Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Warm up time of Quick Mill Monza
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Warm up time of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
UKCoachCalipari
UKCoachCalipari
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 4:17pm
Subject: Re: Warm up time of Quick Mill Monza

Milwaukeecoffee Said:

Thanks. That's helpful. I'll have more time later this week to play with it. I'm currently finding that anything over 7 grams of coffee is wasted. Also, if the pre infusion is set too high sometimes the machine drips a little before the flow of coffee starts.

Posted December 18, 2012 link

Chris Coffe and they talked me through the setting they use. Theyre at about the same elevation as I am and their results from their videos looked visually good. I at lest used it as a base starting point, then tweaked the Grind courseness and Grind time.

I read from some other users that they adjust the Grinder finer all the way to the stops to get the pour time to 25 seconds. This makes no sense to me. Why would Quick Mill make the ideal grind to the stops?? Another little known fact is that you can adjust the stops by twisting a screw underneath the hopper, but again, why would Quick Mill make this necessary?? There are differences in bean size and oil saturation, but not so much that it should need that drastic of a change in the grinder setting, timing maybe.

I used Lavazza Super Crema as my cataylst for dialing in my 50010
 View Profile Link to this post
UKCoachCalipari
UKCoachCalipari

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 9:09pm

I am about to change out my 2 Piston Rings, soak and clean my group. While I doing this semi-annual maintenence, I'm was thinking of cleaning and waxing the Stainless. I know it's coated. The best Stainless polish I have apparently found touts a particle size of .05 micron, shich I think is even smaller than the additives in common hard tap water, but even this is making me a bit squeemish. I don't want the dreaded swirlies to appear from a polish.

My unit is near perfect now, but as any polished stainelss machine owner can attest, it is a fingerprint, dust magnet. I think if I can get a coat of high heat wax or clear protectant on the exposed stainless, it will make it a breeze to brush of with soft mini-California duster or something. Any advice or experience?
nmix
nmix
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 2:49pm

Giampiero Said:

I know very well 05009 Monza.
Does your model has the "heart" button as deca function?
If yes you can boost and stabilize the warm up just brewing a pair of time using the "heart" button, don't forget to put a cup under the spouts, the grinder will not run but the water flowing will push the termoblock to reach quiclky the proper temperature.

Posted June 27, 2013 link

-  How do you use the  "heart" button ??? I know that is used in order to prepare decaffeine coffee.
-  I agree that is  better to inactivate the pre-infusion function.
-  However the major drawback is when I adjust the coffee quantity more than 7.5 within menu (ceiling is 11) ,the group drops out some coffee which exceeds the top of the group.Bad construction ???
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 4:30pm

UKCoachCalipari Said:

I read from some other users that they adjust the Grinder finer all the way to the stops to get the pour time to 25 seconds. This makes no sense to me. Why would Quick Mill make the ideal grind to the stops?? Another little known fact is that you can adjust the stops by twisting a screw underneath the hopper, but again, why would Quick Mill make this necessary?? There are differences in bean size and oil saturation, but not so much that it should need that drastic of a change in the grinder setting, timing maybe.

I used Lavazza Super Crema as my cataylst for dialing in my 50010

Posted June 27, 2013 link

The grinder is probably set to grind fresh beans- 1-3 weeks post roast. You will find any grinder has a hard time grinding older roasts fine enough to get a proper extraction, they are too dry and stale.   Do your beans have a roast date, or a use by date? If a use by date then you'll be hard pressed to get a good extraction time.
Giampiero

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano
Grinder: Fiorenzato F5
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 5:40pm

nmix Said:

-  How do you use the  "heart" button ??? I know that is used in order to prepare decaffeine coffee.
-  I agree that is  better to inactivate the pre-infusion function.
-  However the major drawback is when I adjust the coffee quantity more than 7.5 within menu (ceiling is 11) ,the group drops out some coffee which exceeds the top of the group.Bad construction ???

