Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can the Starbucks Barista Machine make a good shot of espresso?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 4:09pm
Subject: Re: Can the Starbucks Barista Machine make a good shot of espresso?

Im going to go out on a limb and say................Hell no. No harm in trying though.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 4:39pm

I think as the question was asked, the answer is yes.  It is an SBDU with those limitations and it may not be the easiest machine to use.  It has less mass than some and may be more difficult to temperature control.  From what I have read on this machine, and my limited SBDU experience, I believe it can.  The learning curve may take a while for temperature surfing and control, but the queston is about machine capability.  

I am not suggesting that it is the machine that I would recommend, but it is already owned.  I see Gaggia Classic recommended as a good price starting machine and have one based on reading and recommendations here on CG.  Add a PID and it gets fairly easy to use.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 6:02pm

D4F Said:

Sorry, my mistake then.  I thought that you meant that the machine was capable if OP was which is what I had almost posted :)

Posted November 27, 2012 link

My point in rephrasing the question is the machine plays only one part in making espresso.
How and if it can consistently deliver 200F 9 bar water to the coffee is a good start.
These are the fundamental machine issues, the most difficult to achieve with this class of machine.
Can the operator figure out how to squeeze such performance from the Starbucks Barista? I don't know.
TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 6:17pm

I used to own this machine and I can tell you first hand that it can make a decent shot of espresso, but you are going to have trouble being CONSISTENTLY able to make a decent shot of espresso.  Getting a good grinder and removing the pressurized components for the PF are a good start, but the temperature issue is a big deal.  If you are just making lattes and caps you will have much more success as you can hide more of the faults in the pull.  

This machine is more than adequate as a first machine and a good way to go for someone who wants to see if this hobby is for them.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 9:17pm

Velton's and Equator. But you can also look into roasting your own. My first batch was usable, but my second needed more work.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:29pm

You can get a pretty good shot WITH a real espresso grinder.
I'd go for a refurb Preciso.
click here
The Preciso will also do wonderful drip/vac pot, french press.

I also recommend Redbird, as they are VERY reasonable for their 5# bags.
Just Google Redbird Coffee roasters.
Veltons has great coffee as well. I reviewed his espresso blend here.
With shipping included, around $52.
Take out a pound, freeze the rest in 12oz Mason jars in a very cold freezer.

As far as temperature with the Barista, first off, you MYST bleed the steam wand when the brew light goes out. (or whatever is the indicator, it's been a long time since I put mine away).The machine will THEN come out to it's set brew temperature. i've heard of folks modifying this machine to get it hotter.
The bottomless PF would be a great idea, as it's a 53mm, I believe and thus will work with a few other machines, or you can sell it easily should you go to a different sized machine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461400032043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+