Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Buying used, long distance
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying used,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ben_C

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 1:18pm
Subject: Buying used, long distance

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a Kijiji purchase - it's in Toronto, I'm in Vancouver.  Are there any secure ways to handle the transaction or will I have my tail swinging in the breeze?

Cheers Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:07pm
Subject: Re: Buying used, long distance

Don't. Just don't. Trust me.

I learned that lesson the hard way when I was quite young. If you can't see it, touch it, smell it and use it, don't buy it.
It isn't worth the trouble or the hassle. You also risk getting scammed out of a lot of money without any recourse.

If you can buy your machine from somewhere local, you at least have the option to visit the person you bought it from. You
can also visit them at all hours of the night to get your money back if they sold you a lemon. :-)

Better yet, save your pennies and see if you can buy a machine from one of the local coffee equipment places in Vancouver,
at least that way you can get a warranty on it and support in case you run into problems.

I'm sorry to put a damper on your purchase, but I'd hate to see you burn your money, like I did.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:08pm

My understanding it is like craigslist.  There is no guarantees.  I would suggest keep looking till you can find something closer unless you have family in Toronto to do the transaction for you and send it to you afterwards.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ben_C

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:15pm

Thanks for the replies.  You have both echoed my concerns - I have had a lot of good experiences on ebay, but they weren't espresso machines and $1700.

Cheers Ben
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:38pm

I don't mind using Ebay because I can pay with the purchase using a credit card via Paypal. If I get screwed, I can call up my credit card company and revoke the charge.
Then it becomes an issue between Paypal and the vendor and I'm out of the picture as long as I ship the merchandise back.

With Kijiji and Craigslist, using a CC really isn't an option, unfortunately.

You know, you should check out Espressotec. They're in Richmond, BC.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Ben_C

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 3:43pm

I'm going to get in touch with them in the new year.  I started looking at what machine to get and am leaning towards a La Spaziale, not sure about plumbed in or not.  However another volumetric machine may fit the bill - I can't find a LS dealer locally.

Cheers Ben

qualin Said:

I don't mind using Ebay because I can pay with the purchase using a credit card via Paypal. If I get screwed, I can call up my credit card company and revoke the charge.
Then it becomes an issue between Paypal and the vendor and I'm out of the picture as long as I ship the merchandise back.

With Kijiji and Craigslist, using a CC really isn't an option, unfortunately.

You know, you should check out Espressotec. They're in Richmond, BC.

Good luck!

Posted December 14, 2012 link

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 3:54pm

There are a lot of machines out here on the left coast.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jjsaustin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 5:19pm

I was able to pick up a used machine from a CG member and am very pleased. Very smooth transaction other than my check was lost in the mail. I later wired him the money, so it cost me a little more to cancel the check and wire the funds.
Uptowncoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 9:26pm

I have purchased many things long distance but I always try to make sure I am buying from the trusty person or company.  I always ask many questions and pictures.... Even then I did have problem with few of the purchases...  There are risk buying long distance but also can be very rewarding.  Good luck!!!!
Ben_C

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:25am

Thanks for all the replies.  I would have had more confidence if it was a forum member or some other connection but it was a craigslist ad.  They ended up not replying to emails or phone calls which is a bit odd when trying to sell something.  It looked like a good deal - maybe too good? - a Vivaldi used for a photo shoot being flogged off cheap.

Cheers Ben
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Buying used,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.399290084839)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+