Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where to from Silvia and Rocky
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 6:48pm
Subject: Re: Where to from Silvia and Rocky

I would like to chime in in regards to the grinder. Don't cross a doserless of the list just yet. You can grind a shot at a time and the doser actually helps fluff the grinds somewhat. Commercial grinders don't necessarily push all the grinds out but if you do a search for "tape mod" you'll see how to use a little electrical tape on the bottom of the vains to clear out the chamber nicely.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 8:01am

lethalduck Said:

How often should the Rocky burs be sharpened?

Posted December 30, 2012 link

people generally replace burr sets, rather than sharpen them.  I really think you'll do well to upgrade your grinder.  As you must know by now, the Rocky more often than not leaves you wanting to choose a setting between two clicks, but of course, that's impossible.  You end up changing your dose, so you can get your shots right.  

lethalduck Said:

We normally get our beans from the super market.
Coffee roasters are coming and going all the time, so there is plenty of selection.

I don't know how coffee is stocked in grocery stores in NZ, but in the US, it's perhaps the worst place to buy coffee, as it's extremely rare to find one that has anything close to fresh beans.  Just remember that beans must be used within 15 days of roasting and within 15 minutes of grinding to be fresh, and espresso capable.

Having never used a lever machine, I can't tell you all the ups and downs, but since I brought it up, I ought to at least tell you what it seems like from the outside.  I like the idea of either having to learn how to pull a shot with my arm, or use a spring to deliver the pressure, rather than a pump.  I like the looks of the machines, they seem "classic" to me.  Most of them seem to have very large boilers, and good thermal stability. One downside I see is the water delivery is premeasured by the machine, so to get your extraction just right, your dose and grind must me spot on.  In other words, if you happen to grind slightly too fine, you can't run your shot a little longer to finish the extraction (or so it seems to me - having never used one).  I think if I ever did own one, I would have two machines, one HX or DB and one lever.  Now, someone who actually owns a lever and has researched them thoroughly might tell you everything I said is wrong.  If you want to research them more, I'd suggest checking out the lever forum.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:49am

lethalduck Said:

What is the next grinder to acquire?

Posted December 28, 2012 link

Good question but there's not just a single answer even for people upgrading from the same equipment.  I'd also suggest the Vario and Mini as minimums but if you're considering Mazzer then you might want to at least consider the Super Jolly.  It really depends on your goals (long term and short term), your budget and your preferences -- much like anything else in life.  The problem with asking others for recommendations that involve preference is that you have to know what you prefer or take a best guess.  Best way to find out what you prefer is to experience the options which, admittedly, isn't always possible.

lethalduck Said:

A lot of people seem to have a lot of trouble with some of them.

True but you have to be careful attempting to extrapolate trends from forum posts.  By nature, discussion forum sites get postings from people with problems.  You also have to consider the volume of sales when you're trying to extrapolate the frequency of problems.  A particular model may seem to have more problems when it may just sell better and therefore have more people posting about problems.

lethalduck Said:

Grinder or espresso machine first?

Definitely grinder first.  The grinder matters more, as pointed out constantly here.  Upgrading from a Rocky was one of the bigger improvements in my experience.

lethalduck Said:

Silvia is great, but she costs time in bleed, power on, power off, fill water tank, 30 minute wait to heat up, temp surf is essential for optimum shot (family members just can't get this).
All things that a more expensive machine eliminates.

Not necessarily.  Many expensive machines still require temp surfing and/or flushing.  Any well-built machine is going to have a long warm up time.  A large mass of metal doesn't instantly heat up.  Some expensive machines are pourovers or switchable.  If you know that certain features are must-haves then make sure they're on your shopping list and that you're checking your list as you look.  Price is just price.  Don't assume anything.  

lethalduck Said:

I think doserless is the way to go for low quantity delivery.

As stated many times here, doser versus doserless is a matter of preference (which also plays into your first question that I quoted).

lethalduck Said:

We normally get our beans from the super market.
Coffee roasters are coming and going all the time, so there is plenty of selection.

I can't speak to coffee in NZ but the grocery store is generally the worst place in the US to buy beans as emradguy said.  Surely there are roasters in NZ that have managed to stick around?  I haven't had problems with my roasters coming and going but the coffee scene may be different in the US.  It certainly varies within the US.

You can always try roasting your own.

lethalduck Said:

Most of the time I'm still getting great shots from her, I can't say the same for other family members that just want coffee, but aren't interested in learning the how.

Even on "more forgiving" machines there's a learning curve.  If they're not willing to deal with it then maybe you should consider a single serve machine for them.
lethalduck

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 12:50am

Just purchased a second hand VIBIEMME Domobar Super + Mazzer mini for NZ$2600.
4 years old. Apparantly been in storage for 3 years.
Haven't picked them up yet, but they appear well looked after in the images.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 6:36am

now, THAT is a great setup!  You should be happy with those for years to come.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dfrench200
dfrench200
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Alexia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:40pm

I upgraded from the Silvia and Rocky a few weeks ago (after 7 yrs) and got a Vario and Quick Mill Anita. I am amazed at how much better/easier/forgiving the new set up is. It was becoming a chore to make espresso: grind , WDT, tamp cross my fingers and hope for a good shot. Now grind tamp mad pull, with very consistent results. The taste is better too.  What I'm trying to say is you will love the new setup!!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where to from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.465174913406)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+