Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic or one of its newer sisters?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 1:02pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic or one of its newer sisters?

Good choice.  It should be fine as it comes.  Here are a couple of easy improvements for the Classic.  Not necessary, but good bang for the buck improvements.  First is an improved steam wand, a Rancilio part, and a 10-15 minute bolt on part.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=1974765

Nest is the OPV adjustment to brew at 9 bar.  It is the correct pressure and makes the Gaggia easier to use.

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

And the pressure gauge.

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSp1_x5CLw

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Ceridan
Ceridan

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Slim
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 1:26pm

Thanks, I was going to ask some questions regarding the Classic modifications.

As for the wand replacement, I'v never actually used a wand so far, so this is probably going to wait a bit.

Now the OPV adjustment is more interesting thing, but I don't have a pressure gauge, but I could adjust it just according to the 270 degrees recommendation. But I fear the most a loss of the warranty :-/
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 2:06pm

How to set "blind" part way down the page.  This adjusts the OPV based on flow at a given pressure and you catch the outflow in a cup.  I did this before using the gauge and it was a good appoximation.  

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/436367

I waited about 3 months until I felt everything was working normally and I was not afraid of the warranty.  If you turn 270 degrees and had a warranty problem you could turn it back.  It is all turnable parts.  

The most common problem in Gaggia is steam wand drip.  Mine had a very minor drip when I got is and is unchanged in about 1 year.  I would not tolerate much drip on a new machine, but many drip new.  It is a problem that almost always occurs over time.  Scale gets in the steam needle valve or it gets over tightened.  Use it for a while before you mod.

Eventually the mod is a PID for temperature control.  It is all removable and would be difficult to detect if removed and all turned to OEM.  Prior to PID, you will want to temperature surf and may be doing that on your current set up???  If not, or for Gaggia specific, search.

Have fun:)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332535982132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+