Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help! Francis Francis x5 exploded!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Francis...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
phillybride

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 1:51pm
Subject: Help! Francis Francis x5 exploded!

This morning, after I made one shot, I was puttering for a bit before making the second when my x5 made a high pitched alarm sound, them EXPLODED steam!  We ran to flip the circuit breaker as it steamed all of the water it had in reserve.
As you can guess, the company blew me off and told me to look up the repair company's number (which they didn't even have, and the repair company won't call me back.  
Did I do something wrong?  Probably.  And obviously, whatever overheating safety mechanism that was supposed to be there failed.  I'm just grateful I had stepped away or I'd be at the ER right now.
Does anyone have any advice about how to fix this?  Or should the fact that it could have scalded me enough to keep me from ever trusting this brand again?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 2:29pm
Subject: Re: Help! Francis Francis x5 exploded!

I don't know much about that company or their machines.  I remember them being offered as combo packs on the Illy website for half price with a commitment to a year of beans.

There are some guys here who might know the machine insides better and, if so, they can tell you if there's an improved OPV you could upgrade to in order to make the machine safe to operate in the future (without having to worry about another explosion).

Sad to hear they couldn't care less when you contacted them...tells me a lot about ever recommending them (not that I probably would have anyways).

Most of all...I'm glad to hear you weren't injured!

Oh, and you probably did not do anything wrong.  Although it could be (speculating here) that the machine needed descaling.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 6:33pm

It hqs been years since I was inside the X5 I used to have. My total guess is that the thermostst stuck in the heating position

Best advice I can offer is to thank the Lord you were not hurt and use this as a reasin to upgrade to a better machine.

FF uses very small boilers and when you CAN buy parts, they are very expensive but that is Ok as nearly everything is only serviceable by a dealer/ repair shop anyway

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 7:02pm

As I recall, you are not the first one:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/328514

To be fair my search also turned up this incident:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/24195

I don't know the extent of damage or danger you were in with your 'explosion', but there should be overpressure relief and additional fail-safe measures to prevent these dangerous situations. High temperature steam in a high pressure boiler can make for an extremely dangerous bomb. Glad you were not hurt.

Sadly, though rare, I recall one other incident when a commercial machine exploded in a busy cafe.
Edit: i see Randy just posted a link to the story here....

Be safe and replace your machine.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 7:02pm

Check out the blog post dated Friday, August 28, 2009.
And the photo here, and the full story in the news article.

The FF's were never well-regarded around the various forums for anything other than decor, and even there it is a debatable subject. Be thankful, turn it into a table lamp, fountain, or night light, and move on.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
phillybride

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 7:33pm

Wow.  That other story wasn't even the same brand!  I shudder to think what would have happened if my toddler had been in the room.  He's not allowed to be within three feet of this thing, but in this case, that wouldn't have mattered.  This is nonsense, and Im shocked that the company representatives didn't even ask for my name - they clearly didn't care since it was out of warranty.  
I'm going to report this to CPSC and hope enough other people have done this to maybe force a recall.  I'm riled up now!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Francis...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.382673978806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+