Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
what is wrong with my Expobar office control?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > what is wrong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Redial

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 3:26pm
Subject: what is wrong with my Expobar office control?

Hi,

New to espresso. I read this forum till my eyes bled and then picked up a used rocky and expobar office control.

I got the expobar, cleaned it and plugged it in.

steam and hot water wands do not work

Then this morning there was water all over my counter. Could these two be related? unrelated? just trapped water because the thing was shipped upsidedown?

Trying to figure out if i need to send it back or not.

Thanks very much in advance.

p.s. the control unit looks like this. What is the thing on the far right? it does not seem to do anything. all other buttons work
http://cdn2.clean-machine.com.au/cm/i/CB-E505B.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:28pm
Subject: Re: what is wrong with my Expobar office control?

If the control panel is still working but steam and hot water aren't, then your boiler pressure (And temperature) has just dropped to the same as the room it's in, the element isn't heating it up. Possibly it overheated when left on and the safety thermostat has shut the boiler down to protect it.  You can probably find the thermostat somewhere on the surface of the boiler and press the button on the thermostat to reset it.  If it overheats often, however, it is a sign that something else is wrong and needs to be looked into.
Does the machine heat up? If it gets hot and the steam/water valves don't let water out then the boiler is dry or the valves are blocked or something...  Need more info, but it isn't good to have the element on if you suspect that the boiler may be dry. If you lean the machine forward and back with the reservoir removed, can you hear the water in the boiler sloshing around?

The asterisk to the right of the other buttons is probably just a start/stop button. Not metered like the other four buttons that can be set to cup-volume sizes. When the machine is brewing on asterisk, it won't shut off on its own, you have to press it again (If it's like the old capresso 401s). I have never played with a flow-metered expobar, sorry.

I hope this helps.  It might be a good idea to contact the seller, they should be more familiar with your machine than I. I'm just imagining that it's like the non-automatic, e-61-vertical boiler-HE machines that I have seen. Post again if it will help.
Redial

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:43am

Im not sure if its relevant, but the grouphead works and puts out hot water. Its the hot water accessory that does not work.

so in summary, the relevant points i think are

1. Unit shipped upsidedown
  2. Grouphead works
  3. Accessories do not work
  4. Unit leaks
  5. Control panel seems to work but maybe not fully functional

If no one has any ideas what might cause 3 or 4 i guess ill have to try to go after seller. This is why i should stay on ebay and off craigslist!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:54am

I'm sorry for your problems.  I bought a new Expobar Office Control and had to return it to the vendor.  Not only did it arrive DOA, but no amount of over-the-phone assistance could revive it . . . this is why I've long said that, while the Expobar Brewtus is a well-made machine with a proven track-record, machines "lower" in their line seem to have QC problems.

Wish I could be of help.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > what is wrong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358184099197)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+