Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La marzocco gs3 .... Boiler refill problem
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La marzocco gs3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Sepp

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La marzocco gs3
Grinder: Mazzer
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:20pm
Subject: La marzocco gs3 .... Boiler refill problem

Help ...... Bought my gs3 from Chris Coffee last July and it work like a charm. As I had to travel for 6 mos I drained the boilers per specifications and now it will not refill. Machine turned on the control panel just says boiler refill but it is not refilling. Talked with Chris's services department and they had no idea other than that the machine is not getting a signal from the reservoir. Well I cleaned all the reservoir contact (inside contacts, outside contacts and springs so that was not the problem. The instruction manual has a bold type Note saying: "ensure all air is removed from the group prior to starting the espresso machine. This only needs to be completed once during the initial setup or when water is drained from the coffee boiler.

Well since I have drained the boiler this instruction would apply but what steps do I have to take to remove the air. The service department never called me back and since it is Xmas I was hoping someone form this community could help me to get restarted.

I welcome all help ..... Merry Xmas to you all

sepp
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 6:02pm
Subject: Re: La marzocco gs3 .... Boiler refill problem

Silly question, but is the pump running and it's not refilling, or does the pump not run?
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 6:32pm

Hi I'm out if town and away from my setup but I have a GS-3. The air bleed is via a screw that is accessed by removing the group head cover. It's kinda obvious when u get in there but I'm almost certain that there is a picture of it in the owners manual. Or just google GS 3 air bleed. If all fails I'd call Chris coffee on Wed. They are top notch. . I have worked with them for a long time and have had no bad experiences ever.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:12pm

Hi again. I had another thought. U may have to prime the pump. That is get water to it.
Sepp

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 5:42am

Nope .... The pump is not running but then the Technician seems to think that if for some reason the machine does not get a signal from the water reservoir nothing would get started. Your idea that the pump needs to get primed is a logical one .... No idea how to do that but will get back with Chris's Coffee.

Thanks
DavecUK

Posted Tue Dec 25, 2012, 6:46am

Check the water reservoir full switch, it's the most likely cause of the problem. You could even try bypassing it and see if the machine then runs.
Sepp

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 1:52pm

Mystery solved thanks to Tim from CC ...... Root use of the problem was the store bought filtered water which apparently did not have enough electrolytes to initiate the full reservoir switch circuit. We got there when Tim asked me to check all connections associated with the reservoir circuit and we then also closed the circuit between the two springs on the back wall of the water reservoir. As soon as we did that we got the pump to initiate so all the electrical and control circuits were ok. That broughtTimtotheconclusionthatmy problem was the water I used. Anyway, once I deluged the store bought water with my faucet water everyone was fine.

Great job Tim !!!! Made my holiday so much more enjoyable.

Anyway ..... As my water in Florida has such a high calcium level my next step is to get a water filter that works with the GS3 ........ Suggestions / recommendation by anyone out there???

Thanks for all of your responses trying to help solve my mystery

Sepp
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 6:28pm

Hi Sepp. I'm glad you are up and running. Re. water treatment I use an ion exchange cartridge followed by a  charcoal filter cartridge. I bought these with necessary brackets from Chris Coffee.
Bob_M
Bob_M
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 9:05pm

Sorry my mistake. I forgot your GS 3 is operating on reservoir.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 10:20pm

Use the same store bought filtered water and add a very very small pinch of bicarb (about twice the size of a sweetener tablet), this will allow the sensor to work.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La marzocco gs3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373720169067)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+