a chance to build up. OK, that's fine. I think if one knows where to look for the common problems that can occur after descaling and know how to repair them, then go for it. (Things like
clogged steam or hot water wands, stuck anti-backflow valve, stuck vacuum breaker, etc.)

Personally, I build computers as a hobby. Looking inside of one of these machines, it looks somewhat daunting but only because I'm not familiar with it. Once I understand what all of the components
do and understand how the machine disassembles and reassembles, it isn't that bad for me. I can "Figure it out.", but it would probably take me the better part of a day to do so. In all honesty, unless
you want to risk having your nice shiny expensive machine sitting in a pile of parts on your workbench for months at a time, (ie. Redneck Trans-Am syndrome) I'd recommend that you get your machine
serviced by an experienced, qualified service person working at a reputable service depot, regardless if it is HX or DB.

It is up to you to decide wether or not you want to take on a task like that yourself. I think it's akin to working on your car. Some people I've met can do a complete engine tear down without having a
mechanics journeyman's certificate. Others can't even do an oil change themselves. Some people I've met don't even know that their oil even needs changing....

Now, as a disclaimer, I'm saying this not as an experienced, qualified service technician. I'm saying all of these things as a hobbyist and I'm still learning. I'm just erroring (sp?) on the side of caution.
What I'm doing above is re-affirming my knowledge and hoping that I didn't goof up a detail above. :-)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 4:57am

I just thought I'd quickly mention, just to be more on topic...

I was thinking... If you can find a Rocket Cellini Evoluzione or an Izzo Alex II  (Not the Duetto) on sale, on clearout or on a buyers remorse deal, consider one of these machines instead. The downside may be,
either one of these machines may violate your budget up to $500 over, but would possibly save you the need to buy another machine down the road if you wanted to plumb-in.

If you are firm on your budget, I can respect that. I just thought I'd toss that idea out there if it was an option and you were flexible.

Good luck.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 5:54am

qualin Said:

I apologize for seeming like this is off topic, but I probably should answer this question just to be courteous and perhaps it will help in a future decision when it comes to the whole HX vs DB thing.

It is my understanding that a DB is more complex to maintain because you have to descale two boilers, not just one. Some double boiler machines work like a "Conventional" heat exchanging machine
on the steam boiler side, then that water gets pumped into the coffee (or brew) boiler for temperature stabilization. This is so that when one is pulling a long shot, the temperature of the coffee boiler
stays relatively stable and the brew boiler heater doesn't have to work as hard. Its almost as if they "re-used" some of the HX components and added another boiler. :-)

In order to be able to fully descale the machine, the whole machine needs to be disassembled, descaled, cleaned and reassembled. With a service manual and a decent set of tools, it probably isn't
a big deal if you have some mechanical aptitude. Chris's coffee recommends not descaling HX or DB machines, due to the fact that it can sometimes create more problems than it can solve.

Now, in saying that, some hardcore coffee geeks will probably say that this is bad advice and one should always regularly run descaler (Like a Citric Acid Solution) though the machine every 6 months
before scale has a chance to build up. OK, that's fine. I think if one knows where to look for the common problems that can occur after descaling and know how to repair them, then go for it. (Things like
clogged steam or hot water wands, stuck anti-backflow valve, stuck vacuum breaker, etc.)

Personally, I build computers as a hobby. Looking inside of one of these machines, it looks somewhat daunting but only because I'm not familiar with it. Once I understand what all of the components
do and understand how the machine disassembles and reassembles, it isn't that bad for me. I can "Figure it out.", but it would probably take me the better part of a day to do so. In all honesty, unless
you want to risk having your nice shiny expensive machine sitting in a pile of parts on your workbench for months at a time, (ie. Redneck Trans-Am syndrome) I'd recommend that you get your machine
serviced by an experienced, qualified service person working at a reputable service depot, regardless if it is HX or DB.

It is up to you to decide wether or not you want to take on a task like that yourself. I think it's akin to working on your car. Some people I've met can do a complete engine tear down without having a
mechanics journeyman's certificate. Others can't even do an oil change themselves. Some people I've met don't even know that their oil even needs changing....

Now, as a disclaimer, I'm saying this not as an experienced, qualified service technician. I'm saying all of these things as a hobbyist and I'm still learning. I'm just erroring (sp?) on the side of caution.
What I'm doing above is re-affirming my knowledge and hoping that I didn't goof up a detail above. :-)

Posted December 24, 2012 link

Thanks so much for answering. Now I have more questions... Does the  whole machine need to be disassembled on an HX machine too? I am not handy and doubt  will be taking any machine apart. Plus there arent any espresso machine dealers on Long Island. Im guessing it is less expensive to have an HX machine professionally descaled vs a DB. I guess this is why Breville requires that their machines be professionally descaled....

GlenO post also makes sense to mebecause I will probably have the same usage as they do. Now Im thinking the HX route instead.
qualin
qualin

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 6:23am

cuznvin Said:

Does the  whole machine need to be disassembled on an HX machine too?

I've heard that the heat exchanging tube can get clogged up if the scale is bad enough, which I believe would warrant disassembly, but descaling the boiler itself is a less complex process, because there's
only one of them in an HX machine. I guess it depends on the machine and how it is constructed. Like I said, I'm not a service professional. I'd prefer to hear an answer from someone who has actually done
the work and can give their opinion on the topic before making any judgements or statements.

cuznvin Said:

I'm guessing it is less expensive to have an HX machine professionally descaled vs a DB.

Who knows. The only thing you can do is ask the nearest dealer. Chris's coffee is roughly about a 3 hour drive away from Long Island. I'd call them and ask. Shop rate in my area hovers around $110/hr.

cuznvin Said:

I guess this is why Breville requires that their machines be professionally descaled....

I think it is also a liability issue. Breville doesn't want to worry about people descaling the machines improperly which could lead to potential warranty work.

cuznvin Said:

Now Im thinking the HX route instead.

I don't really want to cause another HX/DB flamewar on this forum. Both a DB and HX have their advantages and disadvantages, but that's something best left for another thread. It's not fair to the OP for me to
have Hijacked this thread, I just wanted to answer your question. Better if you post a separate topic with your questions before you make any judgements.

mmlugar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 9:06am

I agree.  Can't speak from experience, but the HX option seems best.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:39am

I freely admit Oscar is an ugly work horse and did not take offense, I was pointing out you could do it new and grinder for 1.5k.  But for $475 it was a great deal for the power house Oscar is under the hood.  And I did not want to spend over 1k total for my full set up.  I have now on tampers, pitchers, thermometers etc.  

I would have loved to have 1.5k to spend on the machine alone.  That is a healthy budget. Also get the Vario W I think the W is worth it.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:42am

I am not handy.  I am reasonably good trouble shooter and I have replaced a pump, a valve and cleaned a valve.  I took lots of photos at every stage so I could put it back together.  I will say it is pretty easy to work on these machines.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477630138397)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+