Posted July 1, 2013 link

yes "heart" button is for use decaffeinated coffee, but if you press it and than press a coffee selection you will get only an hot water brewing, which can be used or for boost and stabilize the thermoblock temp or for a quick washing of the group:-)
The coffee dose/quantity is even related to the quality of your coffee and the grinding set up.
With the proper grinding set up ( if i remember as well, that period i was using a 60% robusta) i found that 6.8 were correct and you can see in this video the result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHFLsl4JaOU
UKCoachCalipari
UKCoachCalipari

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 6:52pm

CoffeeRon Said:

The grinder is probably set to grind fresh beans- 1-3 weeks post roast. You will find any grinder has a hard time grinding older roasts fine enough to get a proper extraction, they are too dry and stale.   Do your beans have a roast date, or a use by date? If a use by date then you'll be hard pressed to get a good extraction time.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

I get my nightly use Decaf Beans (I decaf exclusive nowadays) from my local cafe whom also is a roaster.  I have been alternating between Decaf Yirgacheffe, Decaf Columbian, and pretty much any Decaf Light Roast they crank out. I stick with the Light Roast because it seems to mingle with milk better and keeps my grinder from getting mucked up.

So what your saying is that the best use by is actually a about a week after roast?
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 9:42pm

UKCoachCalipari Said:

I get my nightly use Decaf Beans (I decaf exclusive nowadays) from my local cafe whom also is a roaster.  I have been alternating between Decaf Yirgacheffe, Decaf Columbian, and pretty much any Decaf Light Roast they crank out. I stick with the Light Roast because it seems to mingle with milk better and keeps my grinder from getting mucked up.

So what your saying is that the best use by is actually a about a week after roast?

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Yes, one to two weeks is generally considered the prime. Opinions vary though, from different people and in regards to different beans. Some say as early as three days. Three weeks would be considered stretching it. You mentioned dialing in with Lavazza Super Crema. If I'm not mistaken that is not a fresh roast and would be difficult to say the least to get a good pull with.
UKCoachCalipari
UKCoachCalipari

Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 6:25pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Yes, one to two weeks is generally considered the prime. Opinions vary though, from different people and in regards to different beans. Some say as early as three days. Three weeks would be considered stretching it. You mentioned dialing in with Lavazza Super Crema. If I'm not mistaken that is not a fresh roast and would be difficult to say the least to get a good pull with.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

I will try to discover the the qty of beans I use within the window of that prime period and buy accordingly.

My Monza was the first Super I hadd owned, and Lavazza Super Crema had been proclaimed as the best, most grinder friendly bean amongst Super Autos because it was such a light non-oily bean, thus not gumming up built-in grinders.

My follow up question is: should I put off calibrating my machine until AFTER removing, soaking, cleaning, lubricating the piston and replacing the Bottom and Top O-Rings? Would this drastically change the extraction parameters Beffore vs. after the maintainence?
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 6:35pm

Not really familiar with your machine but I would say doing the maintenance first would be a good idea. As for the beans it's true you're going to have better luck with lighter beans. Darker roasts can tend to gum up burrs anyways (depends on how dark you're talking of course) and with a superauto you're going to have problems with moisture in the machine getting into the grinder and compounding the problem.
UKCoachCalipari
UKCoachCalipari

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 6:47pm
Subject: Dialing in a Monza 50010

CoffeeRon Said:

Not really familiar with your machine but I would say doing the maintenance first would be a good idea. As for the beans it's true you're going to have better luck with lighter beans. Darker roasts can tend to gum up burrs anyways (depends on how dark you're talking of course) and with a superauto you're going to have problems with moisture in the machine getting into the grinder and compounding the problem.

Posted July 2, 2013 link

Changed out my piston rings, lubed the upper springs/shaft and lower shaft, properly soaked everything getting the gunk buildup, especially the ORing grooves. Honestly it wasn't as bad as I had expected. My old rings probably could have gone longer, they were still rubbery, albeit thinner than the new ones.

I kept my grind setting the same, which I am guesstemating is at about 65%-75%. Picked up some light roast Yirgageffe that had been roasted about 3 days prior. Still at about a 10sec pour. What about the grind time? I think it is at 6.5. Should I jack it up to 6.8 or 7.0 and push the fineness to the stops than back it down in increments to reach a good pour rate?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Warm up time of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.733062028885)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+