Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
which machine to buy
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > which machine to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pbraido

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: which machine to buy

Was looking at approx 250
Pbraido
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 6:34pm

pbraido Said:

I have about $600 to spend

Posted December 9, 2012 link

pbraido Said:

Was looking at approx 250

Posted December 10, 2012 link

Hmmmmm . . . . which is it?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
pbraido

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 6:11am

I was looking at around 250 for. Just the grinder
flathead1

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 7:17am

Just a quick comment. 1st line has the Le Lit PL53 grinder for $269. It is a good espresso grinder but don't buy it if you are going to change grinds often. Once set for espresso it can be adjusted within a narrow range but changing to a coarse grind for French Press involves a massive number of turns on the adjusting screw. I own one and have been very happy with it although the throat is small and sometimes you have to stirr the beans to get them to feed into the burrs.

I cannot comment on the Anniversary special they are running which combines the PL53 with the PL41 Espresso Machine because I've never owned the PL41. Check the discussions for both machines.

Bill
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 7:24am

pbraido Said:

I was looking at around 250 for. Just the grinder

Posted December 11, 2012 link

Uh, yeah.  Keep the machine.  Spend $600 on the grinder.  Better results in the cup.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:18pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Uh, yeah.  Keep the machine.  Spend $600 on the grinder.  Better results in the cup.

+1

Then when that machine gives up the ghost or you have more money to spend you are set for the upgraded machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
revolver1978
revolver1978

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 4:13pm

I actually went through this same quandry recently, and decided on the Gaggia Classic. I really did like the looks of the newer Breville models, but the thought of some electric screen or grinder part failing gave me pause.

I like that the Gaggia has less time to get up to temp. I usually am only making drinks for myself, so the ability to pull rapid shots right after one another wasn't a big deal (I understand that is a Rancilio specialty on account of the larger boiler.) Also, the Gaggia was cheaper.

I was initially drawn to the Gaggia Baby, mostly for looks. After a call to WLL and some youtube videos, the Gaggia Classic seemed more repairable and slightly higher quality.

Incidentally, when I picked up the Breville Cafe Roma, it was on Craigslist for $50. I figured I might do this for a month and then lose interest, so why invest a lot of money. 9 months later here I am upgrading. . . .

I think I"m headed in the Baratza direction for a grinder. Not sure which one yet, unless I find a great deal somewhere. . . . .
revolver1978
revolver1978

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 4:13pm

I actually went through this same quandry recently, and decided on the Gaggia Classic. I really did like the looks of the newer Breville models, but the thought of some electric screen or grinder part failing gave me pause.

I like that the Gaggia has less time to get up to temp. I usually am only making drinks for myself, so the ability to pull rapid shots right after one another wasn't a big deal (I understand that is a Rancilio specialty on account of the larger boiler.) Also, the Gaggia was cheaper.

I was initially drawn to the Gaggia Baby, mostly for looks. After a call to WLL and some youtube videos, the Gaggia Classic seemed more repairable and slightly higher quality.

Incidentally, when I picked up the Breville Cafe Roma, it was on Craigslist for $50. I figured I might do this for a month and then lose interest, so why invest a lot of money. 9 months later here I am upgrading. . . .

I think I"m headed in the Baratza direction for a grinder. Not sure which one yet, unless I find a great deal somewhere. . . . .
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:06am

pbraido Said:

I was looking at around 250 for just the grinder

Don't skimp on the grinder! You can brew better espresso with a capable grinder and an entry level espresso machine than with a crap grinder and a commercial machine. The Baratza Preciso is generally agreed to be the entry level grinder for espresso. You can always do better of course. You sould spend as much money as needed on a decent grinder and see what's left for your machine upgrade.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
pbraido

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:25am

Yes I was looking at that grinder and I found one for 229$ which falls within my price range Thanks
pbraido
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > which machine to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.456576108932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+