Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia making awful noise
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia making...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ethom

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia broken :o(
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bosch
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: Silvia making awful noise

Curiosity over that outlet was killing me, so I had a good look and it does appear to be grounded Ė fed by grounded Romex and the bare wire is connected to the outlet.  I donít have a plug in outlet tester.  Can I test for proper ground with the multimeter I have?

If the outlet is good, then I wonder about the plug strip.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 5:16pm

Once you remove it from the machine the plumbing connectios will be open and you can drain itthrough them but the boiler isn't all that big anyway, nothing a small hand towel can't handle.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ethom

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 5:57pm

The disassembly process is eluding me.  I was assuming that I would unscrew the flange bolts to remove the boiler top, circled in the photo.  Rather, do I need to remove the entire boiler assembly?  Can you get me started, please?  I looked around for instructions, but didnít come up with much in terms of the early steps.

ethom: photo6_low.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JGG
JGG

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:44pm

ethom Said:

The disassembly process is eluding me.  I was assuming that I would unscrew the flange bolts to remove the boiler top, circled in the photo.  Rather, do I need to remove the entire boiler assembly?  Can you get me started, please?  I looked around for instructions, but didnít come up with much in terms of the early steps.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Wayne's experience is much more recent than mine.  But I recall being able to remove the hex socket cap screws and lifting the top half of the boiler out of the machine.  The grouphead assembly can remain in place.

Go easy with the screws when you remove them.  You do not want to strip the threading in the holes in the brass grouphead.

Jim
JGG
JGG

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:53pm

ethom Said:

Curiosity over that outlet was killing me, so I had a good look and it does appear to be grounded Ė fed by grounded Romex and the bare wire is connected to the outlet.  I donít have a plug in outlet tester.  Can I test for proper ground with the multimeter I have?

If the outlet is good, then I wonder about the plug strip.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Any chance the outlet is wired for 220V?

Outlet testers are really handy, and cheap.  Here's one example from Lowes.

Jim
ethom

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 7:20pm

Thanks JGG.  It's 110-120 for sure.  I've been using the same outlet for a small DeLonghi pump machine and Braun burr grinder (and drip coffee machine) for years with no issue.  There was a plug strip in series from the outlet to the Silvia, but it has also been there for years.  It's baffling how moving her 20 feet could result in a destroyed boiler (though not verified yet- I've not disassembled to look).

Iíve seen the outlet testers at hardware stores, knowing they could be handy but never really needed one.  Iíll get one for sure now.  

On the fun side, I'm enjoying shots from the DeLonghi and its new partner Vario (Silviaía spurned lover)Ė lovely Guinness effect, beautiful crema from start to finish through a 20-30 second shot, sweet to bitter depending on grind coarseness.  I know the grinder is more important than the water machine, but do I win any record for a grinder costing six to nine times the pulling device?
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 8:28pm

You can check your outlet for proper voltage and wiring with your multi-meter. (be careful)

Click Here (hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu)

...just searched for a quick easy diagram on the plug wiring.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 6:31am

The top of the boiler is indeed held on with the allen screws on the flange. It isn't a big deal to remove the whole group head assembly from the Sylvia but if you would rather not, then make sure you put some rags etc under the boiler before opening it up.

I suspect that you will remove the assy for cleaning of the GH and lower boiler half after you see what is likely inside the boiler, check out my pics. I know you did a descale but, you did buy it used so what care has the machine had in real life?

Once the sheet metal is off the machine, it is only a few screws to remove the whole assembly but then... YMMV!

I replaced the screws with Stainless Steel ones, mine were pretty bad, there should be a law against using steel screws around water devices.

Just to pull a pic or two from the thread, this is what was inside the boiler when first disassembled. It was not clean and shiny like in my above post. This could be waiting or it may not be but only opening it up will prove one way or the other. This is the group head part of the boiler, the lower part you want to leave in the machine.

calblacksmith: youweredrinkingthis.jpg

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 6:39am

And this is what the upper half of the boiler looked like before cleanup.

calblacksmith: anddrinkingthis.jpg

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

ethom

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 12:39pm

Here is the electrical tester result.  Not sure how well you can see the photo, but hot and neutral are reversed.  This condition has never caused trouble with any other device or machine on the outlet, e.g. grinders, drip coffee, small pump espresso, lamps.

Why would it cause a Silvia to fry?

ethom: photo7_low.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia making...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.536227941513)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+