Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Group Head PID??
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Group Head PID??  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 9:39am
Subject: Group Head PID??

New to all of this and see that the PID dor DB machines have a sensor in the group boiler and one in the steam boiler. Usually the PID is programmed with an offset so that the water is the correct temp for brewinr. This is how I understand it.. Now.. Are there any machines that have a sensor in the grouphead also so that the temp of the brewing water is more accurate?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:03am
Subject: Re: Group Head PID??

None that I have seen. The group acts as a heat sink and loses heat to the atmosphere. If the group was at the right temperature at idle, the boiler would be about 5-15 degrees overheated. The temperature control system cannot react fast enough to get the correct temperature of water to the coffee during the brew phase. Not to say that it is impossible, but it would be complicated, and thus, expensive. Some machines have active heating of the group, and others have thermosyphon systems to keep the group close to brew temperature. But controlling boiler temperature using group temperature is another story.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:52am

I seem to remember a lady who used to post here named Kristy who had a Silvia with a PID controlled boiler and in addition she put a heater (I believe also controlled) in the group head.  How well it worked I don't know.  As I remember she regarded the Silvia a POC and moved to something else.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
cuznvin

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:25pm

frcn Said:

None that I have seen. The group acts as a heat sink and loses heat to the atmosphere. If the group was at the right temperature at idle, the boiler would be about 5-15 degrees overheated. The temperature control system cannot react fast enough to get the correct temperature of water to the coffee during the brew phase. Not to say that it is impossible, but it would be complicated, and thus, expensive. Some machines have active heating of the group, and others have thermosyphon systems to keep the group close to brew temperature. But controlling boiler temperature using group temperature is another story.

Posted December 14, 2012 link

Thanks.. So, with your experience, which would be better... active heating of the group or the thermosyphon? I was looking at the Vibiemme DB and it says you need to flush the group for up to 4 seconds if it has been idle for awhile. SO, what would be the difference between flushing an HX machine and flushing a DB machine? If they both need flushing, why not just go with the less expensive HX machine (possibly with a PID)??
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:31pm

cuznvin Said:

Are there any machines that have a sensor in the grouphead also so that the temp of the brewing water is more accurate?

Yes, there is at least one ;-)  My home machine has a custom AVR-based board that reads/displays both sensors.

Jim
cuznvin

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:32pm

JGG Said:

Yes, there is at least one ;-)  My home machine has a custom AVR-based board that reads/displays both sensors.

Jim

Nice~!!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:42pm

JGG Said:

WoW!, will you post a pic or two of it please Jim?

I'd really like to see that!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 4:08pm

I would also like some more details on your machine as I'm trying to do something similar.  I've got a thread in the mods section discussing my plans.
JGG
JGG

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:47am

I installed this as a prototype a while back, planning to dress it up.  Guess we all know how those things go ;-)

Functionally, it is almost done (user access to PID tuning parameters is lacking).  But as you can tell by the photos, the installation details need some work.  One of these days I may get around to dressing it up, but it is working just fine the way it is.

This particular prototype is built using an Arduino Pro Mini as a daughterboard.  Since this one was built, I've switched over to using a TC4C board (see the open source TC4 project on Googlecode for more info).

Jim

JGG: pid02.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JGG
JGG

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 7:50am

The innards:

JGG: pid01.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Group Head PID??  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.45946097374)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+