Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Le'Lit PL041 vs. Used Isomac Venus
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Le'Lit PL041...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NCPaul

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None yet
Grinder: Kitchen Aide Retro
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: I'm all French Press
Roaster: Nope
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:21pm
Subject: New Le'Lit PL041 vs. Used Isomac Venus

Hey Folks,
Need some advice:  I'm in the market for my first semi-automatic.  I can get a brand new Lelit PL041 with PL53 grinder (for $600) or I can get lightly used Isomac Venus and the same (new) Lelit 053 grinder for about $650 (maybe a bit more).   I like the styling and heft of the Venus better - the toggle switches are really nice and it seems like a more robust machine.

So - here is my main question:  I've read that the Rancilio Silvia can be really finicky and takes quite a bit of effort to get dialed while the Lelit Pl041 is more forgiving.  Where does the Isomac Venus fall in this spectrum?   It shouldn't have the temperature issues of the Sylvia since the brew head is mounted to the boiler like the Lelit but it does have a bigger boiler (both an advantage and disadvantage).  Would you expect the Venus to be more or less user-friendly than the Lelit?

As far as usage goes - I'm probably mostly Americanos during the week and Latte's and Cappuccino's on weekends.   Never more than 2 drinks at a time and probably just 2-4 per day max.

The fact that the Venus is larger is probably a disadvantage since my wife is already balking at the loss of counterspace but I don't think it is a big different (10.25" wide vs. 8.5" wide).  But it might look a tad bigger but I don't think this should play an issue.  

What do ya'll think?

Regards,
Paul
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: New Le'Lit PL041 vs. Used Isomac Venus

*cough* Crossland CC1 *cough*

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see you didn't have a grinder. Hmm, $600 for a machine and grinder seems like a pretty screaming deal.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 9:22pm

NCPaul Said:

Hey Folks,
Need some advice:  I'm in the market for my first semi-automatic.  I can get a brand new Lelit PL041 with PL53 grinder (for $600) or I can get lightly used Isomac Venus and the same (new) Lelit 053 grinder for about $650 (maybe a bit more).   I like the styling and heft of the Venus better - the toggle switches are really nice and it seems like a more robust machine.

What do ya'll think?

Regards,
Paul

Posted November 19, 2012 link

The espresso from each machine, once dialed in, won't be very different. Some things are different though.

Advantages for the Isomac: The OPV on the Venus is adjustable, the portafilter is 58mm (you can experiment with different baskets and tampers are easy to find), the machine is 10 lb heavier, the boiler is larger, and is a 1400 watt machine. 1st Line sells this machine new for almost twice the price of the PL041 - probably something to consider with regard to build quality there.

Advantages for the Lelit: A brand new PL041 has a warranty in case something goes wrong, if bought from 1st Line the site mentions the OPV is pre-adjusted to proper pressure, and it is more compact.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:28pm

I don't know anything about the 'used' state of your Venus, but in terms of build quality the Venus is a far more solid design. Just the plumbing alone; where Le'lit has plastic tubes with multiple compression fittings at full brew pressure and temp where the Venus is all boiler internal stand pipe to machine bored holes in the group head to the 3 way and shower screen. Add the larger boiler, this will provide a more stable brew temp and reliable machine.  OTOH, if the Venus is already a basket case.....

.....With both you will need to work out the magic of obtaining consistent 200F brew temps to the coffee with a thermostat that has much wider swings. Some 'temp surf' some use a PID, I use a thermometer on the boiler.
NCPaul

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None yet
Grinder: Kitchen Aide Retro
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: I'm all French Press
Roaster: Nope
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 8:35pm

Thanks for the input folks.  Sounds like the Venus is the way to go IF, and only if, the used one really is in good condition.

I continue to read people writing about how the Silvia is 'finnicky' and 'unforgiving' - does anyone have an opinion about whether the Venus is more forgiving or the same as the Silvia?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 1:49pm

I've never had a chance to use my Venus along side a Silvia, so I can't compare them. Before I got the Venus I used a Gaggia Espresso for 5+ years. (still have it downstairs...) Between these 2 there is simply no comparison on which I would rather use and what for me makes a much better and more consistent shot.

Really though, for machines and specifically the espresso quality,  it comes down to the ability to deliver 200F water consistently to the puck at around 9 bar.  There are other issues like water distribution at the shower head, pressure ramp, flow, etc. But if you can manage to get your machine to consistently deliver 200F 9 bar shot after shot, you are in the park.  Most machine issues with espresso quality come down to failure to deliver on the basics.
fajimr

Espresso: Elektra MCaL, Elektra T1...
Grinder: SJ for espresso & Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yup
Drip: nope- prefer press pot
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 6:48pm

NCPaul Said:

I continue to read people writing about how the Silvia is 'finnicky' and 'unforgiving' - does anyone have an opinion about whether the Venus is more forgiving or the same as the Silvia?

Posted November 20, 2012 link

i can't comment on this- I only had a Venus and loved it BUT when I was thinking of adding a PID, I found kits for the Silvia and not for the Venus (which I heard was doable but didn't feel like DIY).

plus the venus is a real beauty.
jim
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 8:33pm

fajimr Said:

...plus the venus is a real beauty.
jim

Posted November 21, 2012 link

+1.

I really like the look of the Isomac Venus too. I ended up with a too good to be true deal on a selection of espresso machines and picked the Quick Mill Silvano (the Venus was not one of my options) - my choice for the Silvano was certainly influenced by the look of the machine and the visual similarity with the Venus makes me wonder if the Italian manufacturers Isomac and Quick Mill share any history.

EricBNC: QMS IV.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Le'Lit PL041...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42777299881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+