Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 152 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:46pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Cordes Said:

And although I will play with the scale and see if I get any improvement, I'm not convinced that it will be necessary.

Posted February 9, 2013 link

Paul,
I wish I had your reflexes. For me it's been life long lessons about management of the quantities of whatever was in front of me, be it chemistry to measure radiation in nuclear power plant coolant water, micro-grams of a given drug or nutrient as medication, or gram/ounce scale measurement in baking.  The benefit I see with dosing a portafilter is literally the 1/10th gram mass adjustments possible when the grind seems right but the timing or pressure is a couple seconds off or half a bar off the sweet spot.

All the same, I can totally get the synergy of free-styling a run of drinks and everyone around the bar being happier than when they came in.

Welcome to CG! Enjoy your new toy.  Variety and all that wot?
-Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
sae

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 1:04pm

So are you saying that the volumetric dosing is done before the opv? If so then that is a terrible design and could explain why my volumes are a bit off from time to time.
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 4:40pm

Can anyone offer tips on milk steaming for the BDB?  I am either getting no foam, or I am doubling the volume of the milk and having way too much.  Can someone describe the technique they use to get microfoam?  (or even better upload a video)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 5:12pm

How about general tips, not BDB specific.  Helped me on Gaggia.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

http://silviaschool.com/node/9

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 6:29pm

sae Said:

So are you saying that the volumetric dosing is done before the opv? If so then that is a terrible design and could explain why my volumes are a bit off from time to time.

RE- Preprogrammed doses on ALL espresso machines:

I believe the volume pushed through your puck is not only affected by the blend & dose, but also grind. You can also set the volume yourself if you wish. So whatever the buttons are set at from the factory, they can not be perfect for everyone. You can set them to your preference. If you switch coffees the dose may be off for the new coffee.

Thanks to the boards here and at CS, I started weighing my shots. I prefer a normale, or roughly 2x the weight (in the shot) of the ground espresso in the basket. That is, 18g in the basket gives 36g of espresso in the shot glass. I use the manual button to start & stop the shot, not the pre-programmed double button. However, once I have my grind set I generally find the pre-programmed double button to be pretty close to what I was doing manually. Some prefer a 'ristretto' which would be a tighter grind giving only 18g in a similar amount of time. At least that's my understanding of the terms. There is a pre-infusion which adds to the time counted by your machine. It's 7 seconds pre-infusion, but can be changed. This gets confusing when people quote shot times, but generally something around 30seconds for the pour after the pre-infusion is considered about right and a good starting place.

Measuring shots by volume is tricky and inconsistent. If you are looking for consistency, use weight. Use a scale to check your tamping, use a scale to check the espresso in your basket. Use weight. Use a scale to check your shot weight as it pours. By doing that your only variable left is - grind. The Breville will keep your brew temp within 1F of what you set it at, so that's not a variable.

A pro Barista does this enough everyday to know a correct dose and tamp from training. S/he must pump out drinks quickly. Most of us here aren't pulling that many shots and have the time to do the math. As a Roaster I do want to point out that once you have ground your coffee you should move quickly. Coffee ground that fine stales easily. I also recommend purging the stale coffee from your grinder if it's sitting for a few minutes. Just a few seconds of running most grinders will do the trick.

If you get adventurous then you can create variables with the brew temp and pre-infusion parameters. Personally I set brew temp higher for lighter roasts, lower for darker roasts. Heck you can even mess with the dose if you want to. Before you do all that, get consistent with the dose, tamp, and liquid output.

It's ALL opinion, which doesn't help. Work with one variable at a time and you will likely experience less frustration! By managing your variables one at a time you can find what YOU like and then REPEAT IT! Which is the point. So try shots that go long or short, you never know what you might like.

That's my unsolicited opinion. I read through 140 pages on one site and 70+ on another and that's what I've taken away.

BTW- I use a $10 bathroom scale for checking my tamp and a sub $20 scale that measures to .1g for everything else. Not a huge investment.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 7:24pm

D4F Said:

How about general tips, not BDB specific.  Helped me on Gaggia.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

http://silviaschool.com/node/9

Very helpful, thanks.

Here is my first try at videoing a naked pour.  A little long, but it tasted great.  Pretty happy with the distribution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFFj6fZhNfI
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 7:52pm

Happy it helped.  The tip on noise vs depth helped me, and I was staying at the foaming stage too long.

D4F also at
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:07pm

D4F Said:

Happy it helped.  The tip on noise vs depth helped me, and I was staying at the foaming stage too long.

One of the things I was confused about was where the microfoam was supposed to be.  I thought it was just a layer on top, but those links seem to say that the foam should be evenly distributed throughout the milk.  I originally thought you poured milk, then poured the foam at the end.
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:24pm

Some of the experts at microfoam and art can answer better.  There are microfoam threads not related to a specific machines.  In my limited experience there is not going to be 100% microfoam in a pitcher, and air/foam floats.  Seen through glass, there will be some milk at the bottom of foam.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:57pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Here is my first try at videoing a naked pour.  A little long, but it tasted great.  Pretty happy with the distribution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFFj6fZhNfI

It looked like about 40 seconds from coffee showing at the basket until stop, for about 1.5 oz. Longer by pump time of course. I also note that this is a fairly new machine to you, and I have no experience with BDB.  The shot seemed long, and seemed quite light colored, possibly blonded at the end.  Perhaps a bit fine on the grind.  Distribution seemed good and I know that is what you were actually checking.  Looks like you are having fun with your new machine and learning :)

D4F also at
showing page 152 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.428797006607)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+