Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Newbie buying his first machine. Need help
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
revolver1978
revolver1978
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Newbie buying his first machine. Need help

As a newbie as well, I'd offer up this suggestion:

Grinder - a used Rocky (doserless) or new/refurb Baratza Preciso/Vario. A Rocky might be had for $250 used; the Preciso refurb is $240 from Baratza. If you can bring yourself to splurge, go for the Vario.

Machine - A used Gaggia Classic can be had for under $300 if you search. The warm-up time is short, the steam is decent for one drink at a time, and the investment minimal. They also hold their value. I wouldn't spend the money on a new one; they are pretty robust and there are no electronics that could flake out easily. You could swap out the steam wand for a commercial style wand if you want to at a later date.

Personally I wouldn't consider any of the other Gaggia consumer machines other than the Classic.

I've never used a Silvia, but they seem to hold their value well. Used models seam to command over $300 regularly, and from whet I've read, the long warm-up wasn't convenient for my schedule/needs.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:59am

All machines need at least twenty minutes or more to warm up not just waiting for the water to get hot. The whole machine needs to stabilize at temp. Just waiting for the light to go out is not long enough. The light goes out on a Sylvia in about 5 minutes.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:38pm

I've owned Rocky and would recommend against it.  The steps are to wide, making it difficult to get the grind just right.  You end up modifying your dose to get the shots to come out how you want, and well...if you're a newbie, that makes the balance between grind and dose that much harder.  If you're experienced enough to know how to do that without to much difficulty, then you want a better grinder.

...and +1 to what Wayne (calblacksmith) said.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 1:00pm

Having the temp be constant is the problem with the smaller boilers that single boiler starter machines have.  So, the warm up time is very important so you are as stable as that machine can be.  That is one of the nice things about more expensive machines, larger boilers and better heat stability.

Grinder with no steps or really small steps is very important and can't be over stated.  The grinder affects the taste in the cup more than you would think.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358067989349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+