Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Starbucks Barista dying?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
jonnybignote

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:28am
Subject: Starbucks Barista dying?

Hello to any fello Starbucks Barista owners or anyone else reading,

After having a good year out of a used Barista that has served me well, I'm encountering a problem.  Not having changed the grind setting on my Preciso, I'm suddenly faced with the problem of a delay and then slow release of espresso from portafilter, followed by water leaking from the top of the brewhead.  The pump sounds somewhat laboured also.

I'm obviously leaning toward the idea that the pump is dying, but I wondered if anyone else had any theories.  I took it apart and tightened the bolts on the boiler as well as on the four that hold the brewhead to the machine.

I made one for my wife with her 'decaf' beans and that was fine.  I guess the other possibility is that my source for fresh roasted espresso beans have changed their blend or selection slightly, so that I need to make setting changes to my grind.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:35am
Subject: Re: Starbucks Barista dying?

Pumps are cheap and should be easy to replace.   The water leaking out of the top makes me think it is something else.  Try other grinds and see.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonnybignote

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:36am

I just ran with a coarser grind which had the shot flowing quite fast from the portafilter, and it still overflowed.  I should also mention that it trips the socket it's plugged into....
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:44am

jonnybignote Said:

followed by water leaking from the top of the brewhead.  The pump sounds somewhat laboured also.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

I do not know that machine specifically, but most SBDU machines are similar.  I am not sure what you mean top of the brewhead.  Bad PF gasket?

If you turn on the pump with an open wand, how does it flow and sound?

When was it descaled?

Great article here!
Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:50am

jonnybignote Said:

I just ran with a coarser grind which had the shot flowing quite fast from the portafilter, and it still overflowed.  I should also mention that it trips the socket it's plugged into....

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Sounds like a leak from the PF gasket as noted, if I understand correctly.

Tripping GFI often points to a bad element.  Seems like a lot wrong at once???

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:54am

Good parts list and price check here.

Click Here (espressocare.com)

D4F also at
jonnybignote

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:58am

It is technically a Saeco.

Pump with open wand sounds same as usual (it is loud - not a quiet machine, but I don't think any of them are particularly quiet right?) and the flow is good, as it is from the brewhead.

I've attached an image.  The water doesn't leak from the portafilter.  It comes down the side of the outer ring (where the red arrow etc is)  I believe it may also come down from the hole the wand comes from.

I haven't descaled in 5 months or so - probably a little late - but could that alone really be the cause of this??

Thanks

jonnybignote: barista.jpg
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:11pm

So the pump may be ok?

With the top off of the machine, find the leak(s).  Keep your hands out :)  Based on the picture, it is leaking inside the machine and running down, the evaporated residue on the mand and group head.  You may be getting a short, setting off the GFI instead of the element failing.  In addition if the GFI goes off many times it will fail.

D4F also at
jonnybignote

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:20pm

Right - that makes sense to me.  The gfi tripping always happens after the leak starts, so that maybe a short resulting from the water.

It's that, or there is too much backpressure maybe?

The only thing I'm still not sure of - it still seems like the pump is slightly labored sounding prior to the shot pouring (dripping) so I'm hoping it's not something else causing some kind of resistance, which is in turn creating all the other problems as secondary issues - ie too much back pressure for the boiler and other components etc.

Thanks again for the help
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:37pm

Pressure builds over a few seconds and the pump changes sound.  Same on my Gaggia. Your leak is indirect, it leaks in the machine before you see it.  It probably leaks as the pump builds pressure and then runs out.  "Back Pressure" is no more that a blind PF, full pump pressure.  If all gaskets are intact, then you should not leak from full pressure/back pressure.

Look inside and find the leak.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40167593956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+