Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1??? help me decide
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Cimbali...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
hydrologic

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:32pm
Subject: La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1??? help me decide

Started with a POS Saeco, went to a Sylvia, then came the Andreja Premium, now rocking a Vivaldi II....now time to upgrade. But what to choose??? the La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1??? I like they are both beastly and capable and beautiful and have volumetric dosing. I love the Elektra's sexy retro looks with the wood handles..wow. The Casa ain't too shabby either...different...sexy as well but more modern. Probably splitting hairs in terms of performance and longevity. I'm a cappuccino guy...I use about 3-4 ounces of milk for my double shot. Almost never do I pull straight shots with no milk. The only drawback is the Electra is one inch deeper and you lose precious counter depth....but that's not enough to sway me away from this beauty. HELP ME DECIDE!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 6:52am
Subject: Re: La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1??? help me decide

There really isn't much to say, go with what you like the looks of best.
One inch of depth will NOT be seen, really unless you put the other machine side by side. It is your money and your personal taste. I like a little different look than the T1 but not enough to stop me from buying one if one came by at a good price.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 7:20am
Subject: Re: La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1??? help me decide

Removed
hydrologic

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 9:31am

Well it might be a slight case of upgraditis but I've had the Vivalvdi for over 4 years and honestly I'm kind over the plastic cheezy look of it. We're going remodel the kitchen and I want something that will go better with it once done. Also, from what I've read, the DT1 or T1 are much more capable machines. Also while spending 3K might be crazy for some people spending over 6K on the GS/3 is completely insane to me and I would never do it so after this upgrade I'll be good until I hit the lottery. What commercial spring lever do you recommend? I've always been intrigued by them.
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 9:48am

If we're voting, the DT1 has the edge in overall build quality, but I say go for the T1 (unless you like updosing which, if I remember, the elektra groups don't like).

Living the caffeinated life.
MikeReilly

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:01pm

JPF Said:

If we're voting, the DT1 has the edge in overall build quality, but I say go for the T1 (unless you like updosing which, if I remember, the elektra groups don't like).

Posted November 12, 2012 link

Actually, Junior isn't super keen on updosing much either in my experience.
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 6:36am

MikeReilly Said:

Actually, Junior isn't super keen on updosing much either in my experience.

Posted November 12, 2012 link

There you go.....T1!

Living the caffeinated life.
joatmon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 6:53am

Removed
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 8:56am

Rich, welcome to CG . . . lived in Santa Cruz for 14 years; always nice to see someone from my old hometown . . .

hydrologic Said:

(W)hat to choose??? the La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 or Elektra Sixties Model T1???

Posted November 11, 2012 link

This was exactly the same choice I had to make several years ago, when I upgraded from a Ala di Vittoria "La Valentina", which I purchased based in no small part based upon the review the above link will take you to.  (I still have it, BTW; I use it in my office Monday-Friday.)

Now, the "Casa" is a newer model, but I was stuck between the La Cimbali Junior DT1 (check out that review) and the Elektra Sixties T1 (check out that review, too -- note the now-discontinued A3 and the T1 are the same machine, just semi-and full).

Flip a coin, Rich.  Both are EXCELLENT machines.  At this point, remember that it's going to be in your kitchen for years to come:  get the one you like the LOOKS of more.  You're going to be living with it for quite a while.  

And congratualtions -- no matter which you choose!

Cheers,
Jason

JasonBrandtLewis: New Home Setup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
hydrologic

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:22pm

well....now I'm confused....or rather...researching more. The lever machines are pretty neat. I like the idea of the lever,  a lot. The Londinium is very tempting but importing direct without a US distributor to support the product is sketchy at best! The Izzo sounds like a great machine but is a little silly looking with the double warming tray. The Bosco looks really nice but almost $4k!  I dunno....more research I suppose.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Cimbali...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453396081924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+