Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dilemma Gaggia Classic vs Breville Infuser
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dilemma Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BrookNYC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 12:03pm
Subject: Dilemma Gaggia Classic vs Breville Infuser

We have a Dilemma in my house. I purchased the Gaggia Classic as a present for my husband and he purchased me a Breville Infuser. Now we have two machines and only space for one. My suggestion was to send both back and get "ourselves" a Breville dual boiler, he suggested to put the Gaggia in his office since it has less buttons and looks more industrial and keep the Breville at home. What would you do?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 2:23pm
Subject: Re: Dilemma Gaggia Classic vs Breville Infuser

I don't know if you've got a grinder, but personally I'd return the Breville and replace it with a grinder (or a grinder upgrade) if I didn't have one - the Breville does not have a good reputation around these parts, compared to the Gaggia, so it'd be the one that went.  And maybe I'd fit a PID kit to the Gaggia if I had any cash left over, plus buy a bottomless PF and other accessories like nice tamper, knockbox and steaming jug.

If you do have a good grinder and the accessories, I'd either go for the Breville DB upgrade or an HX machine around the same price.
BrookNYC

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:03pm

Thanks for the advice. I will go with the pid.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:33pm

What grinder do you have right now? You never really mentioned that you had one?

While the Gaggia may not be a bad thing to have at the office, depending on the circumstances the only issues I see with this are:

1. Your husband would be forced to use Pods with it because I'm sure his co-workers would find the noise of a grinder to be objectionable.  
  2. The Gaggia has a vibration pump, which would make it noisy and again, disruptive.
  3. Many offices have a policy which prohibits high wattage devices, such as coffee makers, space heaters, etc.

IMHO, Better to keep that Gaggia at home and return the Breville, then focus on getting a decent grinder to go with it, like what Dyquik said.
While getting a PID kit for the Gaggia isn't a bad idea as such, you'll see a better improvement in the coffee with a good grinder.

For the money you were thinking about spending on a PID Kit, how about considering a Baratza Vario-W? One of these would make it
extremely easy to measure dose and easier to produce a consistent cup of coffee. These grinders are easy to use and have great reviews.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BrookNYC

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 7:28am

I forgot about the noise :(. I have a brand new Preciso grinder. I could exchanger it, for a Vario grinder if I can convince my husband. Will the grinder really make the most impact on the taste of the coffee?
dyqik

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 8:40am

The Preciso is a good grinder for espresso - it's what I use ;)  I don't think you'll see a big difference between it and the Vario, and I'd only replace mine if I thought I could live with a commercial type espresso grinder in the kitchen.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:19pm

I believe you will see a lot of difference in the cup moving up to a vario.  I did.  I would send the Breville to work and keep the gaggia at home or return the breville.  I did not see this thread before.  At least you have a cool problem. :)  You are a winner no matter what you do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:37pm

I used Oscar at work in a call center for a Christmas party last year.  The vibe pump and my baratza grinder was not that noisy in a noisy place.  In a quiet house I believe it is much more noticeable than it was at work.

Qualin worries about the rotary pump issue, IMHO it is just not worth getting worked up about.  Yes, it is slightly better/expensive and quiet but really I think it is on par with electric radio antenna in my car.  Yes, I have a car that does that, makes the antenna go up and down when I turn the key, but if I got a great deal on a wonderful car that did not have that feature- it would not kill the sale for me. (in fact I like less things to break) It is cool but it doesn't affect the car driving at all.   According to the coffeegeeks I respect, the pump really doesn't change the taste in the cup.  So, it is really not a big deal to me.  Also, where the grinder and machine are located will affect the sound a lot as well.  Reflecting surfaces will amplify sound.  When I used the Oscar in the dinning room while I was working on it there was less noise than in my kitchen.  That is why drink blenders are often in boxes in  restaurants.  They close the door before blending to muffle the sound.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrookNYC

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 1:27pm

I think I will send the Breville back and get the vario instead, but first I am going to play with the Briville since it's already here. I know I will want to upgrade in about 3-4yo so hopefully the Vario will play well with any future machines.
dyqik

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 1:55pm

I don't think the Vario and Preciso are that different in quality of grind, more that they give different cups due to the conical vs. flat burrs issue - I also get a very different cups from my Preciso and Ascaso I-1 with flat burrs (smaller than the Vario's), although both give good espresso by tuning the shot parameters and choice of beans differently.  The shots with the Preciso are definitely brighter and open tasting than the more chocolaty, darker shots with the I-1.  Which one you then prefer is a matter of taste - I like fruitier, brighter shots as a matter of taste.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dilemma Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449362039566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+