Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need a machine - used HX or new Breville?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need a machine -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ben_C

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:29pm
Subject: Need a machine - used HX or new Breville?

Hi all,

Hello from sunny (?) Vancouver.  I moved to Canada last year and left my coffee gear in Oz (wrong voltage).  I had basic single boiler machine (Isomac Venus) which I found perfectly acceptable for my daily coffee.  My wife was just starting to get used to making the odd coffee herself.

I am now getting sick of driving to the local cafe and getting a hit-or-miss coffee and I am looking for a machine.  Like many I thought the new Breville looked interesting, although I am not sure it's what I am after.  I would prefer the "old school" style machine and have my eye on a second hand HX machine with an E61 group head.

I haven't seen one of these in action but I am assuming that any "flush" etc required will be less mucking around than my old single boiler machine required.  My only real concern is that my wife will be intimidated by the E61 HX machine and won't use it at all - whereas the Breville looks a bit more novice friendly.  How do other coffee geeks find their other half getting along with their equipment?

Cheers Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Need a machine - used HX or new Breville?

Husband will not touch it.  Rather me do it for him.  He doesn't even WANT to learn.  

As a girl that likes cooks it is no big deal.  Does your wife like cook? If she likes it she should be ok following the steps for espresso no matter what you get machine wise.  Tamping etc are steps that must be followed in order like cooking.  My HX is a good deal if you can find one used.  It is not shiny and as such bread wrappers will not melt on it or you burn your hand.  Easy to clean and I don't think looks scary at all.  I also think my grinder is easy to use and a good price.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 1:01pm

Take advantage of Williams Sonoma 25% off and buy the Breville DB for $900. Coupon SAVENOW. They ship to Canada. That's what I did last year.

EDIT: If you want the Breville, have it shipped to the US and pick it up. Williams Sonoma has no love for Canada this year (DB is $1800!!)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 1:03pm

And NS is in Seattle so there are a lot of OSCARS around.  The Brevilles look good and so far has been good machines but they have to over come a lot of years of bad products.  ALSO you have to send it in for cleaning and maintenance.  You can't do anything to it yourself unlike Oscar.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 1:25pm

My worry is that with Brevilles supposed track record in a few years I will have a $900 door stop instead of a $2000 still working perfectly top of the line espresso machine. Will I get 2.5 times better espresso from a high end machine costing 2.5x as much with the grinder being a constant?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 3:05pm

If you can afford the BDB then you can afford a nice NEW HX, these have been on the board for a year now with a lot of comments on it's own thread.

For me, this machine is hands down MUCH better than the BDB...... YMMV
Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

They say lower 48 shipping included. I don't know if they will cross the border for an additional fee or if you need someone on our side to meet you at the crossing after having it sent to them. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Ben_C

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:32pm

That 1st Line machine has some positives - ticks the boxes with HX and E61 - but is it in the same class as, say, a Quickmill Andreja in terms of build quality?  My logic has been that I could trust a second hand quility machine to last me a while.  Skimming through the owners thread there seems to be some niggly issues that can be fairly easily sorted out but the same could be said of the Breville DB machine.  

Cheers Ben
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need a machine -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353028059006)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+